Evo: HOLY CRAP!

Edge767

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I got the Sprint Evo 4G on Friday, June 4th, and I can only say one thing: "HOLY CRAP!"

I can go over features, but that's been done on every site ad nauseum. I can talk about what I like about the phone, but I quite frankly don't have the time or the desire to type out what would amount to a doctoral thesis on how awesome the phone is (both hardware and OS).

What I can say is that the phone has fulfilled my needs (personal and business-wise), that the process for the change-over from the Pre to Android was relatively painless (thank you, Google!), and that the phone is not only utterly usable, but a joy and a pleasure to experience.

With all the things this phone does, I hear myself repeatedly saying, "Holy crap!" because it literally just does everything I need or want it to do (and then a whole lot more). The best part? I am not limited by what HTC, Sprint or Google believes I should or shouldn't be able to have on my phone. It's super-easy to get software onto the phone that exists outside of the official app store. HEAR THAT, APPLE?! And customization of my SEVEN home pages? BRILLIANT!!!

So, I will go on with my day saying, "Holy crap!" and enjoying my new toy. I sincerely hope that the Apple fanboys' who see my awesome phone today don't experience head asplosion syndrome. It'd be a shame to have to clean all that up. :p

Q*bert

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't agree more!

I just added free WiFi tethering and had it up and running in less than a minute!

I've been around this stuff for a long time and have owned most of the latest and greatest phones (most recently a Pre), but this is the most fun I've had by a huge margin.

Disclaimer: I've never owned an iPhone (because of horrible AT&T) but I do know that the obsessively tight control that Apple maintains would never have allowed me to painlessly add functionality like I can with this phone and OS.

Finally, phone nirvana...

jedisrus

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't agree more!

I just added free WiFi tethering and had it up and running in less than a minute!

I've been around this stuff for a long time and have owned most of the latest and greatest phones (most recently a Pre), but this is the most fun I've had by a huge margin.

Disclaimer: I've never owned an iPhone (because of horrible AT&T) but I do know that the obsessively tight control that Apple maintains would never have allowed me to painlessly add functionality like I can with this phone and OS.

Finally, phone nirvana...

Which app are you using for the wifi tethering?

And to the OP - Holy Crap is right!

vor

May 26, 2010
Visit site
199px-Frank_Barone.jpg

"Holy Crap!"

bobodobo

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I know the feeling... the first time I played with mine it was like: Alert! Alert! Code Oscar Mike Golf. Repeat: Oscar Mike Golf. This is not a drill. It's like I've been transported several years into the future of smartphones. Of course, the new iPhone will probably have some amazing features too... but it's great to have choices.

japclev

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Couldn't agree more. Used my old Pre wallpaper and made my home screens look just like my Pre's. Now it is same phone with the right hardware, the right market, and the right features. TY, Sprint EVO.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree with OP 100% - being a smartphone user since the Handspring Treo 270, I have to say this "lovable brick" of a phone blew me away. Being a physical keyboard advocate for years, I was hesitant to embrace any device without one but decided to give this one a try.

Holy Cow!! Is not only the virtual keayboard a breeze to use with this huge screen, but with the advanced voice-to-text engine in Android, I find myself using the keyboard hardly at all for common searches or simple field input.

Now I am really loving my new HTC Evo...

bubbatex

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
Hey all - I have an iPhone, the EVO and an Incredible right now (tired of ATT's dropped calls) - and I had a Pre last year when they came out but went to the iPhone instead. I am having a hard time with the size of the EVO - and the weight. Since many of you came from the Pre - what about you? It might be that I also have this lighter, sleeker Incredible sitting on my desk too that I constantly compare it with. I sort of like the big screen (and 4G possibilities though I am in a 4G area, 3G is more consistent) but find I can type better on the Inc because I don't have to reach so far with my thumbs. I am traveling with both devices this week, so I'll get a better handle on usability I guess.

BTW - the EVO takes better video on 480p rather than HD, IMO. I used the EVO on HD mode Friday at a basketball tourney, then the Incredible on Saturday and then the EVO on 480 on Sunday. The last set were the best quality.

Night Train

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Best phone in the world.

Best reception ever too. Tried the N1 at my workplace building, I barely got a signal. Tried the Incredible, the same. With Sprint, I get a very strong voice and data signal and all is well with the world again.

silvilas

May 14, 2010
Visit site
My wife asked me if I was overcompensating for something after she saw the EVO. Then said "Holy Crap!" after I showed her all the things the EVO could do and how fast it could do them.

edrdoberts

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
Agreed 100%!

I about lost it when I first pulled up a web page for the first time. Since I was on 4G at the time I audibly said "HOLY &?$/ that's fast!" ... and I never swear.

Apart from finding a good radar app (useful for a meteorologist), the Evo has fulfilled my needs... and then some.

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Agreed 100%!

I about lost it when I first pulled up a web page for the first time. Since I was on 4G at the time I audibly said "HOLY &?$/ that's fast!" ... and I never swear.

Apart from finding a good radar app (useful for a meteorologist), the Evo has fulfilled my needs... and then some.

Does the weather channel app radar not meet your needs? Motion radar overlayed onto google maps is about as good as it gets imho.

Deutch

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
Agreed 100%!

Give the app "rainy days" a try. I just found it today and installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance