watched my first full length movie ever on a phone...

reynoldsrobbie

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Having problems. I followed the link on how to use handbrake and put movies on my EVO. I followed every direction and when I try to watch it, it tells me I cant watch it on this devise? I also dont get the screen shot of the transferring files on my phone either.

Any ideas?

fgkay

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I wasted 4 hrs trying to use handbrake to rip a dvd for the EVO. Followed the instructions to a T in the link above, and double/triple checked the settings when it didn't work. Movies are totally pixelated, freeze-up, andthe sound is waaay out of sync when I play them on my EVO. I'd troubleshoot, but there are just too many settings in handbrake and it takes too much time for what its worth to record 1 dvd.

dwhitman

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
I had a lot of start up trouble using Handbrake, that turned out to be related to settings on the Advanced tab that few (if any?) of the various how-to guides seem to talk about.

The problem is that there isn't one "h.264" standard, there are levels of compliance or versions. This stuff gets handled either by choosing an appropriate EXISTING preset that sets up the Advanced panel for you, or by setting the advanced panel manually yourself.

I finally managed to get viewable and listenable files by starting with the "Legacy iPhone" preset, and tweaking the picture/video/audio tabs to be appropriate for an Evo. Doing this set some variables on the advanced tab that I don't pretend to understand, but turned out to be the key to actually getting things to work for me.

FWIW, here are the settings I'm using. I don't claim these are the best, just that they work:

Picture:
anamorphic: none
keep aspect ratio
width (adjust down to 800x480 if necessary)
iPod 5G support unchecked

Video filters: all off

Video:
Codec: h.264
Frame rate: same as source
Quality: Avg Bitrate = 960

Audio:
Audio Codec: AAC (faac)
Mixdown: Stereo
Sample Rate: 48
Bit Rate: 128
DRC: 0

Advanced:
Reference Frames: 1
B-Frames: 0
Motion Estimation Method: Uneven multihexagon
Subpixel Motion Estimation: 6
Motion Estimation Range: Default (16)
Analysis: All
8x8 DCT: unchecked
CABAC Entropy Encoding: unchecked
Psychovisual Rate Distortion: 0
No Fast-P-Skip: checked
No DCT-Decimate: not checked
Deblocking: Default 0, Default (0)

solo1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I wasted 4 hrs trying to use handbrake to rip a dvd for the EVO. Followed the instructions to a T in the link above, and double/triple checked the settings when it didn't work. Movies are totally pixelated, freeze-up, andthe sound is waaay out of sync when I play them on my EVO. I'd troubleshoot, but there are just too many settings in handbrake and it takes too much time for what its worth to record 1 dvd.

Hand Brake is NOT a DVD Ripper or copier .... Its only a converter ... You have to get a seperate DVD ripping software .... Then take that coppied DVD from your hard drive into Hand Brake and convert it down to EVO viewing Specs onto your hardrive (you will have the original AND the converted copy .... Then tranfer the converted copy onto your EVO.

tacoburrito77

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I use magicdvd ripper. It was cheap and it will rip to many formats including MP4. I ripped Alice In Wonderland and it was 600 megs or so. 640x480.....

EVO Navian

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I've watched several so far too! :)

I'm a korean drama junkie and used to watch them on my Zune HD. I tried the doubletwist app, but the playback quality was horrible on the player. It plays a lot better and gives a nice filled wide screen with the media app the evo came with. The doubletwist for desktop did a nice conversion of my avi's, but why is the app player with doubletwist so crummy??? I uninstalled it after seeing how pixelated it was, good thing I didn't remove the movie files, it looked great with the stock player.

snap20100609155128.png

Evo video player.

Mustachio

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
you can stream full movies too. send this link to your EVO. click then tap play on the flash video box and tap again and select "play in full screen". not bad!

He doesn't tell you that you have to jump through a million hoops first, including a "survey", etc.

Don't bother.

fgkay

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hand Brake is NOT a DVD Ripper or copier .... Its only a converter ... You have to get a seperate DVD ripping software .... Then take that coppied DVD from your hard drive into Hand Brake and convert it down to EVO viewing Specs onto your hardrive (you will have the original AND the converted copy .... Then tranfer the converted copy onto your EVO.

You sure about this? The instruction link posted earlier makes absolutely no mention of needing any other software. In fact, in the article, they are using a DVD and Handbrake does the rest.

Braaainz

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
DVD rips I used off of "MactheRipper" work perfectly.

Movies downloaded via Veoh work perfectly.

Movie I downloaded off of googlevideo doesn't.

eoford

May 17, 2010
Visit site
OK I've tried every technique listed in the forums and Nothing plays on my EVO. Any clue as to what could be wrong with it?

maxiang

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
You sure about this? The instruction link posted earlier makes absolutely no mention of needing any other software. In fact, in the article, they are using a DVD and Handbrake does the rest.
Basically, yes. Handbrake cannot decode DVD's.

EVO Navian

May 31, 2010
Visit site
OK I've tried every technique listed in the forums and Nothing plays on my EVO. Any clue as to what could be wrong with it?

The only time I had a real problem with being unable to view the movies on my evo was when I disconnected it right out of the pc usb. I started changing the pc connection from the evo notification to charge only after each transfer I did and finally able to see the movies on my gallery. Before that I could never see it even when it was the right format. I don't know if that's the problem for you, was for me.

rickafterburner

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
DVD Catalyst + Dropbox + Evo + Unlimited Data = Great!

I struggled with this for about an hour; I checked multiple forums and tried a bunch of settings. I found one that offered settings under advanced, which allowed me to play, but not stream a movie. I tried the iPhone settings, with the same result.

Finally, I ran across a posting mentioning DVD Catalyst Free for Evo, which I downloaded and recoded one of the existing mp4 files. The new file played on my phone with no problems, but I was also able to stream it via Dropbox, which is really cool!

Since the full DVD Catalyst 3 is so cheap, I'm going to test to see if it also works well for me and might pick it up ($10), but if you like free, want it to just plain work, and don't mind losing the ability to make changes to your settings, DVD Catalyst Free for Evo appears to be the answer.

I have no affiliation with either Dropbox or DVD Catalyst, just an avid (rabid) Evo user taking full advantage of Sprint's network.

Rick

P.S. I used the incredible settings in DVD Catalyst 3 and wasn't able to stream the movie. I hear the team at DVD Catalyst are pretty responsive, so I'll ask them. I did a second movie in DVD Catalyst Free Evo and it worked. The streaming is great, you can even skip forwards and backwards in the movie, which is often not possible with streaming.

Having problems. I followed the link on how to use handbrake and put movies on my EVO. I followed every direction and when I try to watch it, it tells me I cant watch it on this devise? I also dont get the screen shot of the transferring files on my phone either.

Any ideas?

mozartkc

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I can now say I enjoyed watching movies on my EVO! I'm staying at a friends for a month and this has been a lifesaver! Of course I left the phone plugged into the charger but still, I made it through the movies with no lag. I used Mspot. Alice In Wonderland and Shutter Island :) I love this phone more everyday! Aloha!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01