06-06-2010 02:25 AM
42 12
tools
    I had the same problem today after picking up the EVO.

Purchased it outright (current Sprint customer, not eligible for upgrade but too impatient to wait lol). The sales rep at the Sprint store asked me if I wanted her to activate it there in the store and I said no. They were swamped with other customers picking up the EVOs. Their computer system seemed to be overloaded as well because as I sat waiting to be helped, the 3 or 4 customers who were getting their phones activated at the store had been standing and waiting for about 10 minutes.

So I put the EVO on the charger, went about my day, and then went online to activate the phone that way. I went through the steps but was finally told I needed to call CS to complete the swap. So I did.

Everything went smooth. I was told by the rep on the phone that the data part of my phone wouldn't be activated until 1-2 hours later as the network was overloaded with new EVO owners. A lot of activations for Sprint today. But I was immediately able to make and receive phone calls, as well as send and receive text messages.

About an hour and a half later, I get a message saying the software update is available. I check to make sure I can get on the web, activate mobile hotspot, browse the marketplace, etc... did the update and the phones been working flawlessly ever since.
    06-04-2010 09:22 PM
    Got my Port resubmitted and phone is activated now, just waiting for the port to finish and for data service to activate
    06-04-2010 09:30 PM
    Does anyone know if Sprint's system is back to normal today? I have 2 EVOs pre-ordered at RS that I will pick up later today after flying back home. I plan on calling RS when the plane lands to see if they're back up to speed, but I haven't heard anything about how things are going today.
    06-05-2010 11:33 AM
    Here we are, day two.

I am still unable to activate and update profile.

My phone works using WiFi and 4G, but when I turn them both off and rely on the mobile network (3G), fail fail fail.

It can make calls, but no data, nobody from Sprint could figure it out either.

This really couldn't be a defective unit, could it? =/ The place I bought it from doesn't get a shipment until Tuesday and I don't want to wait!!
    06-05-2010 12:09 PM
    When they were having issues yesterday, BB actually "locked" my activation status, so Sprint couldn't even autoactivate me (BB computer crashed at the "right" moment). So I ended up leaving BB without an activated Evo, and called Sprint CS and had them manually activate it.. now it's a rockin.
    06-05-2010 01:10 PM
    I picked up my Evo at 9am yesterday, and finally got all the kinks worked out around 10:30pm that night.
    06-05-2010 01:12 PM
    I waited for 5hrs yesterday. What a mess that was.
    06-05-2010 01:34 PM
    Decided to port my number today after getting the phone yesterday. Just called CS and
    it was a piece of cake. When I was off the phone the port took about 15 minutes to complete.
    06-05-2010 05:37 PM
    Well I went to RS to pick up both phones and in about 30 minutes I left with 2 phones activated, a couple of chargers and a grand total way less than what I was thinking it would be. Both phones are up and running and being charged as I type. Kudos to the U Village RS in Seattle.
    06-05-2010 09:39 PM
    Glad to hear everyone is up and running... yesterday was a nightmare. I actually rented a zipcar just to drive back to Sprint and try to get things figured out. I feel like today was my first real day with the Evo. Now if we can just get Qik up and running properly, then that will be the REAL first day of being able to enjoy our Evo's.
    06-05-2010 09:53 PM
    What did you guys do?

I still cannot do a 'Update Profile' or 'Update PRL'

Won't auto activate if I reset it either..
    06-05-2010 10:15 PM
    I had the same problems, good now.
    06-05-2010 10:32 PM
    I didn't do anything. By the time I paid for them, they were already fully activated. I logged into both phones with our gmail accounts and then went home. It couldn't have been easier for me.
    06-05-2010 11:32 PM
    What did you guys do?

I still cannot do a 'Update Profile' or 'Update PRL'

Won't auto activate if I reset it either..
    What is it saying when you attempt to UPDATE PROFILE? Are you getting error 1012?
    06-05-2010 11:37 PM
    I walked out of RS Friday about 2pm without making sure they were activated because I started work at 3pm. I rushed home, threw on our screen protectors, and went out the door. My gf's EVO had activated fine but mine did not since I was unable to get data service. Finally at lunch I had some time to play with my phone and just happened to see Device Self Service in the app drawer; I launched it and was able to get up and running and sync my Gmail.

I'm not sure if what I did would be applicable to anyone else but it's worth a shot before calling CS or their respective vendor.
    06-06-2010 01:28 AM
    What is it saying when you attempt to UPDATE PROFILE? Are you getting error 1012?
    Yes, the dreaded 1012

;(
    06-06-2010 01:36 AM
    Yes, the dreaded 1012

;(
    I get the same thing, what does that Mean?? I might as well be running Windows on this thing with that type of error code..
    06-06-2010 02:25 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD