06-19-2010 02:12 PM
256 ... 56789 ...
tools
    hmmmmm wonder why my cell standby is so high on battery usage? its at 44%. Maybe because I drive around alot as a field service tech? like all over metro detroit, flint, saginaw, mi, etc. when you move around different areas that are many miles apart the phone will use more battery jumping towers right?
    06-09-2010 09:21 AM
    I did 17 hours with a combo of 3g and WiFi and 15 hours using 4g and WiFi with steady useof internet, seismic, gmail, and other apps. Doing all 3g after this charge. This phone loses nothing asleep connected to WiFi for me. Went to bed last night with the battery showing yellow, wake up 7 hours later...still yellow, maybe lost 5% max.

I feel for you guys not getting these numbers. I was on that side of the fence with the pre. I was dumbfounded how others could be getting such good life. I still think my biggest change was disabling always on mobile data. I don't see any ill effects....maybe gmail doesn't push 100% of the time but even after sleeping quite awhile, it comes within 5 minutes, which works for me. No automatic task killer.
    06-09-2010 09:35 AM
    Update...
    I was one of the users whos battery was originally lasting around 4 hours. I followed the tips in this thread as well as the link to 20 tips to maximize your battery. I have ATK installed set to Agressive and killing apps every 30 mins.

That being said, yesterday my battery lasted just around 12 hours!!! I couldnt be happier. During that time I messed with apps, a few phone calls, surf the web, and used sprint nav.

Thanks to all for the help.

EDIT: I am removing ATK and see if this does anything for the battery. My alarm didnt go off this morning and come to find out that ATK killed it.

Edit2: After uninstalling ATK I saw a significant amount of battery loss. I am re-installing ATK and will just set it to not kill the alarm.
    06-09-2010 10:03 AM
    Well.. im satisfied.

Up Time 9:28:03
    Awake Time 3:56:28

Almost 10 hours and im at 7%.

What i have realize after reading countless posts and threads, is that its hard to compare stats with people who use the phone primarily to text their girlfriends or play tetris. I keep reading "my battery lasted 16 hours with moderate usage..." and moderate is described as 30 text messages and 2 calls. LOL. As you can see.. i use my phone as a phone.. that's why its awake 50% of the time i have it powered on. (I'm coming from a blackberry). I sent about 200 emails... made several calls (2 lasting about 30 minutes), kept gtalk open the whole time (to replace BBM) took several pictures and browsed. Tested out Layer with Twitted 3D.... I sent about 10 text messages.

I'd consider myself more of a power user... so this is acceptable to me.

I did this with ATK uninstalled.... (and in spite of what the developers say... i still believe ATK would have given me better battery life... but tomorrow is another test.

As a side note.. i find the last 15% the hardest to kill. I've been at 15% for over an hour and still going.
    06-09-2010 03:14 PM
    It has been said before but I will say it again. It may take several full battery cycles of a full charge/discharge for it to obtain full strength. Some improvements may just be the battery gaining its full potential and nothing you are turning off.

I know the jury is still out on this issue and I am unsure how it really affects it but I wanted to put it out there just in case! ii
    06-09-2010 03:44 PM
    Well.. im satisfied.

Up Time 9:28:03
    Awake Time 3:56:28

Almost 10 hours and im at 7%.

What i have realize after reading countless posts and threads, is that its hard to compare stats with people who use the phone primarily to text their girlfriends or play tetris. I keep reading "my battery lasted 16 hours with moderate usage..." and moderate is described as 30 text messages and 2 calls. LOL. As you can see.. i use my phone as a phone.. that's why its awake 50% of the time i have it powered on. (I'm coming from a blackberry). I sent about 200 emails... made several calls (2 lasting about 30 minutes), kept gtalk open the whole time (to replace BBM) took several pictures and browsed. Tested out Layer with Twitted 3D.... I sent about 10 text messages.

I'd consider myself more of a power user... so this is acceptable to me.

I did this with ATK uninstalled.... (and in spite of what the developers say... i still believe ATK would have given me better battery life... but tomorrow is another test.

As a side note.. i find the last 15% the hardest to kill. I've been at 15% for over an hour and still going.
    that's not bad...interesting you would even switch away from blackberry given your use fits perfectly to a blackberry and less to the evo...I'm satisfied with the battery given my usage although it's much more texts, apps, internet, personal gmail (in that order). I can't imagine this phone is the right fit for almost strictly an emailer.
    06-09-2010 05:54 PM
    Super happy with my battery now after doing a couple tips in here. Like turning google talk off. I am at 14 1/2 hours since off the charger and battery is at 37%. I am getting as good or better battery life on the Evo then I did on my Hero.

I have tried to use my phone with both ATK and with out it. I uninstalled it for a week to try and see if the battery was better. I find better success with one. But I guess to each is own.

I think most of the battery problems in here is user error and there is a learning curve with the OS. Jmo.
    06-09-2010 08:04 PM
    Super happy with my battery now after doing a couple tips in here. Like turning google talk off. I am at 14 1/2 hours since off the charger and battery is at 37%. I am getting as good or better battery life on the Evo then I did on my Hero.

I have tried to use my phone with both ATK and with out it. I uninstalled it for a week to try and see if the battery was better. I find better success with one. But I guess to each is own.

I think most of the battery problems in here is user error and there is a learning curve with the OS. Jmo.
    Seemed like logging out of Talk really helped me. I have been running 10+ hours and am at 48%. I admit I was not using it that much overall but I did tether through wi-fi for over an hour and that alone usually drained it like crazy in the past so there is an improvement anyway.

I also think cycling through a complete discharge/charge is helping.
    06-09-2010 08:16 PM
    I have implemented most if not all of the power saving tips I could find, excluding an active app killer. There is a built-in app to check for running apps, I used that, I don't see any rouge apps that I don't want running. Besides, Android takes care a lot of that if you make the proper selections for settings in each app.

I've had my unit for 5 days, so it's seen plenty charge cycles. I'm getting:

Up Time = ~11 hrs
    Awake Time = ~5 hrs

This is w/ normal "geeky", "smartphone" use. Not the heaviest use I could have done. But also not letting it sit on standby, and just taking calls.

So, I can't get past ~11 hrs w/ regular use of the phone. Based on overnight runs, if I did just use it as a phone, w/ email, but not gps, wifi, internet, etc., and if I ran it to 0%, I might get 13 - 16 hours. But then, it wouldn't really be a smart phone then, would it? It would be a dumb phone.
    06-09-2010 08:38 PM
    that's not bad...interesting you would even switch away from blackberry given your use fits perfectly to a blackberry and less to the evo...I'm satisfied with the battery given my usage although it's much more texts, apps, internet, personal gmail (in that order). I can't imagine this phone is the right fit for almost strictly an emailer.
    I understand. I was just tired of the Blackberry OS... needed a change. I used the blackberry since 2001 and was excited to try a different OS.
    06-09-2010 09:38 PM
    Glad it works for you. I am loving this OS and battery life given all it does and the screen size. I'm on my third day over 12 hours per day....I might let it run overnight and hit 18+ hours. My ultimate test is Vegas next weekend....it handles what I need there, I have my best phone since who knows when.
    06-09-2010 11:15 PM
    idk i having battery issues too and i follwed the tips and tricks thing with the end all programs and turn everything off and i charged it full and let it go dead and did it again and it keep lasting me only 5 hours max and i cant stand haveing to charge it or bringing a house charger or car charger everywhere i go or unplug my phone while it is charging in the car and it almost dead i know it is a smart phone and it takes juice to do thing but all i really do is text and occionaly look up something or a look up directions im not on it all day
    06-10-2010 01:35 AM
    What's a normal battery profile? I noticed that Android System was taking up at least 90% of battery usage in a cycle. I have Google sync (wish I could switch that from auto to a defined time period), Facebook sync every 2 hours, and Weather sync every 3 hours. I use the iHeartRadio and RadioTime apps for a considerable amount of time, probably about 1/2-2 hours per day. I typically get down to about 40% after 5 or 6 hours, then recharge. This can't be part of "Android System", can it? One thing that disturbed me, though, was watching the battery meter drain down by a couple percentage points every few minutes while I was typing away in the Gmail app.
    06-10-2010 01:44 AM
    I'm on a Seidio extended battery and I've now had it in normal use for about 14 hours today and I still have a good third of the battery left. I was worried for the first couple of days, but it seems to be leveling out to a more standard operating time. That first 10% really bleeds out fast. From 90% down it seems much more reasonable in battery use.
    06-10-2010 02:08 AM
    First, thanks to all that have provided good input on this topic. I was having problems with my battery and followed the steps mentioned in this thread and other sites that were mentioned. I did a hard reset on my phone and I am still having the same issues. I pulled my phone off the charger at 7:00 this morning and after reading a few emails, sending/recieving 10 text msgs, and re-downloading some of my apps i lost after the hard reset, my battery is at 66% at 10:00 am. I am also using ATK. Other than going back to Sprint for another battery, are there any other suggestions i can try?
    06-10-2010 09:19 AM
    MrTYC.

I struggled all weekend and i can now say i'm more than happy. After 3 hours I'm at 85% I truly have a real understanding of how the phone works and the battery.

I'll ask some questions and just let me know:

1) Google Talk: do you have it to start automatically?
    2) GPS and 4G turned off?

I'm sure we can figure it out. In my first hour... i only lost 5%.. I use to lose that just by turning it on.

I've also unistalled ATK (not saying you have to... but not necessary and actually can use more battery power if you have auto kill setting set up wrong)... this coming from an ATK fanboy not more than 6 days ago.
    06-10-2010 09:53 AM
    Today's settings:

Accounts & Sync. I keep background data checked as well as auto-sync

Facebook for HTC Sense Syncs Live feed and contacts checked. Update schedule every 2 hours.

Google. .... all 3 checked calendar, contacts and gmail

I don't sync news or stocks.

Twitter... I have twitter data checked... i dont need twitter contacts so that is unchecked.

Weather at every 3 hours.

I only use Twitter... NOT PEEP. (i prefer to use apps designed by android for now and twitter serves my needs). If you using twitter by android, i sync every 2 hours

Here is the basic idea. My phone stays current with out ATK actullay monitoring it every 5 minutes for background apps. My gmail comes through instantly. My facebooke and twitter notifications come through instantly. If i want to see the last 5 minutes of facebook/twitter i just refresh (truth is i dont need to see every twitter update as a constant stream).

Its also the first day ive turn off enable always on mobile data... and nothing has happened (the warning actually says it uses more power when on)

Id love someone else to try my settings and see what they think
    06-10-2010 10:03 AM
    As some of u may know, I've been getting crappy battery life n was tweaking a lot of settings to get the battery to last.

I also had a theory on battery usage n the percentage the "display" was at.

I think I finally solved it and battery is doing really good today. I've been using it normally
    (Usage similar from day 1) & my battery is at 70% after 5.5hrs.

I'm at work now & can't write in detail, but will start a new thread with admin blessings.
    06-10-2010 11:57 AM
    Would the original poster be willing to list any confirmed battery saving tips in this thread on the first post? I am assuming that this has different tips/info than the other sticky thread with battery tips.

If I'm wrong and all the tips are the same as listed on the other sticky, then my apologies...I don't care if this post gets deleted.

After reading a few pages I skipped to the last two pages and noticed more than one person who got tips that resolved their problem via this thread (and maybe some other threads too).
    06-10-2010 12:09 PM
    AldousSnow

Thanks for your assistance. My google talk is not set to start automatically I am not currently signed in on there. I also keep the gps and 4g off unless i'm using them. I dont use facebook or twitter, so no issues there. It seems like our settings are pretty similar though, but i don't know maybe i have something going on in the background that I don't know is running. Hopefully, i'll be able to get this resolved and have as much fun with my Evo as you are with your....
    06-10-2010 01:21 PM
    just got 19 hours of from last charge im happy with that
    06-10-2010 01:50 PM
    Coming from a Pre my battery life has been very good and it should get even better once the novelty has worn out, right now its hard for me to put down. With moderate use it will last all day unlike my Pre. You either have a bad phone, battery, app or your setting are draining draining your battery. I just turned off haptic feedback, auto drimming, some sounds and installed a battery widget, hopefully it gets even better.
    06-10-2010 09:04 PM
    My battery seems to be lasting better than my previous G1. One thing I haven't done is enabled any of the social networking apps that comes with the phone. I have 4G, Wifi, GPS all enabled and I can easily last all day with moderate use.
    06-10-2010 09:07 PM
    I hear 2 things which I can confirm 1.. with my evo 4g..

1 - the % goes down quick from 100%.. I've noticed this too, but it then sticks in the 80%'s and sub 20%'s for a LOOOT longer.. I'm thinking the % indication is dropping fast the first 10 - 20% and then sloooows way down.. I've had no problems with battery life on this using 3G..

2 - I can't confirm, but 4G sucks the battery dry.. If this is the case then the solution seems simple to me.. Don't use 4G unless your doing something intense like video chat or downloading / streaming video etc, and if your doing those things i'd be expecting my battery to suck too.. Stick to 3G for everything else..

Battery life is still way better than my palm pre was doing pretty much my same daily routines.. IN fact I would say I do a lot more with the EVO cuz it can

-D2G
    06-10-2010 10:25 PM
    To all those on the fence about whether to use a task killer or not - I say at least TRY IT. I used my Evo for 5 days without one and the best I could get out of a full charge was 6-7 hours. After I installed Advanced Task Killer I am getting 12 - 18 hours depending on usage. I am using the Auto Kill feature set to Safe and every 30 minutes.

Read this article on task killers by Jerry Hildenbrand - http://www.androidcentral.com/how-pr...s-i-went-there

As long as you set your ignore list correctly and if your not really sure about an app just ignore it to be safe. I am amazed by how long the battery is lasting now and I am convinced that ATK played the biggest role in getting me to this point. Also disabling GPS and Bluetooth when not in use helps. I also use WiFi whenever possible. Coming from a Palm Pre, the Evo with ATK installed is lasting a lot longer on a full charge and I couldn't be happier.

Definitely TRY IT before you knock it, you just might be pleasantly surprised by the results.
    06-11-2010 01:06 AM
256 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD