Why so few plan choices for the EVO?

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I conceed that sprint gives you more stuff, dollar for dollar, with their plans vs. other carriers. $129 per month for 1500 shared, unlimited texting, unlimited mobile-to-moble any carrier, unlimited web, earlier nights and weekends. However, if you don't need all that stuff, you don't have much of an option for cheaper plans? What gives? Why can't they give an option for lower minutes, limited (or no) texting, etc., and still get a smartphone?

Gelst

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Can't you still get the 500 minutes for 69.99 or whatever plus the 10 evo fee?. That still you gives you unlimited text, and unlimited cell to cell and other stuff...

mandarb916

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I conceed that sprint gives you more stuff, dollar for dollar, with their plans vs. other carriers. $129 per month for 1500 shared, unlimited texting, unlimited mobile-to-moble any carrier, unlimited web, earlier nights and weekends. However, if you don't need all that stuff, you don't have much of an option for cheaper plans? What gives? Why can't they give an option for lower minutes, limited (or no) texting, etc., and still get a smartphone?

This is speculation, but Sprint used to be at the bottom of customer satisfaction. One of the things Dan Hesse set out to do with Sprint was to improve on that...cutting down on the types of plans and add-ons, etc, was one of many things they did to cut down on confusion (and subsequently dissatisfaction) by the customers.

For people who do their due dilligence, this can be a bit annoying as it prevents customization of plans to fit your needs. However, the way Sprint has their plans laid out, while there's chance that the plan may be too much for the users needs, there's very little chance that the plan isn't sufficient for the individual user's needs (ie. much less chance of getting hit with overages).

PREvision

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Can't you still get the 500 minutes for 69.99 or whatever plus the 10 evo fee?. That still you gives you unlimited text, and unlimited cell to cell and other stuff...

Sprint does not let you share 500 minutes plans. I wish they would as my wife and me only use around 100 to 200 minutes total (yup, we are not phone addicts :) )

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it is 450. However, I am looking for a shared plan, and the smallest shared plan for evo is 1500, unless I am missing something or need a secret handshake/password.

This is speculation, but Sprint used to be at the bottom of customer satisfaction. One of the things Dan Hesse set out to do with Sprint was to improve on that...cutting down on the types of plans and add-ons, etc, was one of many things they did to cut down on confusion (and subsequently dissatisfaction) by the customers.

For people who do their due dilligence, this can be a bit annoying as it prevents customization of plans to fit your needs. However, the way Sprint has their plans laid out, while there's chance that the plan may be too much for the users needs, there's very little chance that the plan isn't sufficient for the individual user's needs (ie. much less chance of getting hit with overages).
This makes sense. I don't think there is ANY CHANCE someone would think these plans are feature-rich enough. But, as you said, it misses out on the other half of the users who don't want/need that much.

Sprint does not let you share 500 minutes plans. I wish they would as my wife and me only use around 100 to 200 minutes total (yup, we are not phone addicts :) )
You and me both. Maybe we should go in on a family plan together? haha. Currently I have 4 lines and we have an old 400 minute plan with TMO, and 400 minutes is plenty for us.

After seeing the Evo in BBuy yesterday, I'm not sure I'll be happy with anything else. However, I'm not sure I can stand paying the extra money it will take per year to pay for the plan that comes with it. When you think about it, and extra $20 or so per month adds up fast. I guess that could be money saved for the next phone that might be better than the Evo.

mstrace

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Yes, it is 450. However, I am looking for a shared plan, and the smallest shared plan for evo is 1500, unless I am missing something or need a secret handshake/password.

This makes sense. I don't think there is ANY CHANCE someone would think these plans are feature-rich enough. But, as you said, it misses out on the other half of the users who don't want/need that much.

You and me both. Maybe we should go in on a family plan together? haha. Currently I have 4 lines and we have an old 400 minute plan with TMO, and 400 minutes is plenty for us.

After seeing the Evo in BBuy yesterday, I'm not sure I'll be happy with anything else. However, I'm not sure I can stand paying the extra money it will take per year to pay for the plan that comes with it. When you think about it, and extra $20 or so per month adds up fast. I guess that could be money saved for the next phone that might be better than the Evo.

i too hardly touch my anytime minutes, especially since i started to use google voice (i pay the xtra $5 for 3 numbers on any carrier & don't touch my minutes.)

this is a little bit off topic but i think the topic's been covered. does anyone know what phones are next for sprint/android now that the evos been launched besides the motorolla i1 for nextel/boost?

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
even if they did have plans with less stuff, it wouldn't be that much of a price difference.

Think of ATT and Verizon..they have so many limits

I use my sprint phone without any worries about going over my minutes, data, and textsb

marioc

May 31, 2010
Visit site

If you don't have one already, be sure to look into the numerous corporate discounts Sprint offers. I happen to luck into a 25% corporate discount on my account. Go here Sprint | Employer Discounts: Submit Email and see if your employer has a discount associated with them. At the very least, if you're a member of a credit union, Sprint offers a 10% discount on your monthly plan. Check out this site for that one Credit Union & Sprint1.

I know it makes my bill a lot easier to take each month.

charliegrs

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
even if they did have plans with less stuff, it wouldn't be that much of a price difference.

Think of ATT and Verizon..they have so many limits

I use my sprint phone without any worries about going over my minutes, data, and textsb

This is exactly why I love sprint, and have upgraded from a Pre to an EVO instead of jumping to Verizon and getting a Droid. My bill stays exactly the same, every month. I have the 69.99 plan +10 dollar EVO charge {which is BS when you dont live in a 4g area but thats been discussed to death already} so I get 450 minutes which I never use because of the free mobile to mobile, and everything else is unlimited texts, pictures, data etc. Its a million times easier to budget your life when your bills stay the same every month.

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
We're the same way. It's me, my partner, and our son (who is 18) and between the 3 of us we use less than 500 minutes, but that's just the way it is. There's not a cheaper family plan around unfortunately.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
We're the same way. It's me, my partner, and our son (who is 18) and between the 3 of us we use less than 500 minutes, but that's just the way it is. There's not a cheaper family plan around unfortunately.

For people with more than 2, the deal gets better, since you are adding each additional line for $19 + $10 for Evo, which is better than anyone else...as long as everyone needs data. Another instance of overselling ...there isn't an option to have a voice-only line.