4g sucks in dc

shin.andy

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I just switched from a blackberry tour to the evo and It's amazing! I didn't really care about the 4g access but I'm paying for it and it sucks. I live in Washington dc and I turn my 4g on to see how fast it is and it's honestly similar to 3g. Whenever I get the, "4g is available in your area" on my phone, I get excited but it's always one bar... I hope 4g gets better,but the phone is awesome. Now I'm trying to learn how to make spreadsheets and documents for work.

Anyone know how??

Also, which email client do people use? I can't highlight anything on my gmail app.... it sucks agh!!!!

e1allen

May 27, 2010
Visit site
have to find out where the 4G tower is located to see how good it can get. I went to the Rt 1 sprint store by applebee's and they had 4g there, but it was like 3g as well. Where I work 3g signal is nonexistent so I assume 4g will be the same.

gt5059b

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Are you indoors or outdoors? The 4G in Atlanta can be very good when outdoors and indoors if near window/wall of building. With a strong signal, I'm getting average 7Mbit down and 1Mbit up.

However with a poor signal it's not that great. The top floor of my townhouse I get a strong 4G signal, but in the basement I don't get 4G, only 3G with 3 bars.

mcduffer

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I used it today in the suburbs of Chicago( Batavia) and man was it fast! Pages loaded almost instantly. No 4G yet where I live here in Morris IL. If they put Wimax on the Walmarts, it would be all good!

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I Live off route 1 across from Potomac Yard and I get 1 bar of 4g all the time. It is so much faster than my blackberry 8330 browser, so i'm all smiles here. ha ha

mikeDCMDVA

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I live in Falls Church, around 10-15 minutes from DC. (Route 50)

When I turn on 4G my Internet works, however, when I turn off 4G. Nothing works.

Still can't "Update Profile" or "Update PRL", both keep timing out.

Called Sprint twice, both calls resulting in them telling me to return the phone to the store and get a new one.

However, one other person from another messageboard told me that Sprint is still getting pummeled with pending activations, etc, so keep trying to "Update Profile" in the System Settings.

shin.andy

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
4g turned on

4G was turned on on Tuesday in Virginia, but Maryland, I'm not sure.
The new 4g network isn't surprising me or giving me the hooray yet. I haven't experienced the full effects of it yet, but I'm traveling back to Chicago next week so let's see how it works out. So far, I get one bar of 4g when I'm at home in Maryland and it's very bad! I live in downtown Bethesda and it's not that great!

gbp

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
fogettaboutit, I can't even get a decent 3G signal 18 miles north of downtown. Sprint is a signal in DC is a joke. I called and complained to them many times. No Luck. I guess the cheap price is keeping me with them.

creativemeat

May 13, 2010
Visit site
DC resident here. Sprint 4G works well outside everywhere I've traveled so far. In my home, I can step outside for a 0-2 bar 4G signal but cant get anything inside, no matter how close I am to my window.

Not a dealbreaker at all. 3G is extremely fast for me. And wifi handles traffic when I'm at home. When I do have a 4G signal, seek times are noticeably quicker even if peak bandwidth is more or less comparable to 3G. I get 2-4 mbps down on 4G and sometimes 1mbps up.

gbp

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
DC resident here. Sprint 4G works well outside everywhere I've traveled so far. In my home, I can step outside for a 0-2 bar 4G signal but cant get anything inside, no matter how close I am to my window.

Not a dealbreaker at all. 3G is extremely fast for me. And wifi handles traffic when I'm at home. When I do have a 4G signal, seek times are noticeably quicker even if peak bandwidth is more or less comparable to 3G. I get 2-4 mbps down on 4G and sometimes 1mbps up.

do you know the general areas the 4G is available in MD side ? I am having issues with 3G itself. There are plenty of places where signal keeps dropping. Nevertheless the fact that 4G available in DC is welcome news

R1_Rydah

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
wow never even bothered to try 4G out... I just assumed it wasn't live yet... will definitely give it a shot tomorrow at work

Setite

May 19, 2010
Visit site
My 4G.. in las vegas is inferior to the 3G. What is the "4g is available in your area" that you mention. I don't recall ever getting a notice on my phone.