Exchange and Gmail Solutions

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
So, as I have described in a previous thread, I have an Exchange (work) and a Gmail (personal) email account. As I have recently realized, the Gmail app only supports Gmail accounts, and the Mail app doesn't support Gmail push. That means I'm having to rely on two apps to handle my email needs: Mail for my Exchange emails and Gmail app for my Gmail emails.

Is there any solution that handles both types of emails as push (as they arrive)?

I believe K9mail does not support push Exchange accounts.

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Please don't me there isn't one. I think it's sad that we have to rely on two programs to get push to different kinds of accounts.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I guess what it comes down to is weather or not you need the emails immediately as they come in, or if you can wait every 15 minutes (or whatever interval you have set) for it to poll the server and see if you have any new mail. This goes for both gmail and exchange. Do benefit analysis and see whether or not one unified mailbox is worth the 15 minute wait. If it is, then its a no brainier.

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
But there are no apps out there that can push both, IMAP and Exchange, accounts? That's odd.

It's not only a matter of waiting 15 minutes, but pinging the server every 15 minutes and draining the battery.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
thats correct, but i don't think that even the built in E-mail app is push for exchange, i think it also pings the server at the specified interval. But correct me if i'm wrong.

riste601

May 18, 2010
Visit site
If you set up your gmail account as an exchange account, you will get push notifications. just set the the server to m.google.com and the domain to gmail.com.

AJordanWise

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I have the exact same thing with work and my gmail account. I have things set up through an app called "Seven" and it is wonderful. It is not a truely integrated inbox like my Blackberry but it is pretty close and is AMAZING compared to the native Mail application.

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
If you set up your gmail account as an exchange account, you will get push notifications. just set the the server to m.google.com and the domain to gmail.com.

Now this is interesting. How would I set it up like Exchange though? When I click manual setup I can only select POP, APOP, or IMAP. Tried them all with server m.google.com with no success. Can you tell me what you did exactly?

Thanks again!

wirelessness#AC

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
If you want Gmail Push it's very simple. Just enable IMAP in your Gmail account. Then add another Exchange account in the Mail Application on your Evo using the Gmail Imap Server address. The Mail Application will automatically populate the correct SSL enabled ports for the IMAP enabled Gmail Servers. This works very well.

Then you can use the Mail Application for all email accounts. I like to set up both Mail Widgets using two of my Home Screens so I can easily see my emails. You can't do that with the Gmail Application.

Edge767

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Am I missing something? I have Exchange and Gmail push using default apps on my Evo. I'm using the HTC Email app for exchange and the Gmail app for my gmail accoung, and both push immediately. I hear the new email notification before Outlook even recognizes the new email as being in my inbox.

Yes, I use the two clients separately, but for me, I like having separate clients for my work and personal email. Point is: push works just fine.

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
You are missing something. From Post #1:

"
So, as I have described in a previous thread, I have an Exchange (work) and a Gmail (personal) email account. As I have recently realized, the Gmail app only supports Gmail accounts, and the Mail app doesn't support Gmail push. That means I'm having to rely on two apps to handle my email needs: Mail for my Exchange emails and Gmail app for my Gmail emails.

Is there any solution that handles both types of emails as push (as they arrive)?

I believe K9mail does not support push Exchange accounts."

That's how I have it. But I don't want to have to rely on 2 programs to tackle the same thing in 2 different accounts. That's just dumb and no intuitive.

BTW guys, what do you know about Seven?

Seven email app - Android Forums

jaysen

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
If you want Gmail Push it's very simple. Just enable IMAP in your Gmail account. Then add another Exchange account in the Mail Application on your Evo using the Gmail Imap Server address. The Mail Application will automatically populate the correct SSL enabled ports for the IMAP enabled Gmail Servers. This works very well.

Then you can use the Mail Application for all email accounts. I like to set up both Mail Widgets using two of my Home Screens so I can easily see my emails. You can't do that with the Gmail Application.

How are you accomplishing this... Just like Akarol stated, when you try and add a new account (once a current exchange account is active) the only options you get are POP, APOP, and IMAP - all of which require a frequency for polling; not true push.

How are you getting the option to add a second exchange account?

wirelessness#AC

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
How are you accomplishing this... Just like Akarol stated, when you try and add a new account (once a current exchange account is active) the only options you get are POP, APOP, and IMAP - all of which require a frequency for polling; not true push.

How are you getting the option to add a second exchange account?

Yes, you use the IMAP option for setting up your Gmail Server in the Mail App. As I stated you need to enable IMAP in your Gmail Account Settings. Then just setup your Gmail account in the Mail App using IMAP. The App auto populates the server address and port numbers when you type you gmail email address and select IMAP. Gmail Servers push the mail to your device.

jaysen

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

Yes, you use the IMAP option for setting up your Gmail Server in the Mail App. As I stated you need to enable IMAP in your Gmail Account Settings. Then just setup your Gmail account in the Mail App using IMAP. The App auto populates the server address and port numbers when you type you gmail email address and select IMAP. Gmail Servers push the mail to your device.

Ok I was just making certain because you contradicted yourself (not trying to argue, I promise just trying to figure out a way to use the default HTC mail app while receiving true GMAIL push)

Based on the second way you've described, I already had GMAIL setup as IMAP while using my droid - although I did reconfirm it was setup.

I used the IMAP incoming server address for Gmail: imap.gmail.com (and smtp.gmail.com for outgoing)

the app autopopulates the ports like you've described however after sending a test email to the gmail account it does not push the email automatically to the EVO. I purposely setup my evo, for testing purposes, to 1 hr polling and the email never downloaded until that 1 hr elapsed. Unless I'm missing something True GMAIL push via stock HTC Mail app is not possible ?

The closest you can get to "PUSH" is 15 minute intervals via polling

Edge767

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
That's how I have it. But I don't want to have to rely on 2 programs to tackle the same thing in 2 different accounts. That's just dumb and no intuitive.

Far be it for me to call someone dumb, but it is very intuitive and smart for me. For my use, I do not and cannot have personal email mixed with my work email. Even on the Pre, I preferred to use my email accounts separately and not use the "combine all" view (or whatever it was called).

What works for you doesn't make it perfect for everyone. It just makes it perfect for you (and vice-versa). There's no need to call anyone else's method "dumb and no intuitive."

wirelessness#AC

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Far be it for me to call someone dumb, but it is very intuitive and smart for me. For my use, I do not and cannot have personal email mixed with my work email.

Far be it from me to call anyone [sic] dumb, but setting up the Mail App in Android to use Exchange for your work email and IMAP for your Gmail does NOT create any kind of 'combined vew'. They are totally separate and the emails NEVER meet on the same screen or combine digitally at any point.

You must toggle from one Inbox to the other to view each account SEPARATELY. When you are in one account you can tap the top of the Mail Application where there is a drop down menu allowing you to select your other email account(s). The mail does not mix. I like being able to use the Mail Widget on Home Screens to view each account separately without having to open the applicaiton.

Edge767

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, I guess what works well for you works well for you.

I like what I'm doing, and it makes sense to me.

One person's method doesn't invalidate another's. It merely makes it "different."

I like being able to use the Gmail and Mail icons that show number of emails per account separately on my home screen. I also like the different icons. I appreciate your preference, but it doesn't match mine.

I tried to gain some insight into OP's issue and hope I could help, but it's clear I cannot.

Sorry.

wirelessness#AC

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Edege,

That is perfectly acceptable way of using the device and the email clients. I've done it that may and sometimes toggle between the two methods. I just wanted to be clear that enabling IMAP and using the Mail App for Gmail does NOT merge your Exchange email and the Gmail in the same Inbox in anyway that's all.

jaysen

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Ok back on topic :)

Wirelessness, so after my last reply can you confirm that your gmail, using the HTC mail app, is NOT true push but rather polling...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678