06-09-2010 08:20 PM
33 12
tools
    I am new to Android and the Evo, but man it is really bogging down on me lately, when I first got the phone and I would bring up the phone dialer it would do it so fast, now its lagging. Screen swipes to other homescreens lag, everything is slower.

I have rebooted the phone, switched scenes to something more plain.

Anyone have any more ideas of trouble shooting steps? are there certain apps I should stay away from in the market? I do not have anything to crazy I don't think.

Thanks for suggestions!
    06-09-2010 10:57 AM
    You might try using a task killer since you are not happy with your current performance. Advanced task killer seems to have the market cornered. There's also a good one you can find in my apps on appbrain below. Try that, be careful not to kill the htc system apps. If you do usually no biggie, it will just restart sense for you.
    06-09-2010 11:01 AM
    hmm I have tried advanced task killer, it did not seem to help, I also removed it thinking it might of been causing the problem.
    06-09-2010 11:02 AM
    sounds like you have a lot of background garbage, but i cant think of anything, especially app wise that would slow you down, that ATK wouldn't take care of... Also do you have all of the latest updates installed?
    06-09-2010 11:10 AM
    I do have the latest updates installed, I am turning the device off now, its taking forever to turn off, black screen, unresponsive, but its still on..

It did a thing earlier where it booted up and restarted like 6 times straight.

Just reset the device with the stock sprint scene, 127mb of free ram, I am about to restart and see how much free ram I have with my scene.

With my default scene I have 132M after restart, this was really weird. I love android so far but I have def. have been having to restart it more than my iphone or pre
    06-09-2010 11:17 AM
    woah, 127 is bad, i'm running like 220 with apps open. you have something running in the background for sure...
    06-09-2010 11:29 AM
    How do you check for that? Do you have to have Advanced Task Killer running to see how much ram you have left?
    06-09-2010 11:31 AM
    I use tasKiller free, has a nice widget, but yea, ATK should tell you too...
    06-09-2010 11:33 AM
    Task Killers are BAD for an Android phone

Android kills tasks all on its own, you dont need to do anything.
    06-09-2010 11:35 AM

Then how come this thing is bogging down so badly and not stopping the tasks?
    06-09-2010 11:39 AM

1. I disagree, there are plenty of people who are showing that in 2.1 their battery is dramatically improved with moderate use of a task killer.

2. This thread isn't on task killers its to help the OP with his question.

3. Since android apparently isn't working as the OP desired, other solutions are being explored.
    06-09-2010 11:41 AM
    My last suggestion to you wrxdunkie, unfortunately is do a factory reset. There isn't to much else i can think of, aside from maybe something going wrong during an install, or some bad apps. Hopefully that will fix the issue.
    06-09-2010 11:43 AM
    My last suggestion to you wrxdunkie, unfortunately is do a factory reset. There isn't to much else i can think of, aside from maybe something going wrong during an install, or some bad apps. Hopefully that will fix the issue.
    I think I will go ahead and do a hard reset.

Hopefully I will have closer to 200mb of free ram
    06-09-2010 11:45 AM
    if not, take your phone to sprint and ask them to check it out, you may also possible have some defective ram...
    06-09-2010 11:47 AM
    3. Since android apparently isn't working as the OP desired, other solutions are being explored.

But Android OS is suppose to kill the apps for you, more efficiently then any TK can do.
    06-09-2010 11:49 AM
    But Android OS is suppose to kill the apps for you, more efficiently then any TK can do.
    Right, so what do you do if its not killing them efficiently. Or if its not killing the ones you want to kill? For example it loads Sprint nav on start up, and if you use sprint nav, then close, it will still run in the background, and still drain your battery.
    06-09-2010 11:59 AM
    I've noticed my phone will get down to 60mb available memory. And that significantly slows it down. Killing all the running tasks helps, but a full reboot is the only way to really free up all the memory again.

So I've started rebooting about once a day...really helps.
    06-09-2010 12:00 PM
    I've noticed my phone will get down to 60mb available memory. And that significantly slows it down. Killing all the running tasks helps, but a full reboot is the only way to really free up all the memory again.

So I've started rebooting about once a day...really helps.

This is basically the exact problem I am having. I just did a hard reset.
    06-09-2010 12:03 PM
    Seems like that's a good practice for any smart phone, reboot once a day. Seeing how fast it reboots, it doesn't really bother me much doing that. Unlike the Pre....good lord....that took forever!
    06-09-2010 12:04 PM
    woah, 127 is bad, i'm running like 220 with apps open. you have something running in the background for sure...

How exactly do you have that much free ram? I just did a hard reset and on first boot I had 130mb and now its at 90.

Do you use widgets?

Other users, do you have in the 200mb range of free ram?
    06-09-2010 12:06 PM
    Android 2.1 (at least on the Evo) randomly starts various application, even when not requested by the user. By default, Android does an OK job of killing tasks, but it uses a fairly conservative approach. Apps are aloud to run longer that you might need just in case you need them again. At one point, I had 39 apps running, must of which I did not start. And those were just apps. There are a lot us services that run in the background as well. From time to time (especially if you have recently opened a lot of applications), Android can slow down considerably. This is due to the fact that it's task-killing rate is conservative.

I use Advanced Task Killer because you can set use it's widget to manually kill all tasks, or you can set intervals for killing tasks. You can also kill tasks when the screen is turned off. It even has its own "auto-kill level" which allows the app to more aggressively kill background tasks. Finally, you can exclude certain task that you want to leave alone. There are even more advanced task management apps that allow you to kill services too, but that can be a bit trickier.

The point is that Android CAN manage tasks by itself, but it may not get the job done for some of us. Luckily, we have a lot of options.
    06-09-2010 12:09 PM
    Ya it looks like I might be one of those people.

The only I was able to get 200+mb free was to launch on a "clean" scene with NO widgets or apps, which is pretty boring, I did not think widgets would bog down the system that much.
    06-09-2010 12:16 PM
    Right, so what do you do if its not killing them efficiently. Or if its not killing the ones you want to kill? For example it loads Sprint nav on start up, and if you use sprint nav, then close, it will still run in the background, and still drain your battery.

Not sure but the devs say that it closing apps is not a good way to work in a mobile environment.

We did not want to require that users close applications when "done" with them. Such a usage pattern does not work well in a mobile environment, where usage tends to involve repeated brief contact with a wide variety of applications throughout the day.
    06-09-2010 01:26 PM
    So how common is it to have in the 200mb range of free ram?

I am sitting at about 140mb free right now.
    06-09-2010 04:46 PM
    I hover around the 210-240 range when running apps. After I kill everything after a fresh reboot, I sometimes get upwards to 280mb free.

For those sitting on low numbers of ram, what apps are you guys running actively?
    06-09-2010 05:01 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD