Just did a scratch test.

Roman G

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Also the end of the video shows how my screen is coming up from the bezel

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeoAl-94bks
Second video hopefully showing that there is infact no scratches on the phone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRI3y5cjHis

I suppose I should put in the disclaimer that the phone is being returned to sprint because the screen has risen up from the bezel, and that is the only reason that I did the scratch test.

One last disclaimer. The point of this post is not to say hey you don't need a screen protector. I was just wanting to show how tough the Evo screen is. When I had my hero I never dropped it, never put it in a pocket with anything, and at the end had 2 hairline scratches on the screen.
So if ya think you need a screen protector get one. Don't not get one just because of this.
NOTHING IS SCRATCH PROOF!

Last edited:

Sh3ngLong

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Watching that video made me cringe, but at least I don't have to worry too much anymore when I accidentally put my keys or coins in the wrong pocket. :) Thanks for proving the HTC Evo's gorilla glass of steel.

rjmjr69

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Sweet so the point of the screen protector is? LOL finger prints I suppose? Thanks for doing that test you would think they would advertise that as a huge selling point

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
It made me sit in the fetal position while watching it.
However, great to know that getting scratches on this thing is difficult/nearly impossible during daily use.

I'm just worried about the lens on the back.

Roman G

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
It made me sit in the fetal position while watching it.
However, great to know that getting scratches on this thing is difficult/nearly impossible during daily use.

I'm just worried about the lens on the back.

I forgot to mention that I did the same thing to the back, but it lasted all of 2 seconds and it scratched.
For the life of me I can't figure out why they would not use the same glass as the screen.

LipGloss712

May 17, 2010
Visit site
haha glad i didn't waste my money on a screen protector. its not like i put anything in the same pocket with my beloved evo anyways.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Watching that video made me cringe, but at least I don't have to worry too much anymore when I accidentally put my keys or coins in the wrong pocket. :) Thanks for proving the HTC Evo's gorilla glass of steel.

there is no gorilla glass in evo's....

I forgot to mention that I did the same thing to the back, but it lasted all of 2 seconds and it scratched.
For the life of me I can't figure out why they would not use the same glass as the screen.

yikes!

Edge767

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Nice video; thanks!

I don't use a screen protector for this very reason; on the Mohs Hardness Scale, glass falls in between 6 or 7, while steel, nickel, copper, and even titanium are softer (lower on the scale).

Being an ordinal scale, glass scoring a 6 or 7 is at a minimum as hard as titanium, and at maximum, twice as hard. Of course, a softer object can still damage a harder object as a response to force when stress and strain force the atoms beyond elasticity and plasticity into fracture (as in a steel hammer impacting glass, or a nail being driven into the face of a cell phone).

Enough physics (it's been a long time since I took that in college!); it's good to know that the glass on the Evo is high-quality. Just don't put it into a pocket full of diamonds, topaz, or sapphires!

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't feel like I wasted money on a screen protector. You can never be too careful. Besides, it was like $12. You might as well saying paying $7 a month for insurance on your $450 piece of equipment is a waste of money, too.

bpmurr

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for doing the test. It's good to know the glass will hold up to some abuse. What really concerns me, is your screen rising up. I have a feeling they'll all do this at some point because of the adhesive behind it not holding up.

Carioca_FL

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for sharing that Roman!

I do have a question though: when I tried to get my Pre replaced through warranty (and I have TEP coverage), the repair center claimed that it looked damaged (it had several scratches and what they claimed looked like a crack).

Aren't you concerned that your local repair tech may also claim the same? Although, I must say, I cannot see any scratches on your video, so that may be a moot point in the end...

FTR, I simply drove downtown and have my Pre replaced on the spot, so it ended up being easier then I thought.

Roman G

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for sharing that Roman!

I do have a question though: when I tried to get my Pre replaced through warranty (and I have TEP coverage), the repair center claimed that it looked damaged (it had several scratches and what they claimed looked like a crack).

Aren't you concerned that your local repair tech may also claim the same? Although, I must say, I cannot see any scratches on your video, so that may be a moot point in the end...

FTR, I simply drove downtown and have my Pre replaced on the spot, so it ended up being easier then I thought.

Like you said I caused no damage to the phone except the camera lens, but that is bound to get scratched it's just a matter of time. I have my new one coming through sprint.com.