07-23-2010 09:36 AM
29 12
tools
    This problem is kinda hard to search for, but hopefully other people have seen it and found a solution.

I got the EVO on launch day, but this issue only came up in the last 2 days. Basically, if I press the "home" button, sometimes an Android screen will come up saying "Complete action using" then it gives me an option to choose HTC Sense or Launcher.
    Even though there's a checkmark selection for "Use by default for this action", this screen will still come up in the future.

Selecting HTC Sense brings me to the Sense UI home page, but it's a pain to have to make the selection all the time.

Has anyone seen this? I'll try to take a screencap and post it later.
    06-08-2010 11:33 AM
    Just check launch by default and select sense.
    06-08-2010 11:39 AM
    I'm getting this a lot...to avoid getting it all the time you have to mark the Yes radio button for two GPS location-detecting/reporting settings (forget which two). But even with those set I'm still getting the prompt every so often...
    06-08-2010 11:40 AM
    Just check launch by default and select sense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its because you unchecked set as default
    06-08-2010 11:42 AM
    No, it keeps displaying even after we mark the Set As Default checkbox.
    06-08-2010 11:49 AM
    Even though there's a checkmark selection for "Use by default for this action", this screen will still come up in the future.
    Reading comprehension 101.

Thanks Mustachio!
    06-08-2010 12:27 PM
    Am I doing something worng? I turn off HTC Sense on my Evo and drop from 7 home screens to 4. Does the stock Android only have 4 home screens? How does Sense give 3 more screens?
    06-08-2010 12:37 PM
    Mustachio, I can't find those options you mention.

Isn't anyone having this issue?
    06-08-2010 08:33 PM
    Menu button > Settings > Location > Use GPS satellites
    Menu button > Settings > Location > Location Setting

I set both to Yes. Careful tho: pressing the Use GPS Satellite option, in addition to displaying the Yes/No radio buttons, also actually toggles the radio buttons. So if the Use GPS Satellite option is currently checked, pressing it will display the radio buttons with the No button marked. In that situation I press Yes and then press the <-- button. It's quite annoying behavior and inconsistent with other similar screens.
    06-08-2010 08:53 PM
    Thanks, but what does that setting have anything to do with the Home screen?
    06-08-2010 09:07 PM
    Hmmm...for some reason I thought they did. I'll have to look into that. But at any rate, the launcher prompt that we're both seeing says we can clear the default by making a change at the following location: home settings > applications > manage applications. However, I didn't see anything there that was relevant. Maybe I missed something?
    06-08-2010 09:35 PM
    Heck, I couldn't even find a "home settings". How did you manage to find that?
    06-09-2010 09:44 AM
    My EVO has not started doing this yet (knocks on wood), but my HERO did and it drove me nuts. I couldn't find a solution to save my life. My eventual solution was to switch to the EVO. =)

I just wanted to mention that this is NOT EVO specific in case that helps find a solution.

K--
    06-09-2010 11:44 AM
    Thanks Kai.

Carioca, I understand that you can't find it. "home settings" doesn't exist...I chalk that message up to a documentation/QA departmental goof. What it really should say is this:

Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications
    06-09-2010 08:22 PM
    Am I doing something worng? I turn off HTC Sense on my Evo and drop from 7 home screens to 4. Does the stock Android only have 4 home screens? How does Sense give 3 more screens?
    Yeah it's 5, according to the AndroidCentral vid I saw (the one about disabling SenseUI)
    06-10-2010 03:03 AM
    Thanks Mustachio, I found that setting but doesn't make any difference. I've emailed HTC support but I don't hold a lot of hope.
    I may just get a replacement but with the EVO shortages, I'm not so sure...

I found an old thread on xda dev that suggested an app called "Home Switcher", but even that is incapable of saving the Sense UI as the default home screen.
    06-10-2010 10:01 PM
    Thanks Mustachio, I found that setting but doesn't make any difference. I've emailed HTC support but I don't hold a lot of hope.

I found an old thread on xda dev that suggested an app called "Home Switcher", but even that is incapable of saving the Sense UI as the default home screen.
    I have two EVO phones doing the same thing... One of them only has like 3 extra apps installed so I don't think I can blame a buggy app.
    06-12-2010 10:12 AM

I have two EVO phones doing the same thing... One of them only has like 3 extra apps installed so I don't think I can blame a buggy app.
    06-12-2010 10:27 AM
    Yep - same exact problem. I picked up the Evo on 6/4 (first in line), and this issue started appearing around 6/9 or so. And yes, I checked the 'Use default for this action' box, but it continues to come up.
    06-15-2010 07:37 AM
    I think by 'home settings', they mean, go to your home screen and hit menu, then settings. Poor documentation for sure.
    06-15-2010 07:41 AM
    Nothing a hard reset won't fix.
    06-15-2010 07:50 AM
    So, I'm having the same problem. And, have noticed I can make my phone "forget" its default home by pressing and holding the home key until the task switcher pops up. Not sure yet though if that is the one and only culprit .
    06-16-2010 06:57 AM
    A Sprint tech support guy had me go through some updates and even made a slight tweak in the hidden settings screen (forget what the name is) and now my EVO never forgets the default home launcher. nice.
    07-05-2010 10:55 PM
    I was having this problem after installing Lock-Bot, i dont know if any of you guys installed this, but anyway it got fixed after unistalling Lock-Bot.
    07-06-2010 02:39 AM
    Unfortunately, my issue is still there, AND it was BEFORE I installed LockBot (which I use and enjoy). I would hate to have to uninstall that app just to fix this (especially since it existed BEFORE the app was there), but I might give it a try to see if it at least is a way of solving the problem (just not an ideal one).

I would definitely like to fix this annoying little pop up.

K--
    07-06-2010 10:53 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD