EVO without Everything Data - yes, it's possible

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
In Spite of what Sprint's web site says, it appears that you can get an EVO without an Everything Data plan.

One caveat, I have a business account, with an Everything Messaging Share Plan and a $15 data pack on one line. What I'm about to report may only be true for business accounts. Or maybe the announcement of the iPhone 4G has loosened up Sprint's purse strings. My business account has only 4 lines, so it's not like I'm a company like IBM with enough clout to get whatever I want.

Anyway, I called the Sprint business customer service line. Explained what I had today, said I'm the only person on the plan who uses data, then said I was interested in an EVO 4G, but had been told I needed to upgrade to a plan that would put data on all 4 lines which would cost me an additional $45 per month.

The rep said "That's absolutely not true. I can substitute the EVO for what you have now, you'll just have to pay the additional $10 premium data fee for the Evo."

I now have the EVO on order, and a confirmation number. What I'm giving up is free mobile to mobile, which isn't a big deal, as I never go over my minutes anyway; Sprint Navigation, but I can still use the HTC/Android Nav and I have a GPS unit for car use; Sprint TV, which I don't care about at all, and Sprint Radio, but Pandora's better anyway.

Go for it, people. Report back on what your experience is.

joosen

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I hope this holds true. I'm on one of those old family plans (Fair and Flexible). Three lines, two dumbphones, and one blackberry with BIS(Unlim text and Data). You think CS representatives would give me that $15 data pack, plus the $10 premium, without having to change plans?

mansouan

May 18, 2010
Visit site
@meyerweb: Congratulations - I hope this plays out for you as you expect.

I have a Fair and Flexible 2000 minute plan (with everything else free including N&W at 6PM except as you noted, any m2m, SprintTV, Sprint Radio, and Navigation) and would rather not have to change the entire plan just to accommodate the Evo. I hate my Touch Pro, but I can hold out until June 24th, the iPhone launch date, and then see if Sprint is a little more willing to play ball.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
we'll see if it gets activated and after the first month.

Yeah, it possible she was misinformed. In which case I'm no worse off. I'll find out soon, I guess, since my phone is shipping today.

I hope this holds true. I'm on one of those old family plans (Fair and Flexible). Three lines, two dumbphones, and one blackberry with BIS(Unlim text and Data). You think CS representatives would give me that $15 data pack, plus the $10 premium, without having to change plans?

I had a fair & flexible, which I upgraded last year to the Everything messaging (mainly because both my kids turned into major thumb monkeys) with a $15 data pack on one line. It ended up being just about the same cost as my F&F plan with text add-ons on two lines.

My guess is they won't let you keep the F&F plan, but who knows. You could always upgrade to the Everything messaging, or Everything phone plan, and then try to add the EVO to that.

I'll post here when I find out if my deal really comes through.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
UPDATE - No Joy

The Sprint business e-care rep who told me I wouldn't have to change my plan is being sent to a re-education camp somewhere in Afghanistan. :(

Before I activated the phone, I called back and got a different rep. I told him about my conversation with the first rep, and he was most apologetic, but confirmed that I would need an Everything Data plan, on all lines, period.

However, he did volunteer to get a supervisor to see if there was anything else they could do for me. In the end, I got a 10% discount on top of my existing 15% corporate discount. Better than nothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy