For those with button backlight bleed

kellte2

May 15, 2010
Visit site
my phone has this issue... hopefully it won't get worse. if it does, i'll use my sprint TEP

Bingo. I've gotten wrapped up with stuff like this in the past and it just is a waste of time and energy. Taking on stress due to a tiny production flaw just seems silly. I'm really trying to ignore it this time which is another reason I got TEP for the first time. No deductible for manufacturing defects either!

skullsdontfade

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Bingo. I've gotten wrapped up with stuff like this in the past and it just is a waste of time and energy. Taking on stress due to a tiny production flaw just seems silly. I'm really trying to ignore it this time which is another reason I got TEP for the first time. No deductible for manufacturing defects either!

i didn't know that there was no deductible for man. defects. that's good news. it makes sense, but i figured they'd get you for your bucks one way or the other.

i believe it could become a big issue. until then, i'll just keep an eye on it.

bpmurr

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
So what was the end result of your discussion? I can attest to the fact that this issue deals entirely with adhesive as my phone didn't have any backlight bleed as of the first day, but after a few days of solid use in a hot climate, I can now see the seam.

Again, burned as an early adopter...

The department that can authorize an exchange wasn't open at the time I made the call. The gentlmen I talked to logged the issue and asked people to call if they have the same problem. They won't act unless the issue is brought up by more then just one person.

While it's not the end of the world. It's an issue that should get addressed. If the adhesive is already failing it's only a matter of time for it to get worse. The people will start complaining about dust and moisture getting in. A few minutes to make a call to HTC goes a long way.

Last edited:

kellte2

May 15, 2010
Visit site
The department that can authorize an exchange wasn't open at the time I made the call. The gentlmen I talked to logged the issue and asked people to call if they have the same problem. They won't act unless the issue is brought up by more then just one person.

While it's not the end of the world. It's an issue that should get addressed. If the adhesive is already failing it's only a matter of time for it to get worse. The people will start complaining about dust and moisture getting in. A few minutes to make a call to HTC goes a long way.

I'm on board with this, and I'll try to call either over lunch or this evening after work. Like you said, if we're talking about adhesive, HTC needs to get on it. Until then, it is pointless to swap units [at least in my opinion].

bozman42

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I called HTC tech support, I have the issue where the backlight is bleeding onto the screen and showing white streaks. Extremely noticeable on a white background (google.com). They basically told me to take it to a Sprint store and they could exchange it. He didn't really seem that concerned.

bpmurr

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I called HTC tech support, I have the issue where the backlight is bleeding onto the screen and showing white streaks. Extremely noticeable on a white background (google.com). They basically told me to take it to a Sprint store and they could exchange it. He didn't really seem that concerned.

It's a given some CS agents are going to be better then others. The only thing that matters is if they log the call and the problem. After a certain number of incidents are logged for an issue it should trigger someone in HTC to investigate further.

kellte2

May 15, 2010
Visit site
It's a given some CS agents are going to be better then others. The only thing that matters is if they log the call and the problem. After a certain number of incidents are logged for an issue it should trigger someone in HTC to investigate further.

Exactly. To be clear: the problem here is not with the screen, but the bottom seam of the device itself. Most [read: all] LCD's suffer from some backlight bleed on to the screen - it is just a flaw with the technology. The leak of light through the seam on the bottom of the device, emanating from the LEDs that light the Home, Menu, Back, and Search buttons, is the problem here.

Exchanging the phone at this point is not an effective, long-term, fix. If it is the adhesive that is the issue, this will happen to most devices out there. It was mentioned in many reviews including Engadget and Gizmodo, and many users have experienced it first-hand. Please, if you have this issue, give HTC a call before you go to Sprint to exchange. The production might need to be altered and this isn't going to happen without HTC taking notice to the issue.

David S

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I think people need to be more concerned. I didn't care too much about the light bleed as I have a case, however, I have now noticed the lower part of the screen is having more movement when you press it down since last Friday.

Now I have found one dust in the left corner between the glass and LCD yesterday which means the seam between the glass and LCD is allowing dust to get in. I fear in a few months there will be quite a few dust particles in that area.

I am going to call up HTC and Sprint to see what they can do.

D3on

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Keeping my phone. Remind me of the problems people where having with the instinct or the pre. I still have both the instinct and pre from the day that they where launch. Still working fine. People are always going to have problem with something and going to complain. If the screen comes off. Ill get a new one. Sprint has tep and bestbuy have one. That is what they are there for. Enjoy the headache with all the crying to htc or sprint. If it aint broke dont fix it.

bpmurr

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Keeping my phone. Remind me of the problems people where having with the instinct or the pre. I still have both the instinct and pre from the day that they where launch. Still working fine. People are always going to have problem with something and going to complain. If the screen comes off. Ill get a new one. Sprint has tep and bestbuy have one. That is what they are there for. Enjoy the headache with all the crying to htc or sprint. If it aint broke dont fix it.

It's this kind of attitude that lets companies shove crap down people's throats. Nobody is crying to HTC or Sprint. Nor is anyone asking you not to keep the phone. We are just taking the time as customers to provide feedback about an issue with the product. In the hopes to effect change and have them address it in future production runs. Not everyone wants to buy a protection plan to cover poor construction by the manufacturer.

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
It's this kind of attitude that lets companies shove crap down people's throats. Nobody is crying to HTC or Sprint. Nor is anyone asking you not to keep the phone. We are just taking the time as customers to provide feedback about an issue with the product. In the hopes to effect change and have them address it in future production runs. Not everyone wants to buy a protection plan to cover poor construction by the manufacturer.

Well said, people need to stop saying its just a phone. We need to get back to making a quality product and get away from this half was made veal that people just replace in six months anyways.

bpmurr

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Well said, people need to stop saying its just a phone. We need to get back to making a quality product and get away from this half was made veal that people just replace in six months anyways.

Amen, because not everyone can afford to go through phones like toilet paper. I had my first gen iPhone for over 2 years. It was solid and finally started to fail. I sure as hell can't afford to buy another Evo at full price if the quality of the construction starts to go to crap.

nahpungnome

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi, everyone
New to the forums, but I'm experiencing the same leakage. If i press down on the area it goes away for about a minute then comes back. I don't really care about the light, but my concern is dust. If light can get out, stuff can get in.

Anyway, I'm on the phone on hold with HTC. I'm also going to call RadioShack, where I got my phone, to see what they say. Something like this shouldn't have made it past QC on a phone of this caliber.

*Edit*
After a long 20 minute hold, the rep told me he hasn't heard of anybody calling this issue in (B/s) and told me the only solutions he could provide was to either have me call Sprint to get a replacement (RadioShack in my case) or send the phone in for repair... I'm beginning to think HTC, or maybe just the rep, doesn't really care about little old me. Now if it was a big website or a corporation calling in, I think they'd pay more attention.

Then I called RadioShack, the guy I spoke with said "that's the way the phone is, read the reviews online, they all say that." Then I asked "do you think this is a manufacturing defect?" "No, it's the way the phone was made, if it was a defect, there'd be a massive recall." Uh, this isn't a car where lives could potentially be at stake. I've personally never heard of a phone getting recalled. Anyway, two unsatisfactory replies... I doubt returning the thing and exchanging is going to make a difference anyway. If anything I might have to take the screen off and apply a better adhesive if it bugs me that much. Right now the light itself doesn't bug me, but if dust got on my screen, that would bug me to no end... hopefully other people get better responses.

Last edited:

dubyasdad

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I just called sprint tech support they claim that they have yet to hear about this issue and said to take both of our evos back to radio shack...lol so I dont know just a big run around I paid $500 for one and $199 for the other and this kinda sucks. Great phone otherwise.

I tried pushing down the glass on the bottom of the EVO and it seems to have helped I dont know how long it will hold but we'll see.

nahpungnome

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
HTC's response

I Emailed HTC before I called them from my earlier post and this was their response:

"Thank you for taking the time to contact HTC America Technical Support via E-Mail to inquire about the quality of your EVO. You will need to speak to the HTC America Warranty & Repair Center for more information on having your device repaired. Their contact information is 1.888.617.1113 Monday ? Friday 8:00 A.M. ? 8:00 P.M. ET. They will be able to answer any questions you have about the warranty and repair process."

Yeah gee thanks, HTC.

I honestly only care about dust getting in and getting all over the lcd. The light leaking out I don't care about... Hopefully the dust never reaches the screen. I never had any dust issues with my G1...

kellte2

May 15, 2010
Visit site
insurance

Right now this is purely cosmetic, but shattering screens, water damage, light leak which may lead to dust all point toward insurance being a good decision.

bpmurr

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I called HTC at the exchange number a few minutes ago as a follow up to my tech support call the other night.

Tech Support: 1-866-449-8358
Exchanges: 1-888-617-1113

My case number is 10USD240004380 in case anyone has a rep that says they haven't heard of the issue. Right now HTC is not offering exchanges until the phone has been out for 30 days. At that time they will honor the 12 month warranty. Until then the only route is to do an exchange at your place of purchase.

It is still a good idea to call HTC support and log the call. Again some CS reps care more then others. Just logging the call helps us owners when HTC does trend analysis on their support calls. Which most likely will lead to some kind of root cause analysis by more technical staff.

Last edited:

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm just going to keep an eye on it, I also might get the insurance too. I'm trying to not be too picket on this one the light bleed doesn't bother me but if one piece of dust gets in there its all over.

Last edited:

Itoao

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I think I may call. The bottom glass is not flush. I am not seeing the light leakage issue though.

Can anyone take more pics so we can compare.
Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781