Orientation issues?!?!

dougE2483

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, this is my first time posting but have been keeping up for a while. I was just wondering if anyone else is having an issue with the EVO changing orientation on you when you rotate the phone?

Me and one of my co-works both have the phone and mine is having no problems at all, and the other one isn't switching the orientation during messages or phone pages or anything, and the only difference between the two phones is the other one has a screen protector on the phone, so i am guessing that a screen protector might be causing some sort of issue with the orientation flipping, is this possible you think?

And yes both phones have the orientation option in "sound & display" checked.

dougE2483

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Also sorry ahead of time for the ?!?! use to it when sending text messages, tried to edit it but don't know if i can edit the title.

alan7467

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Try going to settings > Sound & Display > G-Sensor calibration (all the way at the bottom), and doing a calibration.

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Are you both turning it 90 degrees counter-clockwise? It seems that Android only supports orientation changes of 90 degrees counter-clockwise, at least for now (changing in 2.2). I am new to Android so this was a bit surprising to me.

dougE2483

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah i tried the G-Sensor calibration on the phone and i have also tried turning both phones all ways. I was told that it works every now and then but when i was messing with it, it did not turn at all for me, while mine turns just fine.

dougE2483

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Also another question, with the G-Sensor calibration, you know how it tells you lay your phone flat to calibrate it but if you lay the phone flat the camera keeps it on a slight angle, you notice that?

alan7467

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah i tried the G-Sensor calibration on the phone and i have also tried turning both phones all ways. I was told that it works every now and then but when i was messing with it, it did not turn at all for me, while mine turns just fine.

That's no good. Other than trying a hard reset I'm not sure what else you can do. If a hard reset won't fix it I'd have your friend get it exchanged.

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
thats funny cause the evo i played with at the sprint store would not rotate the screen no matter what i did. i was using the web browser, and i thought i was just crazy, but couldnt get it to rotate no matter what settings i tried. maybe there is a bad batch? this was in socal.

Evil_Evo

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
g/f fone is having the same issue--the orientation has suddently stopped working since yesterday. I have checked & unchecked the orientation multiple times but there is no luck so far. Resitting the battery offered no help so I might have to try a cold RESET. I hope Google or Sprint is reading this. Mine is working just fine.

UPDATE: Brought the fone back to Sprint store and they did a hard reset. That fixed the orientation problem. Hard reset will wipe out everything on the fone including the contact list. They restored the contact list back afterward.

Last edited:

texasrealtor

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Great tip about laying the phone flat. I was trying to calibrate the phone with the phone on it's side and it was screwing things up. Once I lay the phone flat on it's back on a table it calibrated the phone perfectly. Thanks for the help guys.

OptiPrime

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
The one at sprint store probably had the orientation option set to off which is dumb because its a feature people want to experience. Also the g-sensor calibration is a great tip if mine ever gets laggy or less sensitive to orientation changes.

gut

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
My orientation automatically switched when the phone rotated just like I expected initially. Now it will not change orientation. The orientation switch is on and I rechecked the calibration. There was an initial update to download, which I did not do immediately, but I didn't notice if the orientation stopped after that download. I am not excited about having to do a hard reset. Any other solutions?

stlfrosti

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Great tip about laying the phone flat. I was trying to calibrate the phone with the phone on it's side and it was screwing things up. Once I lay the phone flat on it's back on a table it calibrated the phone perfectly. Thanks for the help guys.

AHHH, was gona start a new thread about this problem but then read this....
My phone totally STOPPED auto-flipping but then I tried this laying FLAT ON BACK with the camera lens hanging off the edge of the table, calibrated and it works FACTORY FINE again.... THNX