Cowchip

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I finally got around to trying out the HDMI output tonight and found that something isn't working...not sure if it's the TV or the EVO.

When I have it unplugged the TV shows "Check signal cable" but that message disappears when I connect it to the EVO so I'm thinking that it does connect/handshake with the the EVO. I've tried playing videos from the SD card as well as the YouTube app and the TV then says "mode not supported". Any ideas?

Cowchip

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Oh, and the screen goes black (other than the video controls) on the EVO when the video begins to play which I would assume means that it is outputting it to the HDMI port.

Cowchip

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I did try that as well.

I found this on another Android site:

YouTube HQ is supposed to support HDMI out, but I have been unable to make it work. When I attempt to play a video, my TV (Samsung LN46A650) just says "mode not supported". We have heard there could be compatibility issues between HDMI 1.4 and older HDMI 1.1-1.3 devices, so that might have been my problem.

:mad:

That's fantastic. I have a TV that is about a year old and the EVO is not compatible?

charliegrs

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Do you have the phone connected directly to the TV, or is it going through a AV reciever? We have an AV reciever in my house, all the devices are HDMI connected first to the reciever, then out to the TV. And on a rare occasion I get the "mode not supported" message when I use the cable box or blu ray player. And I also have a samsung TV. If you are not connected direct to the TV, try doing that.

Cowchip

May 17, 2010
Visit site
All of my tests have been through the TV HDMI ports of which my TV has 3.

I could understand if my TV was 7 years old or something, but it's a Samsung that I bought new about a year ago so there is no way it should be considered old technology.

What a major fail on HTC's part to make it not compatible with standard HDMI.

bpdamas

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site

I could understand if my TV was 7 years old or something, but it's a Samsung that I bought new about a year ago so there is no way it should be considered old technology.

I know for laptops even some of the newest TVs aren't compatible. They need to be HDCP compatible. Maybe this is the same case for the EVO. Is your TV HDCP compatible?

pwnst_r

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Guess I'll be holding off on buying that cable then. My Panny plasma is <1 year old.

Edge767

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I got an HDMI cable from Amazon for $10. As soon as I get it, I'll test and report my findings. My LG 64" plasma is two months old.

mrzaphodb

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Works OK for me but it's a bit picky. I'm finding that per the instructions I do need to first power off the monitor before connecting the EVO. Still images only work in slideshow mode but the slideshow controls are visible on the EVO while the slideshow is running on the monitor. So you can pause, go forward and go back. Videos work fine from the gallery app, YouTube app, and TV.com app. SprintTV did not work though (not a fan of that app anyway).

Cowchip

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I just tried messing around with this again but this time with my 52" HDTV (another Samsung LCD not much older than the previous LCD I tested with) and found that viewing photos in slideshow mode will display on the TV just fine as mentioned above. Viewing individual pics from the gallery will not work...you must be in slideshow mode.

I still haven't had any luck with videos, whether from the gallery or the YouTube app. I've attempted to turn the TV off and on while the EVO is connected but as soon as I hit play I get the "mode not supported" message on the TV.

Cowchip

May 17, 2010
Visit site
So today I take my HDMI cable into to work, plug the EVO into a Samsung LCD, and it displays my videos just fine. WTF?

Mind you this TV at work is about three years older than the two Samsungs I have at home which don't work with the EVO.

C01E

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I'll have to try my evo on a samsung tv. everything Works great on my sony.

- Sent from my HTC Evo-4G using Taptalk Pro.

BigFace

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
HDMI and Navigation

Just wondering if HDMI works with Navigation. Would be cool to have a bigger monitor (17") than the regular GPS units and get full benefits of the maps.

kkumar99

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
anyone know if there is a way to view powerpoint presentations on a larger screen using the hmdi cable with any of the available programs?...feel like it would be a convenient feature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC