Suck it up.. This phone is Magical (maybe)

tkanavy

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I must first admit that lately I find myself peering quizzically at some of the thread topics and the sentiments expressed by many of you (certainly not the majority).

While I attribute many of the negative comments I am reading about the EVO 4G to overly high expectations and unreasonably low cognitive function, I still find it rather tiresome. So forgive me for venting in this thread but I need to get this off my chest:

1. This is a a phone- albeit a ridiculously smart savvy phone. It's not supposed to conform to your every expectation and desire, yet with a little tinkering it certainly tries. It's not going to work exactly like your last phone. You are going to have to deal with a learning curve especially if you, like me, are coming from a different operating system. That does not mean the phone isn't intuitive, it simply means the phone does not believe in autopilot- it was designed to let YOU be the driver.

2. I am coming from the Iphone and Palm Pre. Both of those phones had advantages (coupled with SIGNIFICANT disadvantages) over the EVO, though I'm struggling to remember them as time passes. This device, however, offers a greater sense of freedom and elegance than either. This is a phone worth investing time into, setting up and permitted a proper chance to win your affections before you jump ship. So, stop whining and start googling- it's likely there is a solution to your temporary obstacle.

3. The thought behind some of the options, applications and designs of the phone are simply ingenious. Though I am sure the phone isn't truly magical, but rather its success is based on feats of engineering and science, I would not be completely shocked if a 4.3'' unicorn jumped out from the screen offering me a ride to my Google maps destination and proved me wrong.

I am continually amazed by the amount of configurable options the phone provides. If the phone isn't exactly the way you want it's likely you have not discovered your preferred setup.

4. Many reviews I have read glossed over some of the Evo's finest points. The call quality of this phone is stellar. Here in Phoenix, the fifth largest city in the country, AT&T coverage is pathetic. It renders the Iphone into an Itouch and let's face it, THAT is not what I had in mind. On the contrary the Sprint network took me from Phoenix, Az to Gainesville, Fl without so much as a hint of a dead zone. I could not get to my job from my home on AT&T and say the same.

5. I am not a fan boy. This is my first time using an Android device. I simply gave it a fair chance and allowed it to rock my world.

6. Have a little faith. If your phone is doing something particularly offensive you might have a one off problem and may need a new device. Those situations are expected and happen when a company mass produces a product in an effort to make a profit. If you are experiencing a glitch or low signal strengths give HTC a chance to put out an update and get you fixed up. This is a flagship device and the updates are/will be/have been extremely timely.

7. If a Sprint employee rubbed you the wrong way, treated you disrespectfully, lied to you or conned you into buying insurance- Shame on them. If you let that one employee/store force you out of an amazing phone on a great network- Shame on you.

8. If you can't go on without Itunes, WebOS, your last phone's keyboard, Steve Jobs explicit instructions, a smaller screen, being spoon-fed information or are unable to RTFM and google answers to problems- then you probably don't belong in the smartphone/Android Universe. Return it. Stop coming on here and complaining. I'm getting offended. :p

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Tragic, you took the words right out of my mouth, people just don't want to leave their comfort zones. I had a Palm Pre and now when I pick it up I can't believe I went a year will that tiny screen. One thing for sure big screen are the future and I will never go back to anything less than 3.7"

cyberwired

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
+1

I couldn't agree more.
I too come from an IPhone, WinMo, and lastly a Pre. The EVO is so much deeper of a device that it will take time to get used to its depth of possibilities. I would remind those of you who are frustrated that you have a full 30 days to work with the phone, and really put it through it paces. Instead of getting frustrated when you find something that is out of your comfort zone, try to work through the issue. You can find a lot of information online and most issues people will run into do have acceptable solutions. Is the Evo perfect, no. So far, for me at least, it seems to have the least level of compromise for a phone compared to the other smartphones I have owned in the past.

vip_status

May 29, 2010
Visit site
This post was right on time, this is my second Android device, but my third HTC phone following the Mogul, and the Hero. Like RT said, if you do not like the device, or it is too complicated for your taste simply return it, no harm no foul.
Sure 4g is not perfected to your liking, but you already knew this prior to purchasing the phone, we are all beta testers of sorts, and with all beta testing there are sure to be gliches along the way, just deal with it or go back to your 'holey' AT&T or VZW, where ever it is you came from.

p.s. I love the plans Sprint have, nearly nowhere else can you get unlimited data, text and near unlimited minutes(unless you call land lines on the regular) for $69 + $10, and a company discount if you qualify(in my case I do).

mcduffer

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
AMEN! My thoughts exactly. I posted in another thread that some people are just way too picky. My favorite was a post that because the blinking LED notification didnt turn 7 different colors that the phone was "a major fail". WOW! ITS A PHONE! The Palm Pre was a major fail, this phone is not.

peconi

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Hey, having the new iPhone just around the corner and finally not even being excited about it is all I wanted... Thanks Evo ;)

Peconi
---
Sent from my Evo 4G

paga912

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Nicely said…I tried to say in another thread but it didnt catch on….maybe because it wasnt a nicely written story..lol..but yea, i agree with you 100%

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Uh... no offense, but if you can't complain about something, then what exactly are forums for? :p

I would think that this forum is more along the lines of Tech support. Nobody wants to see a thread entitled "This phones sucks, going back to blah blah blah"
or any other generic complaining thread.

LikeAChampion3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I would think that this forum is more along the lines of Tech support. Nobody wants to see a thread entitled "This phones sucks, going back to blah blah blah"
or any other generic complaining thread.

Agreed. I am not all that into online forums (or wasn't until a couple months ago I should say), but it seems strange to me that some people spend their time trying to waste others'. I can appreciate it when someone brings a legitimate issue to the forefront so others can review it and determine if it impacts them and in turn logically decide to respond/do something about it. But some of the stuff out there just screams poor intentions and "I want to rain on your parade".

I have to assume that over time, those who don't like the Evo will stop posting and this forum will become pretty darn efficient in terms of helping people that have questions.

I was clueless a few weeks ago, but the Google versus Apple "Nerd War" (I mean that in the nicest way) is truly amusing, yet futile. Its like putting hardcore Rush fans up against a commune of hippies...no one is going to convince anyone to switch over or change their opinion. The best part? I get to sit on the sidelines and watch the crazies on both sides act ridiculous...all while playing with this awesome new toy!

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. I am not all that into online forums (or wasn't until a couple months ago I should say), but it seems strange to me that some people spend their time trying to waste others'. I can appreciate it when someone brings a legitimate issue to the forefront so others can review it and determine if it impacts them and in turn logically decide to respond/do something about it. But some of the stuff out there just screams poor intentions and "I want to rain on your parade".

I have to assume that over time, those who don't like the Evo will stop posting and this forum will become pretty darn efficient in terms of helping people that have questions.

I was clueless a few weeks ago, but the Google versus Apple "Nerd War" (I mean that in the nicest way) is truly amusing, yet futile. Its like putting hardcore Rush fans up against a commune of hippies...no one is going to convince anyone to switch over or change their opinion. The best part? I get to sit on the sidelines and watch the crazies on both sides act ridiculous...all while playing with this awesome new toy!

It's the sad truth but we will have the occasional "troll" whose only goal is to justify his existence through the internet. I hate getting into arguments on the internet, I usually just get pissed off. I good mental joust is always good though.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Really, it's an internet thing. Ford vs Chevy, Mac vs PC, nVidia vs ATI, AMD vs Intel, etc, etc. It's been going on since the old dialup bulletin board days in the 80's.

I see no problem with good natured debating or backing "your team," but some people are just maniacal about it. They can't appreciate someone else's difference of opinion so these types of things usually degenerate into malicious attacks. Sad, really.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance