06-15-2010 09:55 AM
38 12
tools
    For a flashlight app I like LED Desire LED Desire Light - Android app on AppBrain the best...

Adjustable brightness and Morse Code...
    06-08-2010 07:01 PM
    nobody should be exchanging their evo yet because of short battery because the nexus and incredible both took at least a full week, 7 days, for the battery to not die in a few hours. once the battery levels out, then you get a true idea of if its good or bad.

my new nexus it would die after only a few hours. now i can easily go 12 hours or more. it took a week or so.
    If this is true (and I don't doubt you since my battery life has steadily improved over time) why the f@#$ wouldn't HTC condition these batteries or have their battery supplier condition these batteries prior to putting them out for production??

In my SNL voice "Really HTC, REally? REALLY??"
    06-08-2010 07:28 PM
    I have to agree about the battery not being as bad as initial reviews. I just posted this in another thread. My EVO has been off charge about 10 1/2 hours now and it is at 50%. This is with one of the busiest days at work since I got the phone. Several calls both incoming and outgoing and then about an hour playing music while at the gym. Also there was some internet usage throughout the day. I am actually impressed with the battery, especially coming from the Pre. It would have never lasted this long
    06-08-2010 07:40 PM
    Here's my $0.02

Day 1 and 2: I had Advanced Task Killer running because I thought killing apps would save me battery - WRONG.

Day 3 and 4 (yesterday and today): Went 100% stock and both days got better than 15hrs.

HERE'S HOW::::

Homescreen-->Menu-->Settings-->Accounts and Sync-->

1. Facebook: Turned OFF Live Feed Sync. Left ON contacts (this is where the new pics come from for your contacts)...Change frequency to once per day

2. Flickr - turned off sync

3. Google - don't touch it

4. News - Off

5. Stocks - Off

6. Weather - sync every 3 hrs

Facebook is the power *****!!! Turn off those live feed updates and you'll get a ton more life.

This by no means affects the way any of these apps work when you just open them. For example, I still read the news each day. Open News-->Menu-->Sync. 3 seconds later, it's updated. It allows me to make apps only use data when I say so.

Other settings:

GPS off unless I'm using is, AND OUTSIDE. If you're in an office all day, the apps preference the GPS if it is on...but in a building the GPS can't find you, so it tries and tries and tries, eating your battery while you sit at your desk. GPS needs sky-line-of-sight.

4G and WiFi off unless I'm using them. Takes 5 seconds to re-enable them.

Screen brightness at 25%.

I'm a moderate to heavy user and I still squeeze more than enough power out of my Evo in a day. I assure you that Facebook is the sucker. You don't need to kill the other apps running (remember I'm all stock on these results). After reading that extensive article about how Android handles apps in the background I decided to trust them (Google/HTC/Sprint). My theory is with a Killer, you burn way more battery because the stock apps continually reboot themselves after they get killed. The rebooting is likely more power-using than sitting idle.

For all the haters and skeptics....here's a screenshot from yesterday. Daily activities included: 5 phone calls totaling just over an hour of talk time, lots of texts, I only emailed from my phone rather than on my PC for the whole day...probably 12 emails, Google maps with streetview (data hungry), Google Earth (data hungry), Facebook (via the android app...I'm not a huge Friendstream fan), Downloaded 4 new apps from the Market, barcode scanned 5 things, took 4 pics, ran 4G and played 4 HC youtube vids, listened to music (MP3) for about 1 hr with headphones...and a few other very minor things. Besides the YouTube HC I used 3G the entire time. I know 4G is energy-hungry so I save it for when I really need it.

Change your settings and see how you do.
    Great info!! Thanks!
    06-08-2010 07:43 PM
    I'm definitely convinced there is something wrong wit my ego or battery.

Just took it off the charger, n within 10minutes the battery dropped 20%.

I have followed all suggestions for conserving battery & nothing helps.

I think I need to get the battery or device swapped.

This is really frustrating.
    06-08-2010 08:17 PM
    Great info!! Thanks!
    Thanks as well. However, when you mentioned leaving the Facebook sync to contacts, does that update their status/email/bday info as well, or just their pics? I kind of like that feature. I can live w/o FriendStream though if that's the main drain cause.
    06-08-2010 08:39 PM
    I just went 12 hours on a single charge!!

I took the phone out of the charger at 8:30AM, went to my job, at 11:25AM I turned on my blue-tooth headset and I was playing music until 5:30PM non-stop. I also had like 2 hours of talk time, browsed the web for 1 hour (3G), sent some text messages and checked FB and Engadget intermittently. When my EVO requested a charge it was 9:00PM. This is unbelievable battery power (that never happened with my 3GS, around 3:00PM I had to recharge it under the same conditions). Im awestruck with the battery!
    06-08-2010 09:09 PM
    I just went 12 hours on a single charge!!

I took the phone out of the charger at 8:30AM, went to my job, at 11:25AM I turned on my blue-tooth headset and I was playing music until 5:30PM non-stop. I also had like 2 hours of talk time, browsed the web for 1 hour (3G), sent some text messages and checked FB and Engadget intermittently. When my EVO requested a charge it was 9:00PM. This is unbelievable battery power (that never happened with my 3GS, around 3:00PM I had to recharge it under the same conditions). Im awestruck with the battery!
    That's awesome. Unfortunately, mine is only lasting about 4-5 hours before begging for a charge. I've got 4G coverage that varies from 0-3 bars, BT and Wi-Fi off and only syncing G-mail, weather, and Twitter. Twitter and weather are synced hourly. The battery should certainly last longer than this. I'm beginning to think HTC has an issue with the supplier of these batteries. The Droid Incredible suffered from the same issue. I returned mine because of it. I'm considering the same with the EVO.
    06-08-2010 09:19 PM
    On my average day, I find that these tweeked features will extend it to suit my purposes overall. My first 2 days and trying to extend the life were not what I'd hoped, but I've done more since then.

Note: I keep a single homescreen full of widgets or shortcuts for all the little things that can affect my use so I can QUICKLY adjust whatever is needed including turning off the 3G access when I don't need to worry about data access (Mobile is the widget name). This helped. I teach so I'll only access data when I want to use it to reference something or choose to check mail. It turns off and on very quickly as do Wi-fi and other things.

I've found that Advanced Task Manager Free is better to me that Advanced Task Killer. The premise is the same, but it seems to show more apps as open than Task Killer as well as allowing me to manager services (carefully) and quickly uninstall anything - all from one place. It doesn't appear to take a lot of battery power based on other tools I've looked through, but any feedback on this app would be appreciated. Interestingly, I just noticed that is it half the file size also.

I keep the following apps and shortcuts on one homescreen and find them to be very easy to quickly access and use as needed:
    Android Widgets for Off/On: 4G, Bluetooth, GPS, Wif-Fi, Mobile (3G data), Hotspot.
    Marketplace Widgets: BatteryTime Lite
    Shortcuts: Bluetooth (for pairing), Running Services via Settings, Manage Applications, Advanced Task Mgr Free (which also stays in the task bar at top), Android System, Accounts & Sync, Sound & Display (for personal adjusting of Brightness although I wish there was a direct shortcut for that).

As for the shortcuts, most if not all come with the 2.1 on the Evo. I can't recall right now if Manage Applications is a marketplace app or stock.

I'm considering paying a small fee for one of the task killers that truly manages them and keeps them from opening in the background as I read of one today on AndCtrl. Going to keep learning about it more before that, however.

Note: this is my first touchscreen UI phone of any sort. I come from a SonyEricsson w580i mp3 player with old school 10 key texting.. I'm loving this. I never liked the blackberry buttons or even the slider buttons, but I'm finding typing on here to be really easy and responsive. Just took about a day to get a feel for how it works.

Off to post a question about plugging the charger in when not fully discharged and the effect on battery life in the long run...
    06-08-2010 10:34 PM
    I'm definitely convinced there is something wrong wit my ego or battery.

Just took it off the charger, n within 10minutes the battery dropped 20%.

I have followed all suggestions for conserving battery & nothing helps.

I think I need to get the battery or device swapped.

This is really frustrating.
    I would try the trick a bunch of people did with their Incredible. After it is fully charged, unplug, turn off, and charge again. Some were having issues of the phone thinking the battery was full when it was not. Hence the instant battery drain.
    06-08-2010 10:40 PM
    I took mine off of the charger at 7:15 this morning. I just got the plug into charger message at 10:23 this evening. I had some pretty moderate usage today. I would say at least 6-7 hours of up time being used for various activities. I'm very pleased.
    06-08-2010 10:50 PM
    If this is true (and I don't doubt you since my battery life has steadily improved over time) why the f@#$ wouldn't HTC condition these batteries or have their battery supplier condition these batteries prior to putting them out for production??

In my SNL voice "Really HTC, REally? REALLY??"
    No manufacturer pre-conditions their batteries. It would take substantial time (charging and drain) and money (time = money, implementation of such a process, electricity). Even Apple, who typically provides the best end experience out there, doesn't do it.

Either way, after a couple charge and drain cycles, my battery life is pretty fantastic, especially coming from the Palm Pre.
    06-09-2010 04:11 AM
    My battery was bad (all my devices I have ever used had bad battery life) but I did a lot of the tips and it is very good now as long as my Display (settings-about phone-battery-battery use) is under 10%. *THAT IS KEY!!

As I said for me this is GREAT as I have a history of bad battery life with all my devices.

If this is above 10% then your battery is draining too fast.
    Mine is now under 10% and I run Live wallpapers and have GPS and BT on!

You sometimes have to play with it, plug it back in and out, etc.. But you can get it to stay under 10%. Once it is it seems stable even when the radios are running.

*Well it seems to be for me at least. ii
    06-15-2010 09:55 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD