Its not done yet but this is the beginning
    03-08-2012 01:17 PM
    I need some input or ideas rather let me know what you think
    03-08-2012 02:14 PM
    I need some input or ideas rather let me know what you think
    That's fairly badass. I presume you're sealing it; if so, with what? I have a spare otterbox and this, if done right (which I'm liable not to do) would be awesome.
    03-08-2012 02:17 PM
    Thanks man, yeah im gunna seal it with either a pearl clear coat or just glossy bit I dont know
    03-08-2012 03:10 PM
    Oh yeah I forgot to mentiont the blue has pearl in it and the bright yellow glows in the dark
    03-08-2012 03:12 PM
    Thanks man, yeah im gunna seal it with either a pearl clear coat or just glossy bit I dont know
    Please let me know (either here or through PM). You've piqued my creative interests, and I would love to dazzle up my spare GN Otterbox.

Best of luck.

P.S. How many coats? When I finished guitars the key was in the amount of layers; are you wetsanding and all of that jazz? Did you prime it?

Actually, if you can just run down your entire process . The slick nature of the polycarbonate, combined with it being plastic, leads me to believe that only certain paints can be used. If so, any recommendations?
    03-08-2012 03:13 PM
    When the otterbox was bare I went over it with a brillo pad, I didnt use any primer just a pearl blue base and went over it with 480 grit sandpaper then I went over that with yellow glow spray paint by liqitex, I light sanded that to get it smooth and the sprayed blue pearl over half of it with 2 coats after it dries im either gunna spray pearl clear or just glossy what do you think I should do
    03-08-2012 03:31 PM
    When the otterbox was bare I went over it with a brillo pad, I didnt use any primer just a pearl blue base and went over it with 480 grit sandpaper then I went over that with yellow glow spray paint by liqitex, I light sanded that to get it smooth and the sprayed blue pearl over half of it with 2 coats after it dries im either gunna spray pearl clear or just glossy what do you think I should do
    Well if it's anything like I imagine, I would advise doing a light wet sand with the finest (absolute finest grit you've got), then putting a couple more coats on there. Obviously that's hard with your colors how they are (obviously a lot easier with just one color). My concern--and maybe it's unwarranted--is it chipping if it drops. The more thin coats + appropriate sanding = reduces risk of chipping.

Also, you're going to be doing a TON of clear coats to get it perfect. I'd wait to sand those though until you're no longer going to "reach" into the color coat. So something like 4-5 coats.

It's been a long time since I did any dedicated paintwork, but that's the advice I've got.
    03-08-2012 03:35 PM
    Oh yeah after I spray the clear coat im gunna wet sand it with 2000 grit but do you think I should go with the pearl clear or just glossy
    03-08-2012 03:51 PM
    Oh yeah after I spray the clear coat im gunna wet sand it with 2000 grit but do you think I should go with the pearl clear or just glossy
    Depends how much an impact the pearl has. Is it still really clear, just with a pearl effect? Or does it "matte" the color at all? If the latter, go with straight gloss clear. If the former, up to you.
    03-08-2012 03:52 PM
    Its gloss with pearl flake added but I think your right Ill probly just go gloss because the pearl in the blue will probly be enough for me
    03-08-2012 03:55 PM
    This otterbox is my replacement my other one had paint drops all over it from working at my old job color match a auto paint store
    03-08-2012 04:05 PM
    The said it didnt matter because of the warranty otterbox has
    03-08-2012 04:07 PM
    Heres an update on the custom otterbox
    dmmarck likes this.
    03-09-2012 01:42 PM
    Where are you in the process?
    03-09-2012 02:13 PM
    Right now im mixing clear im putting a small amount of pearl in it to see what happens
    03-09-2012 02:37 PM
    Heres the first coat sorry the pictures bad
    03-09-2012 02:55 PM
    Heres done pictures of the first coat after it dried next is 2 more heavy coats then wet sanding!!!
    03-10-2012 12:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD