Why does Sense not do landscape?

MichiDan

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Agreed!

I'm with the original poster! Not supporting landscape mode is a HORRIBLE ommission! Having to type in portrait mode for certain screens is torture!

Not to mention, it's just terribly confusing. I had my wife set down her Samsung Moment to try my EVO, and I had to keep saying, "Oh, landscape doesn't work on that screen."

Not exactly user-friendly... she was not impressed.

MDteX

May 14, 2010
Visit site
the kickstand is for watching movies... period. thats all...

What?!? I use the kickstand and I've never watched a movie on mine. What about using it for music? Or even video conferencing which is what is was really designed for.

Maybe you should have stated "...period. thats all I use it for". That may have been more accurate.

Blubble#AC

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Guys, LauncherPro and ADW.Launcher are great, free alternatives that do landscape quite nicely. They don't slow the phone down or cause any problems.

This is my home screen in Landscape using LauncherPro. I just prop it up on my desk with the kickstand, plug it in and set the screen to not turn off. It's great to have it like that while I'm at the office.

4691869282_61b3344c86_b.jpg

xorbe

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
What weather widget is that? (That's not stock, right?)

I actually turned off landscape, and am trying the 5 home rows from the advanced options ... icon overload!

Blubble#AC

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
No. It's the Weather Channel app's widget. They have a few different sizes. That's the smallest. The 1x4 size has a nice three day forecast layout.

65bit

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Widgets?

Hi - I'm a noob with android. I'm giving Launcher Pro a try, but where do the additional widget optoins you show on your screen shots come from? Using clock as an example, if I do add > widget, the only choice I see is for an analog clock. More embarassing noob, how do you add a 'standard' widget like mail to a Launcer Pro screen? Again, if I click add > widget, I don't see it.

Thanks for any help

Blubble#AC

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
No sweat. I am more or less and Android noob as well.

When using any launcher other than Sense, the HTC widgets are unavailable.

I just found various widgets in the Market.

The clock widget is DigiClock Widget.

The battery widget is Power Monitor.

The weather widget comes with the Weather Channel app.

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Speaking of launcher pro, is there a way to add sense widgets to launcher pro or any aftermarket launcher to add sense widgets? I like the sense widgets but I want to be able to make homescreen landscape as well.

LikeAChampion3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
How can I add Application icons to ADW? It doesn't give me that option (for example, I want to have an icon for Car Dock, but since there isnt a widget I cant do it.

Thanks

LikeAChampion3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Nevermind, I figured it out. If you go into the app drawer and long press on an app, it will let you add it to your home screen. Kind of strange that you can't just long press the home screen and choose "Application".

LikeAChampion3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
You can add shortcuts to apps just like you can with Sense. Is that what you're asking?

No, in ADW you cannot do it the same was as Sense, or at least not from the home screen itself like you can do in Sense. When you long press on the ADW home screen, you can add a widget, shortcut, etc, but "Application" is not in the list.

Blubble#AC

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
You can still achieve the same thing. I just tried it with ADW.

Tap and hold on a home screen. Select Shortcuts. You'll then see Applications as the first choice. Then you'll see a list of your applications.

You can also just open your app drawer, then tap and hold on an app. When it highlights, just drag it up and place it on your home screen.

LikeAChampion3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yep, thanks!

Another question related to these alternative launchers...right now, when I hit the Home button it shows choices to either go to the HTC sense home or the ADW home. I am going to put the ADW as the default, but what if I wanted to go back to the HTC home? Is there an app or shortcut that will allow me to do so? I never saw an "HTC Sense" option anywhere (since it was the one and only launcher on the phone) until I installed ADW.

I am sure it would revert back to HTC Sense if I ever uninstalled ADW, but what if I just wanted an easy way to toggle (other than using the home capacitive button)?

Blubble#AC

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
If you want to switch back to Sense or any other installed launcher, do the following.

- Go into Settings from the home screen or the app drawer.

- Select Applications > Manage Applications > ADW.Launcher

- You should see a button that says "Clear Defaults". Tap it.

After that, the next time you tap the home key, you'll see the launcher list again. You can choose Sense and set it as your default launcher. All your home screen settings should remain the way you left them in Sense.

gut

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
And vice versa, if you are in Sense and want to go back to Launcher Pro or other installed application. Applications> Manage Applications> HTC Sense >Clear Defaults

There is still something funky about the orientation in certain modes. My keyboard sometimes just will not switch orientation to landscape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles