Fring - Video Call Alternative

diplomat2387

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Has anybody been able to use this app for video calling? I tried with my friend but when we are both on, it only shows the message icon and call icon. No video. When he is offline then it shows all 3. Please feel free to chime in if you got it working.

southflguy

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I have been able to get it working. I linked my Skype contacts and attempted a video call. At first it didn't work and said that the other person was offline. Basically I unlinked the Skype account. Relinked it and then rebooted the phone. It has worked well since. Video quality is pretty good over 3G. Ironically there wasn't a huge difference 3G vs. Wi-Fi which is interesting. I would say the delay is a little under a second.

Has anybody been able to use this app for video calling? I tried with my friend but when we are both on, it only shows the message icon and call icon. No video. When he is offline then it shows all 3. Please feel free to chime in if you got it working.

Chris5#WN

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Fring works but its kinda buggy with Skype, maybe to many users, maybe it needs an update but it works ...

I get alot of issues if the person is on gmaill and trying to recieve a call from me using fring as it wont work if the person is on gmail and skype. Also i get message saying the person is busy, but after 3 trys it works ...

Also syncing with skype is very annoying, even after your contacts are imported sometimes people still dont show up (either gtalk is causing issues, or skype)

Fring to fring is really the best option (EVO - EVO)

diplomat2387

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Fring works but its kinda buggy with Skype, maybe to many users, maybe it needs an update but it works ...

I get alot of issues if the person is on gmaill and trying to recieve a call from me using fring as it wont work if the person is on gmail and skype. Also i get message saying the person is busy, but after 3 trys it works ...

Also syncing with skype is very annoying, even after your contacts are imported sometimes people still dont show up (either gtalk is causing issues, or skype)

Fring to fring is really the best option (EVO - EVO)
I tried to use it with my friend who has an Evo. It shows him online but doesn't show the video button.

Chris5#WN

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I tried to use it with my friend who has an Evo. It shows him online but doesn't show the video button.

Your friend has to be a member of fring as well and you have to add him as a fring contact, also i think he cant be sign in to gmail at the time to, i tried it with a friend and it worked great, lately though i have seen my friend on my buddy list and when i call it says he is busy and than he is no longer online -

diplomat2387

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Your friend has to be a member of fring as well and you have to add him as a fring contact, also i think he cant be sign in to gmail at the time to, i tried it with a friend and it worked great, lately though i have seen my friend on my buddy list and when i call it says he is busy and than he is no longer online -
So do you think gtalk is causing a problem? Because we were on gtalk at the same time.

Chris5#WN

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes when in Fring and you go to call via video if you are on gtalk it comes up the person is on gtalk and it is not compatible with video chat, when you bring up the dialer menu you have to see the person is connected either fring or skype, not gtalk (so sign off gtalk/gmail) and see if that helps) and make sure both of you are registered to Skype and have confirmed eachothers friendship as that will not allow you to see eachother either until you do so!

AngryCPA

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The contact list is definitely a little buggy, and I was getting a lot of delay using fring to PC Skype both over wifi...I hope the Skype app that comes out is smoother than this.

LetitRAIN#AC

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded the app FRING for my htc evo so i can video call with friends on skype and google talk. But when i want to make the call i do not have the video option. All it gives me is the call option and the message option but no video. I tried deleting and downloading the app over and over but same results. I tried to unlink skype and then rebooting but still the same. All i keep getting is the message and call option but no video. Can anyone help me with this problem? Thanks

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Currently it appears only Skype has the video option or Fring directly.. Used it a few times today, unfortunately since I was at work, couldn't do audio.

fstop

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I have used it over both Wifi and 3G. It was pleasantly surprising experience. Well, except for the look of that apparently subhuman being in the front facing camera...

It floored me that I was doing this on a PHONE. The future is now, only on the NOW network, only from Sprint!

ElCartelDR

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone used it for more than a few minutes or so? I keep getting disconnected after a short video call, never lasts more than a minute or so.

Also I wonder if skype takes from your balance to use this because I had about 15 cents and after my first use of this it was gone and that first video chat did seem to last longer than the rest.

Last edited:

marko358

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I just tested it out with shaky results and now my notification bar keeps showing "messages from fring_twitter". I opened the app again and found no messages. How do I get rid of this dang notification?!

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
I just tested it out with shaky results and now my notification bar keeps showing "messages from fring_twitter". I opened the app again and found no messages. How do I get rid of this dang notification?!

Did you tie it with twitter?? If so, do you have twitter updates??

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone used it for more than a few minutes or so? I keep getting disconnected after a short video call, never lasts more than a minute or so.

Also I wonder if skype takes from your balance to use this because I had about 15 cents and after my first use of this it was gone and that first video chat did seem to last longer than the rest.

I haven't had a chance to try it out with my freebie account on Skype, but it's letting me vidchat for a few mins (that's all I've done), with my other Skype acct. and not charging me.

yungwunn911

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
used fring on the evo to make a video call with my cousin who has skype. we did a 10 min video call and it ran flawless. very very impressed.

btw, this was over 3g.