EVO Static During Phone Calls

Nickgumo

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Most articles and comments (including things I've searched on this forum) I've read mention the great sound quality for the EVO. However, I notice a distinct static hissing during every phone calls. It is most prominent during silence, but does also occur while people are talking. It does tend to disappear intermittently while people are speaking, though. This occurs during at all levels of reception - no matter how many bars are present (even when full). Both parties hear the static during conversations. I've heard this static when conversing with people on AT&T and Verizon.

Does anybody else hear static during phone calls? I'm wondering if this is normal, as the static was not as bad on my previous HTC device.

Thanks in advance!

gaguy

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I hear the static as well. Seems to happen more when on a bluetooth headset. (Jawbone Icon). I don't believe it's the headset itself because I've never had this happen with the same headset on the iPhone.

doonin1

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I hear a lot of static also. It's more-or-less like a muffled sound. Like gaguy said, for me it happens mostly when I'm on my bluetooth headset (Plantronics PRO).

Nickgumo

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. So I guess it's the network. I wonder why everyone continuously states they have clear phone calls. I tried a Bluetooth headset and the static is still present, though I feel it's worse w/the phone. This is not good for Sprint.

Last edited:

beret9987

May 14, 2010
Visit site
It's the phone for me.. Been on Sprint for a year and no problems on the Pre. I do have this like slight whine in the background on a BT headset if thats what you're all referring to, slightly annoying but I just shrug it off.

creighton

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I switched to Sprint from AT&T for the Evo. I also have problems with static on my phone. I don't notice it so much when someone is talking, but if I stop talking and then there is silence a hear a loud static noise, almost like a CB radio when one person lets go of the transmit button. I notice it much more when then person on the other end is on the AT&T network, but it also there for other calls too. My wife also is using the Evo 4G and we have the same problem with hers. It's very annoying because sometimes the static lasts long enough you miss the beginning of the other persons sentence.

Otherwise the call quality is excellent.

Nickgumo

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I switched to Sprint from AT&T for the Evo. I also have problems with static on my phone. I don't notice it so much when someone is talking, but if I stop talking and then there is silence a hear a loud static noise, almost like a CB radio when one person lets go of the transmit button. I notice it much more when then person on the other end is on the AT&T network, but it also there for other calls too. My wife also is using the Evo 4G and we have the same problem with hers. It's very annoying because sometimes the static lasts long enough you miss the beginning of the other persons sentence.

Otherwise the call quality is excellent.

Wow, thank you so much for the info. I'm simultaneously relieved and saddened that other people are experiencing this. The fact that you and your wife both have units makes me wonder if that the static is universal, but people aren't noticing. I can understand that there will always be a small amount of noise, but c'mon, sometimes it's pretty aggravating and extremely noticeable. I live in Southern CA, you?

Since our units are all experiencing the static, I was wondering if your speech to text function has a delay on it. I posted this on another forum:

Whenever I try to use the speech to text the first time on any application, it does not pick up my voice. You know how the microphone fills with color as it picks up your voice when it works? Well, it does not do this the first time I use it in any application. Here's an example:
When sending a text message, I hit the microphone icon to start speech to text. I begin talking, but the microphone does not pick anything up. I can wait a second and start talking again and it has a 50% chance of picking up the audio. So instead, I just cancel it and start it over. Once it starts over, it picks up the audio right away and the mic fills w/color as it should.
This happens ALL the time and is very frustrating.

I tried it on someone else's EVO and he is not having this problem. I thought it could be Advanced Task Killer, but it's not.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Any ideas on what could be causing this?

donald.aleshire

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
I am also experiencing this too, not for sure what could be causing this....maybe the network but I never had any issues with Sprint in the past 7plus years

Maybe a software issue?

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
If your BT headsets are not noise canceling, you will get a bit of feedback (static) from the sounds around you. I get a bit with mine. Seems less so if I keep the headset and the phone on the same side of my body. But I have been having this type of issue since I started using BT headsets years ago. I do not get any static talking directly with the phone, or if the phone is on speaker modem.

creighton

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
FWIW, the problem I am experiencing is not with a BT headset, it is with the phone's speaker. If I use a BT headset I still have the crackling, but it does not seem as bad. I am in the Houston area.

Regarding speech to text, I had not noticed this before you mentioned it, but there is a delay when using this function. Like you said, it seems to be about a second or so from when it first says listening to when it actually starts to pick up sounds.

Nickgumo

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Hmm... I'm really considering exchanging the unit, but I'm worried that I might get a worse EVO (I've read about some people getting dead pixels and some units that are constantly soft resetting).

I really wish that it could be a software issue. I might do a hard reset. This is my first CDMA phone; if I do a hard reset, will it automatically reconnect to Sprint? I know I'll lose all my settings, files, and contacts. I just want to make sure the network settings would be automatically configured.

Thanks for all the replies.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Glad to hear this from others. I am noticing it as I have just switched from a 10+ year Verizon customer. It is most noticeable in a wired headset with both ear buds in, noticeable in blue tooth and barely noticeable simply using the phone. I find it noticeable on speaker phone also. Had been testing mostly with Skype calls the first few days but was a bit shocked when trying to do regular cell calls all today and facing the "noise". The other end of the call could hear it also (Verizon and ATT) where they do not get it from my Verizon phone / service. So clearly a Sprint and/or Evo issue it seems. Anybody tried posting to Sprint's support forum?

munash

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site

Same problem here. Loud static/hissing sound after some one speaks and there is silence. It is very annoying. I am also in the Houston area. And it is definitely the most when the other person is on ATT. I don't know if the area has something to do with it. Let me know if you find a solution. I am thinking about taking it in to a Sprint store today. Will try to change the CDMA codec to EVRC b as some have pointed.

barrysanders20

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
At first it was the ear piece doing. Yesterday was the first time I've had it happen with a blue tooth. Yes, mine was noise canceling, so that wasn't the problem. I was really annoying because I had to turn down the volume in order to hear the person on the other line. I believe it's something specific to the phone doing it. I also have a Droid Eris that does not have this problem. I also doubt it's the network, since other people that have had this problem swapped phones. It doesn't happen on the new phone. I tried to exchange mine, but they are out. I'm trying to decide if I want to deal with it, exchange it, or refund it and wait for the Galaxy S.

Nickgumo

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Wow, it's good to hear that someone has exchanged the device and got rid of the static. My phone now started to reset itself for no reason. I researched the problem and other people are experiencing it too (though some have it far worse with constant soft resets).

I've been checking Best Buy ever 2-3 days since June 8th and they are always sold out. I went in today to find that they have a waiting list with about 15 names on it. Ugh.

creighton

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I exchanged my phone and went from hardware revision 2 to revision 3. Static is still present. On top of that, I now hear a rattle from the earpiece speaker when the volume is turned up to any of the top three levels. I got lucky with the first exchange, just happened to walk into BB and they had one unit left. I have a feeling that I won't get so lucky this time around.

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I have had no static at all until yesterday, after the update. I can only, for now hear it in the Speaker phone. I really heard it with Google Translate and voice translation. I don't remember having a problem with this until yesterday. Could a speaker blow? Or was it always there and I just didn't hear it?

barrysanders20

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I think this is either an issue with the speaker or some type of software audio boost gone wrong. It only happens when the volume is near max for me. As soon as I crank it down, it's gone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo