Google Maps always running?? Disable?

briandap

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed that Google Maps is always running on my phone, even after I close it. It is using 30% of my battery at all times.

This is my first Android phone so sorry if this is a noob question. Any insight?

Also, is there a screenshot app?

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
For your google maps, If you get a task killer your can force kill the actual Google maps app. Beyond that i would recommend turning off gps manually when you are not using it.

For screen shots, unless your rooted atm we are limited to taking them through the sdk, instructions can be found by searching on the main page. If you are rooted, you can search "screen shot" in the market.

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
For screenshots I found a workaround online for the EVO. Get the app called shootme from the market, and once you get it all you do is shake your EVO when you want to take a screen shot. Apparently for most other phones you needed to root for this to work, but for whatever reason not for the EVO.

I have tested it and it works great. No root here either.

briandap

May 13, 2010
Visit site
For your google maps, If you get a task killer your can force kill the actual Google maps app. Beyond that i would recommend turning off gps manually when you are not using it.

Task Killer closes it but then a minute later it will be running again. GPS is also off. Any other input? :(

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
hmmm thats way bizzare, i cant think of anything, check to see if you have another app that uses maps services running...

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
For screenshots I found a workaround online for the EVO. Get the app called shootme from the market, and once you get it all you do is shake your EVO when you want to take a screen shot. Apparently for most other phones you needed to root for this to work, but for whatever reason not for the EVO.

I have tested it and it works great. No root here either.

the only problem with this app is that you have to turn it off when not in use....it goes off when going up or down stairs or anything that requires a little bit of up an down movement

on the other hand, if you have it set to 'shout' then it goes off randomly even when the phone rings!!

hopefulfarm

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
according to recent market comments for shootme, the GB update hosed up the program. Any other suggestions on screen capture programs for our GB phones?

dmora01_AC

May 30, 2011
Visit site
What I did was to force close the app, clean the cache of maps and don't join latitude bc that is the problem

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

rockdiesel

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed that Google Maps is always running on my phone, even after I close it. It is using 30% of my battery at all times.

This is my first Android phone so sorry if this is a noob question. Any insight?

Maps should not consume that much battery unless you are using navigation. When closing the app use the Back Arrow until you have exited the app. If you press Home when the app is running, it might not exit it properly. Just a suggestion. That is how I exit almost all my apps.

SierraJulietSierra

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
If you go into Google Maps and press menu it should say join latitude or you already are joined in. If you are joined in then it shows your location everywhere you go so its always active. go to setting and log out of latitude that will decrease the usage therefore saving your battery's life.

dgrobe2112

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
not certain what phone you are using.. but to screen capture on my evo3d.. its power and home button at the same time..

also, certain apps/widgets require the use of GPS, and maps.. like.. the big HTC clock/weather widget.. cuz of current location.. it requires the use of maps/gps

eldub1

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I noticed when I froze maps using titanium backup, the weather widget or location services stopped working. I just leave it run and just turn off the GPS.

drdivinescorpio

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Some of your application may be using Google map that's why you are unable to kill the application. In my case it was cell phone tracker that was using Google map. Just turn it off and google map would stop running. Still if it doesn't stop running then go to settings<click battery usage<click google map<click force stop. I hope this would help you. Dr Hitesh Sheth

protejah

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
To stop Google maps from always runinng:

1) Log out of Latitude
2) In location settings disable both wireless and GPS
3) Reboot phone

Every time after you use Places or Maps or Navigate repeat steps 2-3 above

Last edited:

peurocs4

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

You might have already figured it out,
But for other people...

If you have "use my GPS setting to advance search, etc." This will cause Google map to always run.

Find the setting in "settings > location" last check box (mostly)...