New otterbox

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks man, yeah im gunna seal it with either a pearl clear coat or just glossy bit I dont know

Please let me know (either here or through PM). You've piqued my creative interests, and I would love to dazzle up my spare GN Otterbox.

Best of luck.

P.S. How many coats? When I finished guitars the key was in the amount of layers; are you wetsanding and all of that jazz? Did you prime it?

Actually, if you can just run down your entire process ;). The slick nature of the polycarbonate, combined with it being plastic, leads me to believe that only certain paints can be used. If so, any recommendations?

Stealinhappyhour

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
When the otterbox was bare I went over it with a brillo pad, I didnt use any primer just a pearl blue base and went over it with 480 grit sandpaper then I went over that with yellow glow spray paint by liqitex, I light sanded that to get it smooth and the sprayed blue pearl over half of it with 2 coats after it dries im either gunna spray pearl clear or just glossy what do you think I should do

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
When the otterbox was bare I went over it with a brillo pad, I didnt use any primer just a pearl blue base and went over it with 480 grit sandpaper then I went over that with yellow glow spray paint by liqitex, I light sanded that to get it smooth and the sprayed blue pearl over half of it with 2 coats after it dries im either gunna spray pearl clear or just glossy what do you think I should do

Well if it's anything like I imagine, I would advise doing a light wet sand with the finest (absolute finest grit you've got), then putting a couple more coats on there. Obviously that's hard with your colors how they are (obviously a lot easier with just one color). My concern--and maybe it's unwarranted--is it chipping if it drops. The more thin coats + appropriate sanding = reduces risk of chipping.

Also, you're going to be doing a TON of clear coats to get it perfect. I'd wait to sand those though until you're no longer going to "reach" into the color coat. So something like 4-5 coats.

It's been a long time since I did any dedicated paintwork, but that's the advice I've got.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Oh yeah after I spray the clear coat im gunna wet sand it with 2000 grit but do you think I should go with the pearl clear or just glossy

Depends how much an impact the pearl has. Is it still really clear, just with a pearl effect? Or does it "matte" the color at all? If the latter, go with straight gloss clear. If the former, up to you.