I just got thru cancelling my plan & Evo with Sprint

Braaainz

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, the Sprint customer service reps were nice enough...

I got my brand new, gorgeous, Evo phone from Sprint via UPS. It was actually smaller a lot than I thought it would be.

Donning surgical gloves, I gingerly cleaned the screen with a micro-fiber cloth and placed a screen protector onto it. I loaded the battery and called Sprint from my old phone to activate the phone. I was so excited!

Turns out that when I bought the new Evo, I thought I was getting an upgrade from an ancient Motorola Razr. Sprint thought that I was adding a phone line.

I don't know how the misunderstanding occurred.

Regardless, I had a new Evo phone with a different phone number than the one I've had for the past decade.

When I asked them to switch my phone number over from the Razr, they told me they couldn't.

We talked about different options, but what it came down to was... they were charging me for two phone lines and I couldn't port my old number onto the new Evo. My only decent route would be to return the Evo to Sprint and keep my Razr. I can buy a new Evo when it becomes available.

I am still feeling rather upset and disappointed.

If AT&T didn't cap their data on the new iPhone... I'd switch to them in a heartbeat. Dammit.

antianalog

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
You can change the phone number of any device on your plan over the phone (not that this applies to you). If you had to return the EVO to cancel the new line then you could walk into a Sprint store and upgrade your current line. With that being said you can still get an EVO, so what's the problem?

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
If you were eligible for an upgrade there's no reason why they shouldn't have been able to swap the phones and cancel the second line.

Braaainz

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
If you were eligible for an upgrade there's no reason why they shouldn't have been able to swap the phones and cancel the second line.
I bought from Sprint directly... and they're currently backordered. Oh, and yes, I was up for the maximum upgrade discount.

If you didn't send your phone back, call them and get a supervisor on the line, they can straighten this out.

Yup. Talked to the supervisor. No go.

They were willing to let me have the Evo IF I accepted the new phone number. Personally, I've had my old number for over ten years and I don't want to even think of how I'd get in touch with all my friends/families/business contacts to let them all know about the change, so that wasn't really an option.

You can change the phone number of any device on your plan over the phone (not that this applies to you). If you had to return the EVO to cancel the new line then you could walk into a Sprint store and upgrade your current line. With that being said you can still get an EVO, so what's the problem?

All the Evos are sold out in my area. I'm on a call-list at the local Sprint store for when they get their next shipment... but when I talked with them about upgrading in the past (a year ago)... they told me that they were not a direct affiliate and that they couldn't port my number either (my residence is in Florida, but I'm currently working out of state for an extended period). Which is why I went thru Sprint directly.

Does anyone else have problems keeping their phone number when they try and upgrade?!?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Do you have a Sprint corporate store near you? I find this unimaginable, someone got their wires crossed at Sprint, probably when it was going from rep to supervisor.

I'd def. call back. They should either cancel the EVO line and re-add it as an upgarde to your line, or they should swap the numbers on the phones and cancel the the 2nd line.

They might end up with a balance on your account for non-returned hardware so they'll have to put a credit in to your account.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Sucks that it got messed up.

But it sounds like you just had to return the phone, so the only issue is that you have to wait a few more days for an Evo and you're good to go, right?

Braaainz

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Do you have a Sprint corporate store near you? I find this unimaginable, someone got their wires crossed at Sprint, probably when it was going from rep to supervisor.

I'd def. call back. They should either cancel the EVO line and re-add it as an upgarde to your line, or they should swap the numbers on the phones and cancel the the 2nd line.

They might end up with a balance on your account for non-returned hardware so they'll have to put a credit in to your account.

No, there's no corporate store near me. There are two "Sprint Stores" in town, but supposedly, they're "affliates" and not corporate.

They're willing to cancel the Evo line and re-add it as an upgrade... just NOT with the Evo they sent me. They said something about how the serial numbers on the phone are assigned or something and that they could, in no manner or way, change the number assigned to the Evo they sent me. I thought that was BS because people change numbers on phones everytime they buy a used phone.

Now that I'm thinking about it, this didn't happen until towards the end of the work day. I wonder if they were trying to blow me off because it was near the end of their business day?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
No, there's no corporate store near me. There are two "Sprint Stores" in town, but supposedly, they're "affliates" and not corporate.

They're willing to cancel the Evo line and re-add it as an upgrade... just NOT with the Evo they sent me. They said something about how the serial numbers on the phone are assigned or something and that they could, in no manner or way, change the number assigned to the Evo they sent me. I thought that was BS because people change numbers on phones everytime they buy a used phone.

Now that I'm thinking about it, this didn't happen until towards the end of the work day. I wonder if they were trying to blow me off because it was near the end of their business day?

I'd def. call back. They have the ability to cancel the new EVO line and free it off of your account, they may have to put it through like you bought it at full price though, thus the credit back to your account I was speaking of. (retail minus the cost you paid)

After that's taken care the ESN on the EVO is free & clear, then they can put it on your line as an upgrade and activate it.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Hrmm, so since you purchased it through an affiliate (it is like purchasing it at Best Buy) so I don't know if Sprint directly will be able to help you. They can't switch it and cancel the line unless you return the phone but you didn't buy the phone directly through Sprint so would have to be the place you bought it from.

I'd contact Sprint directly to see if there is anything they can do anyway if you already haven't.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Hrmm, so since you purchased it through an affiliate (it is like purchasing it at Best Buy) so I don't know if Sprint directly will be able to help you. They can't switch it and cancel the line unless you return the phone but you didn't buy the phone directly through Sprint so would have to be the place you bought it from.

I'd contact Sprint directly to see if there is anything they can do anyway if you already haven't.

He got it from Sprint direct.

jedisrus

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Title is kind of misleading. You will actually still have a line with Sprint and no EVO. I can't help but feel like we are missing some part of the story here. Why did you order directly from Sprint to begin with?

Edge767

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
You should also be able to swap phones on the website. We do it between our 6 lines on our account all the time. My daughter is the pro at it, now.