Weak WiFi antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed with the EVO that in my apartment, I generally don't have more than the dot on the signal indicator, and occasionally it loses it altogether.

With My Pre, I had generally had full signal or one notch below anywhere in my place I don't think it ever dropped signal completely in the year (if it did, it was no more than three or four times, the EVO has lost signal 3 times in two days).

I have a laptop with built-in WiFi in the same place the EVO dropped signal and the laptop shows either 3/5 or 2/5 at all times. The desktop in the similar location shows 4/5 or 3/5 at all times.

Anyone else notice this? Unfortunately, I don't have another handheld device to test it out with. I would figure a laptop or desktop will generally always have a stronger signal in the same environment.

Jerry-O

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Add my name to the list. My bb got great WiFi reception all over my house and now unless I am standing next to my router I get 1 bar or less.

Not very impressive.

peconi

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
My signal is weak too, and out of 15Mbit pipe I get about 3Mbit down on Evo.... Thats not bad really but it does seem its slower...

Peconi
---
Sent from my Evo 4G

cheebahawk1

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Do you think it has to do with the WIFI radio or a software/firmware issue? I hope its the latter and HTC can push out a easy OTA to fix this issue.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This could be a deal breaker for me. Ouch.

I have decent 4G coverage (although it's a bit flaky) and excellent 3G coverage (good speed and no connection issues) around here, so I'm not too concerned about about connection speed. At work it could be an issue as I'm generally much further from the WiFi than I am at home and the cell coverage in the building is pretty weak.

The only issue would be if 4G consumed considerably more power than WiFi. However, it's tough to test that as I'm not going to move my router to my coffee table to run it through courses with a decent signal.

peconi

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Even next to the router I get less than full bars so I'd optimistically assume its software ;)

Peconi
---
Sent from my Evo 4G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles