Evo battery isnt that bad. screens inside...

turbodude

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
15 hours of pretty heavy lifting.

Some phone calls, some wifi, some 4g, a good amount of web browsing, alot of texting, some grooveshark, some btunes.

4678295868_55b9f82348_b.jpg

4677666981_e6035652c0_b.jpg

Only cycled it twice, so i assume it will only get better.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
is that the stock battery widget/app? i dont have my EVO handy at the moment to check.

also check out "BatteryLife" free app on market.

Chevalier

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Why does it seem like Evo users see those three processes (sys/stby/idle) taking up so much more battery real-estate than on other Android phones?

dre3k2

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I'll post my results later. I'm in a mediocre 3G reception area but I'm constantly surrounded by wifi (college student). Took it off charge at 6:30AM. I'll edit this post later and let you know how it does.

UPDATE: It's 12:15pm now. Charge is at 55%. Not bad.. My pre would be closer to 30% right now. Usage included light texting.. reading RSS feeds.. moderate web browsing.. and facebook/twitter updates. Noticed that I'm having the same issue with the battery draining ~6% really quickly and then leveling off. I'll post another update later.

UPDATE: It's 5:08pm now. The phone gave me the "please charge" warning at 5:00pm. I heavily used the internet via wifi to get iPhone 4 updates.. did heavy texting.. did frequent facebook/twitter updates.. and took two 15 minutes phone calls. Very impressed that it managed to hold up throughout an average school day. My pre would've been dead by 1pm.

All in all.. I got about 10.5 hours of use! Not bad! Very satisfied!!

Last edited:

anon28322

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting really good performance too. After sleeping for 7 hours, checking the battery from settings shows that it only goes down one notch. This thing will easily last through the work day. I'm not worried at all :p

jasonaward

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting fantastic battery life from my EVO so far, much better than my previous phone (Palm Pre). As of now, it's been off charger for 28 hours and with light moderate usage, I have about 30% battery remaining.

eric.atx

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
I have barely used mine since and have been up for two hours and my battery is down to seventy percent. Mine must be defective or something. I am seriously considering taking mine back. I'd rather have a phone I can use without being connected to the wall most of the day.

laydros

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Why does it seem like Evo users see those three processes (sys/stby/idle) taking up so much more battery real-estate than on other Android phones?

I found this interesting also. Everyone says the EVO has poor battery life because of 4G, or the huge screen, but according to the battery stats, that isn't the case. I wonder if it is similar for other snapdragon phones like the incredible and N1.

JoeDirte

May 17, 2010
Visit site
15 hours of pretty heavy lifting.

Some phone calls, some wifi, some 4g, a good amount of web browsing, alot of texting, some grooveshark, some btunes.

4678295868_55b9f82348_b.jpg

4677666981_e6035652c0_b.jpg

Only cycled it twice, so i assume it will only get better.

But that's since last boot. Did you reboot after doing a full a charge?

LikeAChampion3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Mine will easily last me through the day, though I do see some "drastic" drops in battery life during some use...its kind of random though (unless I am just not realizing what is causing it). Sometimes I'll hammer on the data, camera, etc and I won't see much of a drop, but sometimes I'll just check some email and RSS feeds and I'll lose 5-10% in 20 minutes. On average, though, I'll have no problem with a daily overnight charge. Its only going to get better, especially when Froyo hits.

sed51329

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I have barely used mine since and have been up for two hours and my battery is down to seventy percent. Mine must be defective or something. I am seriously considering taking mine back. I'd rather have a phone I can use without being connected to the wall most of the day.

Alas, I'm having the same problem. After about 4 or 5 hours of standby, my battery has been diving to 50%.

sed51329

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
And I don't mind charging my phone every night (I had a Pre, let's get real), but charging it two or three times during the day is crazy.

I have everything turned off, and have only really used the phone to take a few picks, text, a few calls, and emails. Light moderate usage.

Are you guys using task killers?

kellte2

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Alas, I'm having the same problem. After about 4 or 5 hours of standby, my battery has been diving to 50%.

Do you use Mail/gmail? I use K-9 Mail to allow for imap idle push and that it doesn't require background data to check mail (it has its own setting).

If background data is on, your phone is going to get lit up.

naddie

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

Maybe we're interpreting this all wrong. Maybe those percentages is how much of those activities were active while the phone was powered on or just for that battery power cycle. It's not that these "activities" actually drain battery life.

That would make more sense: idle and background processes are "active" the most. "Display" is not really a process at all. maybe it just means it was on for 8% of the time the phone was powered on on this cycle.

Kind of like reading the CPU time on Window's Task Manager. The "idle" proccess seem to take up a lot of time. But that's because you're idling most of the time!

Last edited:

mikegodzwa

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm not getting as good of battery life as I would like. After 3 hours of regular use (internet, email, etc.) I'm down 40%. I just installed mini info after reading this thread--thanks guys. The main process that is taking up my battery (89-90%) is the camera. This strange, because the camera isn't running. I have advanced task killer installed and it doesn't show up there. Any thoughts on why this is popping up?

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I am loving my battery life. I am coming from the Palm Pre though. I can get through an entire day on the green. With pretty heavy use as well.

jedisrus

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I think it should be mandatory that if anyone is having a negative experience with their battery they list all apps and widgets they have installed on their EVO. At least that way we might know a little about what is going on for them.

OT - My battery life is stellar! I easily get through a full day with about 20 e-mails, 100 texts sent and received using SMS popup, and hour or so of internet browsing, Friendstream and AC Widgets running, 30 minutes of music, 30 minutes of Pandora, and 5 pictures taken with the camera, and 5 preview videos through Movies app. Oh yeah, probably around 20 minutes of phone calls. ANd at the end of the day I still had 40% left before going to bed!

mabmarc#WP

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
But that's since last boot. Did you reboot after doing a full a charge?

I just installed that app also. My time since last boot is 45:09:53. I charged my phone yesterday twice and last night overnight. I took it off the charger at 6:00am this morning and it has only been running on this charge for a little over 4 hours today and I am down to 57%.

Not sure if that app tells me much.

In the About - Battery info screen it says my phone's uptime is 45 hours and the awake time is 22:28. Does that ratio seem high to anyone?

I am using Seven for email and it could be hammering the battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt