Anyone else NOT having light leakage by the capacitive buttons?

Have light leakage?

• Total voters

njschad

May 19, 2010
Visit site
As others have said I have some light coming through from under the buttons in darkness but its only visible from certain angles its not too bad just minor not enough to be distracting while using the phone

MDteX

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Just like above. Some very minor light from the bottom only at a certain angle. I would have never even noticed if it weren't for this poll and making me go look for it.

A definite non-issue.

Last edited:

ERDude

Oct 21, 2009
www.droidtalk.net
Hmm, never thought of the possibility of dust entering through the light leaking areas. Off to Best Buy to do an exchange, well put myself on the list for their 2nd shipment.

batfastard

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
for those that DO have it, take a look at the screen from a side view, is it slightly raised where the light leakage is? all around my evo screen it is slightly lower than the bezel, but on the bottom left near the home button (where my little leakage is) the screen is actually slightly above the bezel.

This is exactly what mine is like. The glass is raised up ever so slightly in the bottom left corner and if I press it back down, the light leakage goes away for a couple of seconds until the glass rises back up again. It is strange.

EVO Navian

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I've have some leakage under the home button and a little under the search button. Here's what it looks like.

attachment.php

I decided to check this 'leakage' deal again in a much darker area, in the closet (lol :cool:) and I do notice similar lighting in this pic. I also noticed that the bottom edge is slightly more raised than the top edges. I pushed the bottom edge lightly and the 'leakage' disappeared. As far as dust collecting in the bottom corner, my Platinum case covers it well. I've only seen dust collect on the corners of the actual case and when removed there is little to no dust on the actual rims of the phone. Case is great, protects and covers this non issue. I even took off the case again to see if it's still slightly raised and light showing through... natah. Case hugs the edges very well so I'm not worried at all :cool: :)

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I was actually just checking this on my Evo and I don't see ANY leakage...

Sent from my rockin' Evo.

berrymods

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Well.... I went ahead, took the plunge and did my own caulk idea. SUCCESS!!!!

I picked up a small tube of black silicone caulk. I took the smallest amount i could get on the tip of my finger (about the size of a grain of rice) and massaged the caulk all the way around the screen in the tiny gap between the screen and the bezel. It completely filled in the crack and now i dont have any light leakage at all!! By using the silicone caulk, the excess wiped off without any issue leaving caulk only between the screen and bezel.

I used a micro fiber cloth to wipe off the screen when I was done.

I am completely happy with the result. I have no desire now to take it back to the Sprint store. Plus, if there was any chance of getting dust under the screen from the small gap, it is now sealed! If you look at the phone, you cant even tell it was done! :)

Exactly! When I press down on the bottom, the light leakage goes away for a few seconds, but always returns. I'd happily volunteer someone else to try out the caulk idea...;) Ha!

I think Yourdogsdead has the right idea. If it starts to annoy me any more, I'll may try to exchange it.

- Doug

boston_ant

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I have major leakage, like extremely noticeable and annoying. I actually thought it was intentional on day 1 as it looked like uniform track lighting coming up from the bottom. I came on here to start my own thread, but it looks like I found one.

Does this warrant an exchange? It's extremely distracting, in the light, looking straight on, however you look at it. And it shows up whether the screen is dark or light.

boston_ant

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I have a Seidio Innocase on, so even if mine did leak, I wouldn't notice.. ;)

Not being rude, but can I ask how the case would block the light leakage? My leakage in coming up from on top of the capacitive buttons on to the bottom of the screen. Unless a case covered up the bottom centimeter of the screen, I don't see how it would cover the light.

And also, how do you like that case, I'm seriously considering it.

ChaosShadow

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
I do, but it's BARELY (and I stress barely) noticeable in a dark room... but my Body Glove case has to be off to see it. So, it's no bother to me :p

Not being rude, but can I ask how the case would block the light leakage? My leakage in coming up from on top of the capacitive buttons on to the bottom of the screen. Unless a case covered up the bottom centimeter of the screen, I don't see how it would cover the light.

Mine's only leakin light at the bottom of the capacitive buttons, and that's where my case covers the leakage. I'm assuming the Seidio case is covering the same spot :cool:

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Everbody has the light leakeage from the top...its normal

however, the abnormal light leakage everyone in this thread talking about is on the bottom, where the seidio case covers it

i absolutely love the cases, although, I had to buy some more felt to put on the 4 corners so the fit would be more snug...people are complaining of creaking and squeaking otherwise

DougDarden

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Well.... I went ahead, took the plunge and did my own caulk idea. SUCCESS!!!!

I picked up a small tube of black silicone caulk. I took the smallest amount i could get on the tip of my finger (about the size of a grain of rice) and massaged the caulk all the way around the screen in the tiny gap between the screen and the bezel. It completely filled in the crack and now i dont have any light leakage at all!! By using the silicone caulk, the excess wiped off without any issue leaving caulk only between the screen and bezel.

I used a micro fiber cloth to wipe off the screen when I was done.

I am completely happy with the result. I have no desire now to take it back to the Sprint store. Plus, if there was any chance of getting dust under the screen from the small gap, it is now sealed! If you look at the phone, you cant even tell it was done! :)

Wow! That's impressive, proaud. I never thought anyone would try it. You've got some guts. Hmmmmm, what to do?....the dangers of caulk? or the hassle of exchange? or the ease/annoyance of trying to ignore the leakage? Decisions, decisions... :)

I'll report back if I work up the nerve to try the "proaud-caulk-technique".

- Doug

boston_ant

May 12, 2010
Visit site

however, the abnormal light leakage everyone in this thread talking about is on the bottom, where the seidio case covers it

i absolutely love the cases, although, I had to buy some more felt to put on the 4 corners so the fit would be more snug...people are complaining of creaking and squeaking otherwise

Interesting. I really hope that the light on mine is not normal because it really gets in the way and causes a glare, especially since I am photophobic. I don't remember noticing this on the display models at the store. I think I'm going to head down to the store and try to compare.

Thanks for the input, I have a body glove on mine now but it feels a little too hard and rigid. I'm looking for something a little softer and more form fitting.

anon(22913)

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I've have some leakage under the home button and a little under the search button. Here's what it looks like.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have this also. Doesn't bother me unless dust gets in there. Personally I think it's just a clear seal that the light is leaking through, I don't think it's actually a "hole" where things can get in.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

Is this really true? I could probably accept the minor leakage at the bottom of the unit, but I expect that light leakage at the top, into the screen area, would be completely unacceptable to many of us. Please tell me you misspoke on this. I'm considering buying an EVO in July, as soon as my AT&T iPhone contract expires, but if true, this would be a serious deal breaker for me.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Is this really true? I could probably accept the minor leakage at the bottom of the unit, but I expect that light leakage at the top, into the screen area, would be completely unacceptable to many of us. Please tell me you misspoke on this. I'm considering buying an EVO in July, as soon as my AT&T iPhone contract expires, but if true, this would be a serious deal breaker for me.

yea, you have to look at it yourself...it is not bothersome at all...it actually looks normal

cheebahawk1

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I just noticed that I have it on my Evo too, but I have to really look for it to even notice it, so its not too bothersome.

For those that are seeing the leakage, is it that noticeable when you have the phone on in a dark area, or are you specifically looking for the leakage?

berrymods

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Wow! That's impressive, proaud. I never thought anyone would try it. You've got some guts. Hmmmmm, what to do?....the dangers of caulk? or the hassle of exchange? or the ease/annoyance of trying to ignore the leakage? Decisions, decisions... :)

I'll report back if I work up the nerve to try the "proaud-caulk-technique".

- Doug

LOL! I am serious. It fixed the issue and you cant even tell it was caulked. No light at all. :) You can't damage the EVO with caulk. it wipes right off. Just make sure it's black. You would really notice white! LMAO!! :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood