GTalk always running

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i did a search but could not find anything on this.

looking at the Settings---->Applications------->Running Applications - it always shows GTalk as a Running Application.

YES - I unchecked "Auto sign in".

YES - I click "Sign Out" to close GTalk.

i never use GTalk. BUT i don't want it running in the background sucking up my battery.

any thought on this? If i stop the App it restarts itself.

thanks.

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem but mine only starts during boot. Once I stop it the app stays closed. I wonder if one of the apps you are using is trying to access it which causes it to being running again (that is if you are having problems with it always coming back on)

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i have very few 3rd party apps and none that would affect GTalk.

i really do not want to install a Task Killer but i'm tempted to install one and select kill GTalk and Sprint Zone. not sure how much battery the use but they autostart. i stopped them again - we'll see if they restart. perhaps it was post re-boot.

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
You'll probably lose more battery with the task killer than gtalk that's not signed in working in the background.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i just discovered something -

you want to make sure you always sign out of GTalk and you want to not "Auto sign on" BUT you DO NOT want to stop GTalk running in the background. when i stopped GTalk from running in the background (via settings-->applications---running services) i discovered that i no longer had PUSH Gmail.

so best bet is just to leave it alone. if you STOP it - you will lose PUSH Gmail.

yanks4life

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Gekko could this be true about the PUSH Gmail? This has been driving me nuts with my Gmail not getting PUSH when i get it through the Gmail app and I have had to look at using K9 now which is good but it doesn't have threaded messages and I like the native GMail app better. My Push will be sparatic at best and I force stopped the GTalk in running services b/c like you I don't use it and didn't know why it was running in background. I am going to try what you said and see if my PUSH works better!

yanks4life

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Gekko, so far so good, so I just rebooted my phone and have Gtalk set to not automatically sign in and I didn't stop it from the running services and I sent myself a test email from computer and PUSH gmail got it instantly so we'll see I have had it work fine before right after I reboot phone, but as the day goes on is when the PUSH has stopped, but I have force stopped Gtalk in those instances, so we'll see, thanks man.

anon(20944)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes, the gtalk service is what GMail uses for push functionality. It is also what google voice uses to push you voicemail notifications.

Manually stopping services is a sure fire way to wreck your phone.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
i have very few 3rd party apps and none that would affect GTalk.

i really do not want to install a Task Killer but i'm tempted to install one and select kill GTalk and Sprint Zone. not sure how much battery the use but they autostart. i stopped them again - we'll see if they restart. perhaps it was post re-boot.

For Sprint zone, if you bring it up and go into settings you can change the update frequency to "only at startup". I'd think then if you just go in and stop the service it should no longer run unless you reboot.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Gekko, so far so good, so I just rebooted my phone and have Gtalk set to not automatically sign in and I didn't stop it from the running services and I sent myself a test email from computer and PUSH gmail got it instantly so we'll see I have had it work fine before right after I reboot phone, but as the day goes on is when the PUSH has stopped, but I have force stopped Gtalk in those instances, so we'll see, thanks man.

great. glad it's working so far for you!

FREE PUSH EMAIL IS A BEAUTIFUL THING!!!

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
For Sprint zone, if you bring it up and go into settings you can change the update frequency to "only at startup". I'd think then if you just go in and stop the service it should no longer run unless you reboot.

well i already went into Sprint Zone and unchecked all updates. also - for stocks and news services i did the same. i don't want these chewing up battery life so i removed all selections. so everything is cleared out.

if i want stocks or news information - i prefer to manually get up to the second info myself from the browser.

i think i'll just let this all go as is. i don't want to get too aggressive killing apps - you never know what the consequences are.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
well i already went into Sprint Zone and unchecked all updates. also - for stocks and news services i did the same. i don't want these chewing up battery life so i removed all selections. so everything is cleared out.

Did you also change the update frequency? After changing mine to only on startup I'm now noticing that I never see Sprint Zone running.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Did you also change the update frequency? After changing mine to only on startup I'm now noticing that I never see Sprint Zone running.

i set it to monthly thinking that it would only turn itself on monthly but i guess that it stays on and active and sleeps for a month in the background waiting and counting down for the friggin month to pass!

so based on your suggestion i went in and changed it to "only at start up". initially i was concerned about this setting because i thought the thing would want to fire up every time i pressed the on button. or after every power on. or any time i went to the Sprint Zone app (not that i would do the latter). BUT i tested all 3 scenarios and Sprint Zone does not appear anymore in "Running"! now part of the solution might be that i have everything in Sprint Zone unchecked too. i even hit "Refresh" in Sprint Zone App and it still did not appear in "Running"! So your suggestion appears to work! thanks!

but i'm wonder what does "Start up" mean if not - display on, power on, open app, refresh, etc.?????? maybe it only triggers if you have some specific updates in the App checked?

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
but i'm wonder what does "Start up" mean if not - display on, power on, open app, refresh, etc.?????? maybe it only triggers if you have some specific updates in the App checked?

When I first saw the setting I took it as from power on, but now that you have confirmed what I'm seeing, I'm thinking it means only when you start the app, which is good since I don't use it. So now in theory, I should never see it running.

markdek

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
The Google services on the phone use Gtalk for communication, so I"m told you can't and shouldn't delete it....although, you can sign out.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
When I first saw the setting I took it as from power on, but now that you have confirmed what I'm seeing, I'm thinking it means only when you start the app, which is good since I don't use it. So now in theory, I should never see it running.

but i tried starting the Sprint Zone App and seeing if that meant "Start up" and would cause it to show up in "Running" and it does not. BUT i wonder if that's because i have zero selections?

either way it's a good thing!

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
I actually started to use Gtalk and actually like that it runs
in the background. I really don't think it wastes that much
battery even if you are signed on.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes, the gtalk service is what GMail uses for push functionality. It is also what google voice uses to push you voicemail notifications.

Manually stopping services is a sure fire way to wreck your phone.

How can this be true when I have 5 gmail accounts? I have Gtalk logged in with just one of them but I'm getting push on all of my other accounts...

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
How can this be true when I have 5 gmail accounts? I have Gtalk logged in with just one of them but I'm getting push on all of my other accounts...

don't confuse GTalk running in the background with GTalk "logged in".

it appears that the background running is the open line of communication to Google servers that the EVO needs to keep the PUSH EMAIL going.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678