Newbie coming from Palm Pre- Need suggestions

Floridadomer

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
This coming Saturday I will be getting an EVO. I will be leaving my Palm Pre behind....actually on Ebay!:D

I know nothing about the Android OS and how it works.
I have looked at the FAQ section but was hoping you all could suggest some reading on the OS so I can prepare myself for when I get the phone.

Any suggestions would really be appreciated. I will also Google some stuff but I still think its better to ask the folks in these forums. I was a very avid member in PalmCentral.

Thanks in advance,
Deano

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Welcome got got rid of my Pre and I don't know how I made it this long looking at that little screen. Look in the forums and you can also look through the online manual (link below) which I will skim through later today. Other than adjusting to not swiping its pretty simple but there's a lot more settings and things you can do especially apps and battery life is much better.

http://support.sprint.com/global/pdf/user_guides/htc/evo/htc_evo_ug.pdf

Last edited:

OnePalmAddict

Addicted 2 Mobile Gadgets
Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Just gave up my Pre for an Evo last Friday after 15 years with Palm. This is my first experience with Android as well. I think if you play around extensively with the Evo you'll begin to discover pretty quick all the ins and outs. In the meantime, scan the sticky with peoples' top 5 apps for some apps to start exploring (sorry, I don't have enough posts yet to include the link).

HTH,
ME

Bigchris

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Just gave up my Pre for an Evo last Friday after 15 years with Palm. This is my first experience with Android as well. I think if you play around extensively with the Evo you'll begin to discover pretty quick all the ins and outs. In the meantime, scan the sticky with peoples' top 5 apps for some apps to start exploring (sorry, I don't have enough posts yet to include the link).

HTH,
ME

I agree, to me this is the best way, just play around with it and then you'll pick up a lot. Until then, searching the forum and looking at what other people are posting about will help too. The best is hands on..

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Coming from webOS myself, I would say the best suggestion is to forget about the Pre's gesture area! I don't know how many times I have tried to swipe up on the screen to close the app or bring up the launcher!

jlawou

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I just came from WebOS as well. Very glad I made the switch. It takes a little getting used to but it is well worth it. I was pleasently surprised with the notification and ease of use. There are so many ways to customize Android that it can be a little overwhelming at first. But, once you get the phone set up how you like it with all the widgets, shortcuts and so on you will be very happy.

After a couple days go back to the Pre and you will not know how you made it on that little screen for so long.

bennish

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
how's the stability? on the pre, i've never even had to THINK about errors or 'task killers'. apparently this is all the rage for android.

on webos i'm used to it being a completely rock solid os. is this the case with android?

charliegrs

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
how's the stability? on the pre, i've never even had to THINK about errors or 'task killers'. apparently this is all the rage for android.

on webos i'm used to it being a completely rock solid os. is this the case with android?

Are you really so sure that the WebOS is that stable? I had a pre since the day it came out, and the stupid would always give me the "too many cards are open" message even if I only had like 2 cards open. I loved that phone for quite a while, a year into it I couldnt stand it anymore.

As to the OP, my 2 cents is just get the EVO. It felt somewhat daunting at first learning Android {I came from the Pre too} but after playing with the phone for about 2 hours I was pretty comfortable with it. And the screen, my god the giant screen is so lovely, the Pre looks like a phone from 2001 compared to the EVO. Its no longer painful to look at websites, I no longer have to zoom in to see anything. Again, this is just my opinion, but just get it. You will most likely love it.

bennish

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Are you really so sure that the WebOS is that stable? I had a pre since the day it came out, and the stupid would always give me the "too many cards are open" message even if I only had like 2 cards open. I loved that phone for quite a while, a year into it I couldnt stand it anymore.

My pre hasnt done that a single time since an update in like january. So yes, I am that sure. Until it died (rest its soul) i had sms, twitter app and email open at all times, opened up gallery or web on top of them, and flicked them off the screen when finished. never a single error. EVER.

Is this gonna be my experience on android? Or am I going to be spending my time using 'task killers' and feeling like i'm back on windows mobile 5?

Basically I wanna know, can i just trust android to organise my memory and stuff for me? Or am i going to have to do the equivalent of windows task manager? I just want to use it, i won't want to have to organise its memory.

Last edited:

mcduffer

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
on webos i'm used to it being a completely rock solid os. is this the case with android?[/QUOTE]

I had a Pre since June 6 09 and the OS IS NOT rock solid. WebOS was so buggy and pales in comparison to Android. Just get your EVO, learn and be ready to be blown away.

bennish

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
may have answered my own question:

TaskOS for Android Updated | xda-developers

this looks remarkably similar to the way webos works. minimize apps, flick off the one you're finished with.

also, mcduffer - how long did u use the pre for? it was buggy on launch. but they did a LOT in updates. for the past 6 months it's been the most solid os i have ever seen, on mobile or desktop.

biggamer3

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Guys does the Evo 4g have a Preware type homebrew thing going?

Preware was the best thing about the Pre, Customizing the entire phone

kuhawksr1

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
There is a root process and custom ROMs but nothing like Preware. The WebOS patching/homebrew delivery system is awesome. Funny thing is ... I reviewed the list of patches I had applied from Preware AND the apps I had installed on my Pre and found the EVO did everything I needed right out of the box. Every app was available and I didn't need to patch it to do the things I had to patch the Pre to do. Consequently, leaving Preware behind has not impacted me a bit. Although I really have a great deal of respect for those WebOSInternals folks. Wouldn't have lasted a year with the Pre without them.

jmackd1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm coming from the pre as well...To close an app I have been using the back button to exit the application....Is there another way to close the app?

thanks

D3on

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Get the phone. i think its way better then the pre. i can do so much that i cant do on my pre. Its going take some learn to get use to and they hav alot of stuff in the app market for you to customize your phone. really dont need a homebrew like the pre. im loving this phone.

kenmid EVO

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I had the pre, This monster is 10x the pre was. And I really enjoy the pre/webos. I would suggest going to youtube and look at other people videos to get a fill for the android software.

BBossman1

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
WebOS tops anything out there! If you've never used it don't bother to comment. Palm needed a killer feature phone running WebOS, like the EVO to bring it back, unfortunately they gave us the Pre and the Pixie. Hopefully HP can help them deliver in the next 6-9 months. For now EVO is the shiznit!

I've found it no harder adapting to Android and the EVO, than it was for me to go from POS, to WM, to WebOS. Just learn the phone and its functions before you go bogging it down with every app and widget that will fit. I've had mine for about 12 hours now, and have a good handle on the EVO, I'll start adding apps in the next day or so.

Good luck!

biggamer3

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
glad guys who left WebOS still have love for it like i do. Cool place we got here!

cant wait for my Evo coming in a day or to

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20