Playing Videos?

hachsa

May 19, 2010
Visit site
How do I play vids, i have ALOT but it's all in .avi form? Is there not yet an app to play this type of file? I could play it on my old HTC Touch.

If not, What do I convert to? What App do I use?

Gigity

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Just to piggyback on the video question, is there a way to watch movies or TV purchased on iTunes on the EVO?

JuniorWWT

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Act 1 Video Player plays mp4's very nicely. I also use Videora Android Converter on my laptop to convert videos to mp4 format. If you want to rip a dvd you will need a dvd decrypter. Once you have installed Videora there are several links to dvd decrypters. Make sure you follow dvd decrypter directions given in Videora. Videora and dvd decrypter are free. Act 1 is available in market for a couple bucks.

posguy99

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
How do I play vids, i have ALOT but it's all in .avi form? Is there not yet an app to play this type of file? I could play it on my old HTC Touch.

"How do I play an AVI" is nonsense. AVI is a container format, so whatever codec the video was encoded with controls whether or not you can play it, not what the file extension is.

hachsa

May 19, 2010
Visit site
"How do I play an AVI" is nonsense. AVI is a container format, so whatever codec the video was encoded with controls whether or not you can play it, not what the file extension is.

I apologize I'm sorry my knowledge of video formats isn't up to par with yours.

bobodobo

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, that's definitely a negative for me. I wish Apple would understand that they'd sell more content if they made it easier to play on other platforms.

The point is, the DRM limits the number of devices on which the file can play, to reduce piracy. That's why they do it, not because they don't want people to have more options.

Back to the OP's question, according to the user's manual (I don't have my EVO yet, it's in the mail) using the built-in Gallery:

You can play these high-definition MP4 video formats in Gallery:

• H.263 profile 0 @ 30 fps, WVGA (800x480), max 2 Mbps
  •  MPEG-4 simple profile @ 30 fps, 720p (1280x720), max 6 Mbps
  •  H.264 baseline profile @ 30 fps, 720p (1280x720), max 6 Mbps

Last edited: