Bar code scanning apps/market bar codes

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone ELSE having problems scanning bar codes? My cam won't focus in on them at all... while I'm at it, how do we scan a bar code that it on an app that someone has posted?

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
No problems so far with barcode scanning on mine.

Speaking of google goggles, a cool tip is try scanning a business card with it.

horadin

May 8, 2010
Visit site
The trick seems to be the distance the camera is from the barcode. You don't have to fill the whole box with the barcode, I usually hold the camera about a foot away. Hold it still and give it a couple seconds and if it didn't work adjust the distance. It has worked every time for me flawlessly.

Jordus

Banned
May 5, 2010
Visit site
My experiences with the camera on this phone have been PHENOMENAL.

Mine is taking pictures that look way better than a lot of the samples I saw online prior to release.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I hate hate hate the camera Jordus!! I do a LOT of up close pictures, so it's been a REAL learning curve for me. With good lighting (like outside) it takes great pictures, but my BB Tour took the BEST up close pictures ever. I am having to back WAYYYY up to get a good shot, then hold my finger on the screen until it focuses and snaps - I wish there was a way to slow down the time between the flash and the snap - my subject gets FLOODED with light and before the lens can adjust, it snaps the picture and it looks just horrible.

Do you have some good tips on how you're getting better pictures?

As for the bar code scanning, my camera just focuses in and out in and out in and out......never snapping the picture..... am I doing something wrong?

Do we need a special app to scan the barcodes from the Market? I read a review here and it had the barcode link - I didn't know how to scan it.....

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I hate hate hate the camera Jordus!! I do a LOT of up close pictures, so it's been a REAL learning curve for me. With good lighting (like outside) it takes great pictures, but my BB Tour took the BEST up close pictures ever. I am having to back WAYYYY up to get a good shot, then hold my finger on the screen until it focuses and snaps - I wish there was a way to slow down the time between the flash and the snap - my subject gets FLOODED with light and before the lens can adjust, it snaps the picture and it looks just horrible.

Do you have some good tips on how you're getting better pictures?

As for the bar code scanning, my camera just focuses in and out in and out in and out......never snapping the picture..... am I doing something wrong?

Do we need a special app to scan the barcodes from the Market? I read a review here and it had the barcode link - I didn't know how to scan it.....

The key is you need good lighting. If you are blocking the light too much, the camera won't use the flash but use a slower shutter speed and you end up with motion blur. Or it boosts the ISO to the point there's too much noise and it distorts the image to the point it can't read it.

Give that shot. If you're in a store, try to lay the item down rather than taking a snap of an item with the barcode vertical.

Last edited:

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Darth, thanks.... I have seen the "noise" that you refer to in all my shots - should I leave the ISO to auto? What other settings do you recommend? Would you help me learn how to take awesome-r close up pics? You sound like you know what you're talking about. :)

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Let me clear up the bar codes for you ...

Bar codes are for situations where you can point your device at the bar code. If your looking at an article on your phone that has a bar code, you obviously can't take a picture of it. In those cases you hope the person posts a market link and you'd click on that. An instance where a bar code would be handy is if you're reading an article at your PC and someone has posted a code for an app, now you snap a pic of that code and it should open the market to the app (or do whatever function the code instructs). You can test it by going to androlib.com, pull up an app, snap a pic of the QR.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Darth, thanks.... I have seen the "noise" that you refer to in all my shots - should I leave the ISO to auto? What other settings do you recommend? Would you help me learn how to take awesome-r close up pics? You sound like you know what you're talking about. :)

Well, what type of environment are you having trouble? It doesn't get a point where there's simply not enough light no matter what you do.

What apps are you using? Are you taking pictures using the camera and then trying to use them? Or are you using an app like Shopsavvy to scan barcodes?

sYnOnYx

May 20, 2010
Visit site
You cant expect great quality macro(up close) pics from a cell cam. As far as I see there is no setting to adjust the aperture. Your going to wana leave the ISO to auto unless a certain lighting situation calls for it. I noticed it as well though, it doesn't take great macro pics but everything else is good. From what Ive done you need to be at least a foot away. We should be lucky enough we have auto focus.

<---is a Pro Photographer

DroidGnome

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I was having a hard time with my barcode scanner as well at first..

Now I don't have as many issues, mostly because i think I learned a few things:
1) Camera MUST be kept steady. I didn't realize how problematic the autofocus is when you combine it with your hand. (Everyone's hand shakes a little unless you're a surgeon :p )
2) Lighting didn't seem to affect me much, I had similar issues in bright light vs dark.. but for some reason in SUNLIGHT I never had a problem. Might be something to do with the energy saving bulbs in my home.. not sure about that one yet.
3) Odd buggy behavor with scanner...
I posted here about my experience: (Barcode Scanner issues? - Android Forums) but basically if the barcode scanner finds a code it cannot identify it sometimes won't search the net.. when that happens it appears to re-scan codes, but it never will lock on. Restarting the app fixes this issue.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
You cant expect great quality macro(up close) pics from a cell cam. As far as I see there is no setting to adjust the aperture. Your going to wana leave the ISO to auto unless a certain lighting situation calls for it. I noticed it as well though, it doesn't take great macro pics but everything else is good. From what Ive done you need to be at least a foot away. We should be lucky enough we have auto focus.

<---is a Pro Photographer

sYnOnYx, you should see the upclose shots from my BlackBerry Tour. Amazing. Very crisp and incredible detail. I want that from my fancy 8mp high powered high fallutin' EVO dangit!

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Well, what type of environment are you having trouble? It doesn't get a point where there's simply not enough light no matter what you do.

What apps are you using? Are you taking pictures using the camera and then trying to use them? Or are you using an app like Shopsavvy to scan barcodes?

I got the camera to work yesterday at Wal-Mart... I was using Grocery IQ - it's a grocery store app, I'm not sure what to do with it, but I wanted to fill my need for "cool factor" so I got it. LOL... I couldn't get ShopSavvy to work at all...

Blubble#AC

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have also had some trouble with the barcode scanning apps. It really helps to have the code very well lit.

Since this is not always possible, I recommend you download the LED Light app from the Market. This lets you turn the LED light and use it light the barcode better.

Also, I know this seems obvious, but make sure to take the protective plastic off the lens. A coworker was complaining about the camera quality and when I looked at his lens, the lens still had the plastic on it. I showed him how to take it off and now he's happy with the camera.

Regardless, the camera does seem to have some focus issues. My wife's Samsung Moment worked a lot better in side by side tests using ShopSavvy. It was able to quickly focus and scan the barcodes, while the EVO took several tries and only worked when I turned on the LED.

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

rizorith

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I've had similar problems. When I try to scan a barcode it can't focus. It took me a while to figure out that you don't actually scan it like they do in the supermarkets. The scanner I use has a red line so I thought you move the camera but you actually just hold it still and put the box inside the box on your screen. Also, further is better than close and of course as steady as can be.

It works better now but the camera really is pretty crappy so I think this is as good as it gets. I do suspect that there is a autofocus problem in general with the camera so I'm hoping that they update some software in a future update.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
mine works good as long as there is good lighting.
Gotta give it a sec to focus and not too close or far. Gotta find the happy medium.

Also watch for reflective surfaces. That goes with all scanners

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've had similar problems. When I try to scan a barcode it can't focus. It took me a while to figure out that you don't actually scan it like they do in the supermarkets. The scanner I use has a red line so I thought you move the camera but you actually just hold it still and put the box inside the box on your screen. Also, further is better than close and of course as steady as can be.

I find the being 6" - 10" away depending on the size of the barcode makes it much easier. I originally thought light was the biggest issue, but it seems if you are too close the camera can't focus and won't try to read. I just size it so the code fills up around 30% of the "scan box" and it usually reads the code within a couple seconds even in low light.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad