Camera Killing Battery Life?

Tofurkeymeister

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I got my phone Monday and have been using it for around two days. In both instances, the camera was the process that consumed the most battery, according the battery usage information in the settings. Today, camera used 32% of the battery, while android sytem used 25% and Sprint Naviagation used 12%.

Why did the camera suck up so much juice, despite taking around 15 photographs?

helloworld1

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
I'll add to this

2.jpg

This was from 9 hours of usage. I only used the camcorder for 32 seconds. Does this look right?

I also spent time on youtube, web browsing with wifi, and browsed the market a lot. It doesnt make sense that the system is only at 9% and camera is 82% considering I used it for such a small amount of time.

Sorry for the bad quality pic, I hope you can make it out.

Thanks for the help!

duckwars

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I saw this too. I thought it was kind of open in the background ready to pop open quickly... but it'd be nice if it didn't do that, if it does in face do what I think it does.

mhespenh

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Are you using the flash? Those LEDs are going to such juice.

I doubt the LEDs are the culprit- most LEDs use less than 30mA of current while on, and the flashes are only on for seconds at a time.

To put it in perspective: The EVO has a 1500mAh capacity battery. An average LED uses ~20mA to light, but since these are bright-ass LEDs, lets call it 50mA. The flash fires for ~2 seconds. 2/3600 = .000555 hours * 50mA = 0.028mAh * 2 flashes = 0.055mAh of usage for both flashes during a photograph. This amounts to 0.0037% of the total battery capacity of the EVO.

Last edited:

Tofurkeymeister

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I got a similar result to your photo, but I doubt its because its open in the background as I used a Task Killer just to be sure (Using a task killer continuously didn't change my battery life at all).

It must be a bug in my opinion.