LOVE the phone... can't take the battery.

cheebahawk1

May 28, 2010
Visit site
So I took the phone off the charger this morning and went immediately to battery status. Soon as it came off the charger, the display appeared as 16% of battery use while the rest was taken up by Android system.

At lunch I'm going to try to stop by a Sprint store and talk to the reps and also check the demo unit.

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Wow my thread got merged... lol no wonder it was so hard to find.. and its my thread.

Anyway.. day three. No ATK today. and after speaking to developers of a few task killers... i wont be installing any.

Up time 2:09:22 (7:39 AM)

and i'm at 85%... mind blowing to me.

Cell Standby 27%
Phone Idle 24%
Android System 23%
Voice Calls 15%
Display 6%
Dialer 5%

Im in the same location as yesterday.... when i got great battery life with ATK.. The same location as two days when i got 4 hours max.

yanks4life

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Ok nobody seems to answer me on this question, are any of you guys that are having the battery problems seeing a weird drop when directly take it off the charger? Like immediately after I take it off the charger from being 100% overnight it will go down to almost 90% within like 15-30 mins of barely doing anything. Then it will slow down the decrease after that but why does the first 10 or so % go down so fast. I have wifi on at home but everything else off and no task killer. Is this normal??

cheebahawk1

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Ok nobody seems to answer me on this question, are any of you guys that are having the battery problems seeing a weird drop when directly take it off the charger? Like immediately after I take it off the charger from being 100% overnight it will go down to almost 90% within like 15-30 mins of barely doing anything. Then it will slow down the decrease after that but why does the first 10 or so % go down so fast. I have wifi on at home but everything else off and no task killer. Is this normal??

I spoke on this issue yesterday. I have the same issue as well. I usually lose about 10_20% within 10min off the charger. Last night I had the battery drop to 62% within one hr.

I plan on stopping by Sprint store n have them check it out. I'm hoping at minimum to have the battery swapped out.

Also if u look at battery usage, wut is ur Evo reporting for display? I have a theory but need more ppl wit battery issues to report on it.

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
cheebahawk1... while you working on your theory.. take this in to factor: I'm running more apps today that im not currently using... Sprint navigation .. qik.. you know all the usually crap... and im getting way better battery power. I did do one thing.....

I'm only running google talk.. and no other chat programs. I'd love to compare notes with you... (settings breakdown if you want) Currently at 83% after 2.5 hours... This i could live with.

EMAC#AC

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
My phone has been unplugged less than an hour and I'm down to 89%, with wifi, BT, GPS, etc., all being off.

I'm coming to this device from the Nexus One on AT&T. At no time during my ownership of that device did Cell Standby and Phone Idle dominate my battery usage statistics the way the Evo does so; 99% of the time battery usage went to the display on that device. (granted the two use different display techologies)

I've used the Setting Profiles App on both devices, and one thing I noticed about the Evo when trying to define locations for work, home, etc., is that the Evo can't seem to make up it's mind which cell tower to use. It jumps from one tower, to another, to another, and then back to the original. All of this when I'm 300 yards away from a Sprint tower, so why can't it make up its mind (roaming is turned off)? If I remember correctly my N1 would pick a tower and stick with it.

cheebahawk1

May 28, 2010
Visit site
So just got back from the sprint store & the rep basically blew me off.

He goes into Atk n says look at all the processes u r running (mostly default apps gmail, clock, etc) and tells me that I need to kill everything.

I may try a diff store cuz the guy treated me like a child n wouldn't even listen. Kind of frustrating he goes Android will not kill things on its own etc.

Of course after I leave the store, my battery is sitting at 50% after 2hrs

Last edited:

stolirocks

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Guess I'm doing pretty good, been off the charger for 3 hours and using my phone light to moderrate and I'm at 94%. not bad. I'm not sure if it makes a diff either but I always shut my phone off at night when I charge so there is a fresh bootup in the am when I leaver for work. I use timeriffic also and to manage brightness and such.

stolirocks

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
hmmmmm wonder why my cell standby is so high on battery usage? its at 44%. Maybe because I drive around alot as a field service tech? like all over metro detroit, flint, saginaw, mi, etc. when you move around different areas that are many miles apart the phone will use more battery jumping towers right?

kcpowercat

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I did 17 hours with a combo of 3g and WiFi and 15 hours using 4g and WiFi with steady useof internet, seismic, gmail, and other apps. Doing all 3g after this charge. This phone loses nothing asleep connected to WiFi for me. Went to bed last night with the battery showing yellow, wake up 7 hours later...still yellow, maybe lost 5% max.

I feel for you guys not getting these numbers. I was on that side of the fence with the pre. I was dumbfounded how others could be getting such good life. I still think my biggest change was disabling always on mobile data. I don't see any ill effects....maybe gmail doesn't push 100% of the time but even after sleeping quite awhile, it comes within 5 minutes, which works for me. No automatic task killer.

EVO1Android

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Update...
I was one of the users whos battery was originally lasting around 4 hours. I followed the tips in this thread as well as the link to 20 tips to maximize your battery. I have ATK installed set to Agressive and killing apps every 30 mins.

That being said, yesterday my battery lasted just around 12 hours!!! I couldnt be happier. During that time I messed with apps, a few phone calls, surf the web, and used sprint nav.

Thanks to all for the help.

EDIT: I am removing ATK and see if this does anything for the battery. My alarm didnt go off this morning and come to find out that ATK killed it.

Edit2: After uninstalling ATK I saw a significant amount of battery loss. I am re-installing ATK and will just set it to not kill the alarm.

Last edited:

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Well.. im satisfied.

Up Time 9:28:03
Awake Time 3:56:28

Almost 10 hours and im at 7%.

What i have realize after reading countless posts and threads, is that its hard to compare stats with people who use the phone primarily to text their girlfriends or play tetris. I keep reading "my battery lasted 16 hours with moderate usage..." and moderate is described as 30 text messages and 2 calls. LOL. As you can see.. i use my phone as a phone.. that's why its awake 50% of the time i have it powered on. (I'm coming from a blackberry). I sent about 200 emails... made several calls (2 lasting about 30 minutes), kept gtalk open the whole time (to replace BBM) took several pictures and browsed. Tested out Layer with Twitted 3D.... I sent about 10 text messages.

I'd consider myself more of a power user... so this is acceptable to me.

I did this with ATK uninstalled.... (and in spite of what the developers say... i still believe ATK would have given me better battery life... but tomorrow is another test.

As a side note.. i find the last 15% the hardest to kill. I've been at 15% for over an hour and still going.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
It has been said before but I will say it again. It may take several full battery cycles of a full charge/discharge for it to obtain full strength. Some improvements may just be the battery gaining its full potential and nothing you are turning off.

I know the jury is still out on this issue and I am unsure how it really affects it but I wanted to put it out there just in case! i:Di

Last edited:

kcpowercat

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Well.. im satisfied.

Up Time 9:28:03
Awake Time 3:56:28

Almost 10 hours and im at 7%.

What i have realize after reading countless posts and threads, is that its hard to compare stats with people who use the phone primarily to text their girlfriends or play tetris. I keep reading "my battery lasted 16 hours with moderate usage..." and moderate is described as 30 text messages and 2 calls. LOL. As you can see.. i use my phone as a phone.. that's why its awake 50% of the time i have it powered on. (I'm coming from a blackberry). I sent about 200 emails... made several calls (2 lasting about 30 minutes), kept gtalk open the whole time (to replace BBM) took several pictures and browsed. Tested out Layer with Twitted 3D.... I sent about 10 text messages.

I'd consider myself more of a power user... so this is acceptable to me.

I did this with ATK uninstalled.... (and in spite of what the developers say... i still believe ATK would have given me better battery life... but tomorrow is another test.

As a side note.. i find the last 15% the hardest to kill. I've been at 15% for over an hour and still going.

that's not bad...interesting you would even switch away from blackberry given your use fits perfectly to a blackberry and less to the evo...I'm satisfied with the battery given my usage although it's much more texts, apps, internet, personal gmail (in that order). I can't imagine this phone is the right fit for almost strictly an emailer.

buggyman

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Super happy with my battery now after doing a couple tips in here. Like turning google talk off. I am at 14 1/2 hours since off the charger and battery is at 37%. I am getting as good or better battery life on the Evo then I did on my Hero.

I have tried to use my phone with both ATK and with out it. I uninstalled it for a week to try and see if the battery was better. I find better success with one. But I guess to each is own.

I think most of the battery problems in here is user error and there is a learning curve with the OS. Jmo.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Super happy with my battery now after doing a couple tips in here. Like turning google talk off. I am at 14 1/2 hours since off the charger and battery is at 37%. I am getting as good or better battery life on the Evo then I did on my Hero.

I have tried to use my phone with both ATK and with out it. I uninstalled it for a week to try and see if the battery was better. I find better success with one. But I guess to each is own.

I think most of the battery problems in here is user error and there is a learning curve with the OS. Jmo.

Seemed like logging out of Talk really helped me. I have been running 10+ hours and am at 48%. I admit I was not using it that much overall but I did tether through wi-fi for over an hour and that alone usually drained it like crazy in the past so there is an improvement anyway.

I also think cycling through a complete discharge/charge is helping.

Last edited:

markdek

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I have implemented most if not all of the power saving tips I could find, excluding an active app killer. There is a built-in app to check for running apps, I used that, I don't see any rouge apps that I don't want running. Besides, Android takes care a lot of that if you make the proper selections for settings in each app.

I've had my unit for 5 days, so it's seen plenty charge cycles. I'm getting:

Up Time = ~11 hrs
Awake Time = ~5 hrs

This is w/ normal "geeky", "smartphone" use. Not the heaviest use I could have done. But also not letting it sit on standby, and just taking calls.

So, I can't get past ~11 hrs w/ regular use of the phone. Based on overnight runs, if I did just use it as a phone, w/ email, but not gps, wifi, internet, etc., and if I ran it to 0%, I might get 13 - 16 hours. But then, it wouldn't really be a smart phone then, would it? It would be a dumb phone.

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
that's not bad...interesting you would even switch away from blackberry given your use fits perfectly to a blackberry and less to the evo...I'm satisfied with the battery given my usage although it's much more texts, apps, internet, personal gmail (in that order). I can't imagine this phone is the right fit for almost strictly an emailer.

I understand. I was just tired of the Blackberry OS... needed a change. I used the blackberry since 2001 and was excited to try a different OS.