Do you think Sprint can handle the EVO?

atomicdog21

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Let me say quickly I am a longtime Sprint user and big fan overall, so this is an honest question out to people who may have a better idea than I do.

When the iPhone came to ATT, not even the 3G and 3GS, but just the original, it put a lot of strain on their network, causing ridiculous lag and bottleneck on data. This case is a little different of course: there will most likely not be as many EVO 4Gs sold as iPhones, there is 4G to shore up the 3G most will use iinitially, and frankly, Sprint's 3G network is probably better that ATTs. So, to not be any more long winded, my question is this: For people in the know, do you have any concerns about the impact a lot of EVOs will have on Sprint's network? Why or why not?

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Truthfully, there network isn't usually under that much strain. I hope they don't turn into AT&T with generally bad service. Time will tell just how popular this phone it.

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Definitely. Sprint has a huge infrastructure and little customer volume. Also, 4G serves a double purpose as to relieve 3G saturated areas. I see no issues in the future for them.

atomicdog21

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Cool. Very happy to hear the feedback. I figured that since ATT and Sprint have comparable 3G networks (Sprint probably a little more) and Sprint has half as many customers, they had some room to grow.

Slayix312

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Definetly should be able to handle it much easier. Sprint has a lot bigger network (tower and infrastructure wise) then AT&T. WITH fewer customers as well. Not to mention 4g WIMAX is a whole new spectrum that isn't to crowded. I don't think Sprint will have a problem at all.

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Sprint can't even handle all the people trying to get their EVO's activated....hopefully their network fares better.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm more concerned about the SMS infrastructure than I am their data network. They have a history of being pretty strong on the data side but text messaging is notoriously bad in some areas of the country.

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Phone activation and 3G/4G performance are completely different beasts. Sprint might not have predicted this amount of activations for the EVO, but I'm sure they are loving these problems. These are the good problems.

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm more concerned about the SMS infrastructure than I am their data network. They have a history of being pretty strong on the data side but text messaging is notoriously bad in some areas of the country.

Been with them for a little over a year and I haven't had an issue. Definitely can't say the same about T-Mobile.

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
The core network will have no issue. Sprint operates a big time global mpls network with enormous capacity. Each tower is different. Some backhaul on single t1s while others have much higher capacity. Overall I am not concerned but would concede that you could run into issues especially in rural areas.