Possible solution to battery issue!!!

What is your Display Usage at?

• Total voters

cheebahawk1

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded NETWORK and my phone showed up as already set to CDMA auto PRL, but I went through the steps anyway just to make sure.

Network still shows GSM and GPRS in service.

Did you remember to hit menu> change radio band after you switched to CDMA auto PRL? and did you get booted out of network? You need to get booted out to ensure that the change took place.

My network shows CDMA evdo Rev A

cheebahawk1

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I just go to Network... Roaming.... Sprint only.. instead of automatic. Is that not the same thing?

I dont know for sure but I dont think so. Because of Android OS having GSM auto PRL built into the phone, I think you need to change it to CDMA.

Also they recommended that you leave it on automatic, especially for those that live in areas where they may frequently roam.

Joeriginal

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Did you remember to hit menu> change radio band after you switched to CDMA auto PRL? and did you get booted out of network? You need to get booted out to ensure that the change took place.

My network shows CDMA evdo Rev A

Mine keeps reverting back to GSM even after selecting radio band kicks me out, would step one make a difference on whether step two would work.

cheebahawk1

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Mine keeps reverting back to GSM even after selecting radio band kicks me out, would step one make a difference on whether step two would work.

No the two steps are completely unrelated and independent of one another.

Just to make sure:

1) when u run network, scroll down and it should be GSM auto PRL

2) hit menu then change radio band which gets you the foreclose menu hit force-close.

3) change radio to CDMA auto PRL

4) repeat step 2 and it boots you out.

The setting should stay at CDMA auto PRL when you go back into Network app just to look. If its not then I dont know what the solution would be.

reshp1

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

cheebahawk1

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I did this method to turn off the GSM (prl) thing, instead of the network app.
xda-developers - View Single Post - [How-To] Better battery life, reduce Time Without Signal.

It seems to work and stick after a reboot too. I've also seen a trick where you turn on airplane mode, turn the screen off/sleep, and then turn airplane mode back off. Seems to correct the inordinately large time without a signal issue (but does not stick after a reboot).

Yeah this is my step 2. I took it from XDA but with the network app it makes everything more simple instead of having to pound in codes each time.

QuasarZ

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Couple questions
1. What is the purpose of the "Update PRL" in the updates section when you go into 'about phone'
2. If that is something one would need to update every now and then, will this interfere?

cyberbec#AC

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Interesting.

Yesterday I could barely get any network connection. I would try to check my email and it would tell me there was no network connection. I tried this many times and places throughout the day.

Upon reading the info in this thread, I checked the value for my phone for "Time without a signal" - it was 40%. That certainly matches up with my struggle for network access.

So this morning I installed Network. Like others, when I ran the program, it said my network CDMA evdo Rev A. But I followed the instructions to explicitly set it to CMDA.

Ever since then, my "Time without signal" value has not risen above 1%.

Cool!

willsurg#AC

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I come from a palm pre, where my battery life sucked at work because the signal was so crappy and the phone kept looking for a tower. Forecd Roam hack solved that problem for me. I wonder if this is the same problem for the EVO. I checked and I am at work and without a signal 54%. But that did not surprise me cause I know sprint service at work sucks. I wonder if following this suggestion is a back door solution to the forced hack, or will screw things up when I leave work, as the sprint signal most every where else is fine. I wont be at work tomorrow, so I will wait and see what tomorrow brings for my time without a signal. I would be interested to hear if problems arrise from this once people get into good coverage.

dullgeek

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Couple questions
1. What is the purpose of the "Update PRL" in the updates section when you go into 'about phone'
2. If that is something one would need to update every now and then, will this interfere?
PRL is something from sprint. It's the "Preferred Roaming List". It's essentially a list of towers where roaming is available and the preference that Sprint has for the use of those towers.

Yes, you need to update it from time to time. If Sprint changes a roaming agreement with a provider, then that tower may not be available to roam on. This will decrease your ability to get signal in that area and increase your battery utilization.

The solution to every signal problem on Sprint should start with the step "Update PRL and see if that fixes it".

cheebahawk1

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Interesting.

Yesterday I could barely get any network connection. I would try to check my email and it would tell me there was no network connection. I tried this many times and places throughout the day.

Upon reading the info in this thread, I checked the value for my phone for "Time without a signal" - it was 40%. That certainly matches up with my struggle for network access.

So this morning I installed Network. Like others, when I ran the program, it said my network CDMA evdo Rev A. But I followed the instructions to explicitly set it to CMDA.

Ever since then, my "Time without signal" value has not risen above 1%.

Cool!

I'm glad that it was able to fix your TWS issue. I would also recommend following the charging tip, because my battery has been ROCK SOLID.

Gmaxxx

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Although I did not install Network (Cause my phone was at 16% only 1% more than reg.) I installed Adv. Task Killer and saw there was at least 10 apps in the BG running that I didn't need.

When I go into Battery Usage i got this.
Android Sys - 62%
Cell Standby - was 16 but now 17%
Display - 16%
Phone Idle - 5 %

Any info on how to get the system down a bit more, or is this a normal % rate?

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
The lower the time without signal the better it is so it being at 95% is kind of bad. I dont know if WiFi affects the mobile radios.

But I read on the web that Android for some reason has GSM radio search function built into the OS (maybe someone with better understanding can explain this) EVEN on a CDMA phone (in this case our Evo). So the OS makes our Evo search for a nearby GSM signal or tower, thus wasting battery life. Apparently setting it on CDMA auto PRL ensures that it only looks for CDMA towers sprint or otherwise (if it is roaming) thus using up battery less. my time without signal is at 2 or 3%. I think it improved my battery life significantly.

HTC may be planning a EVO type phone for a GSM company, like AT&T.

sum_n00b

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
When doing the battery conditioning steps, every time I power off the phone and plug it in to charge, it takes a solid two minutes for the red light to even come on. Seems odd to me. Did it every time. Possibly just a pointless side note here but I wanted to mention it.

aznmode

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
mines doing the same thing. when i touch the phone with one hand and i swipe with another it works but on a table and i use one hand it doenst work.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i think these battery level % widgets are way off. i've deleted them and will just stick with the stock default battery bar at the top.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01