Evo slow down?

wrxdrunkie

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I am new to Android and the Evo, but man it is really bogging down on me lately, when I first got the phone and I would bring up the phone dialer it would do it so fast, now its lagging. Screen swipes to other homescreens lag, everything is slower.

I have rebooted the phone, switched scenes to something more plain.

Anyone have any more ideas of trouble shooting steps? are there certain apps I should stay away from in the market? I do not have anything to crazy I don't think.

Thanks for suggestions!

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
You might try using a task killer since you are not happy with your current performance. Advanced task killer seems to have the market cornered. There's also a good one you can find in my apps on appbrain below. Try that, be careful not to kill the htc system apps. If you do usually no biggie, it will just restart sense for you.

wrxdrunkie

May 20, 2010
Visit site
hmm I have tried advanced task killer, it did not seem to help, I also removed it thinking it might of been causing the problem.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
sounds like you have a lot of background garbage, but i cant think of anything, especially app wise that would slow you down, that ATK wouldn't take care of... Also do you have all of the latest updates installed?

wrxdrunkie

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I do have the latest updates installed, I am turning the device off now, its taking forever to turn off, black screen, unresponsive, but its still on..

It did a thing earlier where it booted up and restarted like 6 times straight.

Just reset the device with the stock sprint scene, 127mb of free ram, I am about to restart and see how much free ram I have with my scene.

With my default scene I have 132M after restart, this was really weird. I love android so far but I have def. have been having to restart it more than my iphone or pre

Last edited:

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
How do you check for that? Do you have to have Advanced Task Killer running to see how much ram you have left?

VKitty

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Task Killers are BAD for an Android phone

Android kills tasks all on its own, you dont need to do anything.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Task Killers are BAD for an Android phone

Android kills tasks all on its own, you dont need to do anything.

1. I disagree, there are plenty of people who are showing that in 2.1 their battery is dramatically improved with moderate use of a task killer.

2. This thread isn't on task killers its to help the OP with his question.

3. Since android apparently isn't working as the OP desired, other solutions are being explored.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
My last suggestion to you wrxdunkie, unfortunately is do a factory reset. There isn't to much else i can think of, aside from maybe something going wrong during an install, or some bad apps. Hopefully that will fix the issue.

wrxdrunkie

May 20, 2010
Visit site
My last suggestion to you wrxdunkie, unfortunately is do a factory reset. There isn't to much else i can think of, aside from maybe something going wrong during an install, or some bad apps. Hopefully that will fix the issue.

I think I will go ahead and do a hard reset.

Hopefully I will have closer to 200mb of free ram

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
But Android OS is suppose to kill the apps for you, more efficiently then any TK can do.

Right, so what do you do if its not killing them efficiently. Or if its not killing the ones you want to kill? For example it loads Sprint nav on start up, and if you use sprint nav, then close, it will still run in the background, and still drain your battery.

ArkAngel06

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed my phone will get down to 60mb available memory. And that significantly slows it down. Killing all the running tasks helps, but a full reboot is the only way to really free up all the memory again.

So I've started rebooting about once a day...really helps.

wrxdrunkie

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed my phone will get down to 60mb available memory. And that significantly slows it down. Killing all the running tasks helps, but a full reboot is the only way to really free up all the memory again.

So I've started rebooting about once a day...really helps.

This is basically the exact problem I am having. I just did a hard reset.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Seems like that's a good practice for any smart phone, reboot once a day. Seeing how fast it reboots, it doesn't really bother me much doing that. Unlike the Pre....good lord....that took forever!

wrxdrunkie

May 20, 2010
Visit site
woah, 127 is bad, i'm running like 220 with apps open. you have something running in the background for sure...

How exactly do you have that much free ram? I just did a hard reset and on first boot I had 130mb and now its at 90.

Do you use widgets?

Other users, do you have in the 200mb range of free ram?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae