Explain The Fee: "Premium Data"

Status
Not open for further replies.

dekcufi

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
*****Okay I know the Evo has been a smashing success so far but only a week or so in from release so time will tell. I am still decideing on the Evo or a bb as I am a sprint customer.*****

Comparing the Evo pricing to verizons and at&t's pricing for similiar plans is now about the same as each other? Did sprint just shoot themselves in the foot, with 4G slowly coming online and the 10$ fee. I am still waiting to get my evo to try it out but while doing so I did a price comparision between sprint Evo, verizion and at&t .The difference is Sprint to verizion is sprint cheaper by .98 cents, Sprint to at&t is at&t cheaper by 2$ (but did not see isurance fee listed).

Sprint
Everything Data-450 69.99
Premium Data 10.00
Insurance 7.00
Total per month 86.99

verizion wireless
Nationwide Talk 450 39.99
500 txt's plus unl verizon 10.00
Unlimited data 29.99
Insurance 7.99
Total per month 87.97

At&t
Nation 450 39.99
DataPro 2 GB 25.00
Messaging Unlimited 20.00
Insrance (wasn't listed)
Total per month 84.99

So what is the 10$ fee really for? 4G? Preparaions for extra data usage? Another way to get more money to pay for the evo over the life of the contract?

more like a lil xtra income to put in the poor 4g network box since it is going to kill them bringing it online and upto date with users perhaps
besides if att and verizon offer something similar maybe sprint will continue witht heir agressive price plans and reduce it further sine the other 2 have matched them

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
They may not be able to do either Financially. If they can not afford to put up towers, or give the service they have been given.

They either have to

• A) Charge people more money
or

• B) Remove the service/towers and not offer them.

They can't give you the service without charging you more, they don't have the Finances for it

The problem is they are charging me for the service and then not providing it. How does that make any sense? Why should I have to pay for a service that I cannot use?

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
No, it isn't cheaper for everyone. I'm no fan of ATT but if I was going with them I'd be happy because most of my data is used on a WIFI network, and I never use texting (I use a separate app). That means for me, all I'd need to pay is the 39 bucks for 450 mins, which rollover if I dont use them all in a month, and then 15 bucks for 200meg of data (I checked my data usage for the past 6 months and the most I used was 45 off of 3g, with a ton more over wifi obviously). So for me, thats 55 bucks minus my employers discount (23 percent) plus the stupid taxes, which is a huge difference over 80 bucks for Sprint. I like that things are more ala carte at ATT. It prevents me from having to pay for things I have no interest in.

I'll be much happier when ATT gets a better selection of Android phones though.

Like I said to each his own.... I travel for a living and I am on the road/out of town 4 days per week. I can't live on WiFi.... That isn't an option for me. When I had my Nexus One I tried several different Text Messaging apps and none seemed to work as well as just using the network/carrier option.

I could use Google Voice for my texting but I found it not as great as just using the Sprint network to send/receive my text.

Roll over minutes are the biggest scam in wireless (Even more so than the $10 EVO tax) if your rolling over minutes you are on a way too big a plan. My dad has AT&T with roll over and the last I talked to him he had like 2,000 roll over minutes. Yeah some months you go over but in the long run your better with a cheaper plan and just pay when you go over... Plus build up your roll over minutes and then make a change to your plan.. You lose all your minutes...

If your doing most of your data on WiFi then why do you even have an iPhone? Why not have a cheap piece of junk throw away phone and then have an iPod Touch or iPad???? That would be WAY cheaper in the long run.. You could still text and e-mail from the Touch or iPad.....

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
you getting the service of the evo
pay more for less phone and service elsewhere

i dont like the $10 tax myself but it is the price i pay for the phone i have.

The hero can do many, if not all the same things an EVO can, but it doesn't have an extra fee. Odds are that is only because the hero can't access 4g and the EVO can. When or if Sprint brings 4g to my area I will gladly pay extra for it, but don't make me pay for it and not allow me to use it.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
*****Okay I know the Evo has been a smashing success so far but only a week or so in from release so time will tell. I am still decideing on the Evo or a bb as I am a sprint customer.*****

Comparing the Evo pricing to verizons and at&t's pricing for similiar plans is now about the same as each other? Did sprint just shoot themselves in the foot, with 4G slowly coming online and the 10$ fee. I am still waiting to get my evo to try it out but while doing so I did a price comparision between sprint Evo, verizion and at&t .The difference is Sprint to verizion is sprint cheaper by .98 cents, Sprint to at&t is at&t cheaper by 2$ (but did not see isurance fee listed).

Sprint
Bought HTC EVO
Everything Data-450 69.99
Premium Data 10.00
Insurance 7.00
Total per month 86.99

verizion wireless
Bought HTC Incredable
Nationwide Talk 450 39.99
500 txt's plus unl verizon 10.00
Unlimited data 29.99
Insurance 7.99
Total per month 87.97

At&t
Bought Iphone 3Gs
Nation 450 39.99
DataPro 2 GB 25.00
Messaging Unlimited 20.00
Insrance (wasn't listed)
Total per month 84.99

So what is the 10$ fee really for? 4G? Preparaions for extra data usage? Another way to get more money to pay for the evo over the life of the contract?

This is pointless since A. your going with a cheaper texting plan with Verizon.. Only 500 text per month instead of the 5,000 text plan. I get and send at least 500 text a month with my wife asking me to do stupid crap while I am out of town. Let along the useless text I get from my brother, sister and friends not included the work related text. B. your AT&T plan does not include the insurance.. Insurance shouldn't even be compared since not all of us opt for insurance..... Your AT&T plan is cheaper but your not comparing like plans..

Plus your not taking into account that with Sprint you get unlimited calls to any mobile phone no matter the network. if you can live on 450 minutes total between every call you make each month good for you. 80 - 90% of my calls are to other mobile phones so I could throttle back my minutes with Sprint over AT&T or Verizon. You could also add in navigation to the AT&T plan at $9.99 per month which is both free with Sprint and Android and is included. Not even one will use the navigation but at least for free at any time with Android and Sprint you can use it in a pinch....

AT&T's new plans will make it cheaper for easily 90% of their customers but the other 10% will make up the slack... Kind of like our tax code.. the top 10% pay 90% of the taxes..... The heavy users are the ones who will end up leaving AT&T..... your typical user wont....

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The hero can do many, if not all the same things an EVO can, but it doesn't have an extra fee. Odds are that is only because the hero can't access 4g and the EVO can. When or if Sprint brings 4g to my area I will gladly pay extra for it, but don't make me pay for it and not allow me to use it.

I had a Hero for two weeks between when I sold my Nexus One and waiting for the EVO to arrive.... After one day I was completely frustrated with the Hero... the smaller screen and considering the processor is 1/2 the speed that phone really dragged even with 3G vs the EVO on the exact same 3G network.... That is also why Best Buy has the Hero on sale for $30 on a two year contract vs $199.99 on the EVO...

With the EVO your damn sure getting a WAY better piece of hardware that handles task a hell of a lot faster vs the Hero..... (and I do NOT have 4G in my area as of right now... They said 3rd Quarter 2010)

Gigity

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Like I said to each his own.... I travel for a living and I am on the road/out of town 4 days per week. I can't live on WiFi.... That isn't an option for me. When I had my Nexus One I tried several different Text Messaging apps and none seemed to work as well as just using the network/carrier option.

I could use Google Voice for my texting but I found it not as great as just using the Sprint network to send/receive my text.

Roll over minutes are the biggest scam in wireless (Even more so than the $10 EVO tax) if your rolling over minutes you are on a way too big a plan. My dad has AT&T with roll over and the last I talked to him he had like 2,000 roll over minutes. Yeah some months you go over but in the long run your better with a cheaper plan and just pay when you go over... Plus build up your roll over minutes and then make a change to your plan.. You lose all your minutes...

If your doing most of your data on WiFi then why do you even have an iPhone? Why not have a cheap piece of junk throw away phone and then have an iPod Touch or iPad???? That would be WAY cheaper in the long run.. You could still text and e-mail from the Touch or iPad.....

I prefer to carry one device. And the 30-50 meg of data Im using on the 3G network a month is essential to me (texts, email etc). Can't do that with a cheaper option, or at least not as easily. Plus having it with me means all my DRM music, movies and TV are always with me. I assume if I go with the iPhone 4 I'll need to bump my data up to accomodate Netflix on Demand on the road, and Hulu as well if they launch as expected.

I like the EVO, but my biggest complaint about almost all the Android-based phones is the absolute uncertainty about whether or not the phone I get will have the latest OS on it, and if it doesn't, theres never a clear indicator on whether or not it will get the latest, or when it will. Google needs to reign that in if they ever want to attract more of Apple's consumer base.

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I had a Hero for two weeks between when I sold my Nexus One and waiting for the EVO to arrive.... After one day I was completely frustrated with the Hero... the smaller screen and considering the processor is 1/2 the speed that phone really dragged even with 3G vs the EVO on the exact same 3G network.... That is also why Best Buy has the Hero on sale for $30 on a two year contract vs $199.99 on the EVO...

With the EVO your damn sure getting a WAY better piece of hardware that handles task a hell of a lot faster vs the Hero..... (and I do NOT have 4G in my area as of right now... They said 3rd Quarter 2010)

Since when did a faster cpu or bigger screen become justification for charging higher subscription fees? My broadband provider doesn't charge me more for service when I get a bigger monitor or get a faster computer.

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
The fee is basically helping them supporting the expansion for the 4G network. They have the cheapest plan with the 4G add on than Verizon and At&t when they just have 3G and you don't if they are gonna charge extra for their LTE 4G services and we know that Verizon's isn't gonna be unlimited.

SO EVERYONE QUIT YOUR B.ITCHING TO COMPLAIN JUST TO COMPLAIN!

ap3604

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Since when did a faster cpu or bigger screen become justification for charging higher subscription fees? My broadband provider doesn't charge me more for service when I get a bigger monitor or get a faster computer.

How about if your broadband provider was the one you bought your mintor from? and it was actually worth $440 but you only had $199 to pay? Then your broadband provider would subsidize the extra $240 over a 24 month period to make up the difference...

Hence the EVO 4g "tax"

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I prefer to carry one device. And the 30-50 meg of data Im using on the 3G network a month is essential to me (texts, email etc). Can't do that with a cheaper option, or at least not as easily. Plus having it with me means all my DRM music, movies and TV are always with me. I assume if I go with the iPhone 4 I'll need to bump my data up to accomodate Netflix on Demand on the road, and Hulu as well if they launch as expected.

I like the EVO, but my biggest complaint about almost all the Android-based phones is the absolute uncertainty about whether or not the phone I get will have the latest OS on it, and if it doesn't, theres never a clear indicator on whether or not it will get the latest, or when it will. Google needs to reign that in if they ever want to attract more of Apple's consumer base.

This is another weak argument.... By the time they say "hey the EVO is not going to get the latest Android update 3.7 (or what ever it is by then) the EVO will be old news and their will be 100 newer and better devices on the market. The original iPhone can't upgrade to the latest version iPhone software and not all iOS 4 features will work on the 3GS but most will...

Only if you have a Nexus One are you going to get the latest and greatest Android software right out the gate. Every one else is going to have to wait a month or 6 to get it....

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
The fee is basically helping them supporting the expansion for the 4G network. They have the cheapest plan with the 4G add on than Verizon and At&t when they just have 3G and you don't if they are gonna charge extra for their LTE 4G services and we know that Verizon's isn't gonna be unlimited.

SO EVERYONE QUIT YOUR B.ITCHING TO COMPLAIN JUST TO COMPLAIN!

As stated numerous times I have no problem paying extra for 4g. Just start charging for it when I can receive it in my home market. Until then only charge those who can use it everyday as it is not fair to charge two people for the same services while only one can use it and the other can't.

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
How about if your broadband provider was the one you bought your mintor from? and it was actually worth $440 but you only had $199 to pay? Then your broadband provider would subsidize the extra $240 over a 24 month period to make up the difference...

Hence the EVO 4g "tax"

Then Sprint should say that, and not provide some vague excuse about getting a "richer data experience" when that is not the motivation at all.

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
But if you travel to a market that has it then you have the option. It's the easiest and fastest way for them to help fund the 4G expansion.

VKitty

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
As stated numerous times I have no problem paying extra for 4g. Just start charging for it when I can receive it in my home market. Until then only charge those who can use it everyday as it is not fair to charge two people for the same services while only one can use it and the other can't.

THEY CAN'T!

They dont have enough MONEY!

They need this to get 4g off the ground.

cg1492

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
This is pointless since A. your going with a cheaper texting plan with Verizon.. Only 500 text per month instead of the 5,000 text plan. I get and send at least 500 text a month with my wife asking me to do stupid crap while I am out of town. Let along the useless text I get from my brother, sister and friends not included the work related text. B. your AT&T plan does not include the insurance.. Insurance shouldn't even be compared since not all of us opt for insurance..... Your AT&T plan is cheaper but your not comparing like plans..

Plus your not taking into account that with Sprint you get unlimited calls to any mobile phone no matter the network. if you can live on 450 minutes total between every call you make each month good for you. 80 - 90% of my calls are to other mobile phones so I could throttle back my minutes with Sprint over AT&T or Verizon. You could also add in navigation to the AT&T plan at $9.99 per month which is both free with Sprint and Android and is included. Not even one will use the navigation but at least for free at any time with Android and Sprint you can use it in a pinch....

AT&T's new plans will make it cheaper for easily 90% of their customers but the other 10% will make up the slack... Kind of like our tax code.. the top 10% pay 90% of the taxes..... The heavy users are the ones who will end up leaving AT&T..... your typical user wont....

Deleted.

Last edited:

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
THEY CAN'T!

They dont have enough MONEY!

They need this to get 4g off the ground.

Then they need to borrow the money, or not try so hard to be the first 4g service provider in the U.S. Charge me for the services I can receive. This isn't too much to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.