Spam in my EVO 4G

jair

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Hello guys,

Today April 12th around 1:00pm CDT started getting this strange plus green symbol on my EVO 4G notifications bar (I will be attaching two pictures here) Has anyone "Jerry Hildenbrand" perhaps mention anything about this?

14c61kz.jpg

Notice the green + sign in the notification bar...

Here is when I open it: there is a spam about dating and girls site or something

2yjv4sw.jpg

Please help what should I do to get rid of this and protect from happening again, also this will help others to prevent get the same spam.

Thank you!

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Looks like whats called an "Airpush" ad.

They are evil, and come from one of your free apps. Download this:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=com.lookout.addetector&token=KfCBKHap

Run it and see which apps have the ability to install ads in your notification bar. One of them is the culprit.

Note: Just because an app *can* put them up there doesn't mean they are. It depends on what ad SDK they are using, and what parts of it they have implemented.

And I'm totally putting this one on the blog :)

jair

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Hello Jerry,

I did what you recommended and found on app with the "app detector" application. There is a free app I use for discount calculation "free" so I wonder if I should remove the app immediately?

Also I have always run the default "sprint" version of Android, at the moment I have 2.3.5 I have never root my EVO, I have a second EVO 4G I use to charge the second battery and use it sometimes for Skype calls and smtp client tests with my Linux projects.

Can you recommend me the steps to root this second evo, see how the ICS perhaps runs and apply the root to the production "Evo"? Is it ICS room available and stable enough for the EVO 4G on Sprint?

I have been doing some reading in the forums and research about steps to back up before rooting the phone and the process to root it.

I look forward to your response and I apologize I could not make it to the podcast today I will listen it for sure while driving to my next volleyball game.

Thank you again for your response!

denisew1972

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Looks like whats called an "Airpush" ad.

They are evil, and come from one of your free apps. Download this:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=com.lookout.addetector&token=8Qvuau4f

Run it and see which apps have the ability to install ads in your notification bar. One of them is the culprit.

Note: Just because an app *can* put them up there doesn't mean they are. It depends on what ad SDK they are using, and what parts of it they have implemented.

And I'm totally putting this one on the blog :)

Thank you so much for this information... Downloaded it immediately and I luckily didn't have any notification bar ad culprits but it's good to know I can easily find the source if it ever happens in the future... :)