I am eligible for an upgrade on July 1. There are a few apps that I really need for work that I can't get on WebOS anytime soon and are available on Android OS. I am excited about getting the EVO and most certainly will. However, I do not know much about Android OS and love how WebOS multi-task. If I may, I would like to give a ordinary use scenario (like I used multiple times this week while out of town) and would appreciate an EVO user to let me know how the Android OS would function under the same scenario.

While out of town this week, I had meetings for 3 straight days. I had to navigate unknown cities, answer calls, text, and email. WebOS allowed me to do this in a seamless manner. I could drive to a city in my rental car using Sprint Nav, answer a call and toggle between the two in the notification area. Very slick. At the same time, I could respond to an email or text. WebOS allowed me to do this very easily. If I had the EVO and the same situation occurred would I be jumping in and out of menus? How well does Android OS integrate these apps? Please respond with how you would navigate the above example.

Wishing WebOS was stuck in the EVO.
    06-11-2010 10:49 PM
    Well I am on a rooted droid, but still android os 2.1 & 2.2 now,
    & on my last trip, I had my phone mounted to the dash w google nav goin, pandora playin thru the headphone jack into the deck/car speakers, and my gf's laptop wifi tethered for net & it worked smooth as butter. Pretty sweet too how it mutes the music for an incoming call to the bt headset. The only prob I noticed is that internet access cuts off during a call, so hopefully verizon will sort that out. AT&T is good for that, & I think sprint is too, but check to make sure... hope this helps.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    06-11-2010 10:58 PM
    The only prob I noticed is that internet access cuts off during a call, so hopefully verizon will sort that out. AT&T is good for that, & I think sprint is too, but check to make sure... hope this helps.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    You cannot use voice and data at the same time on a 3G CDMA network. That's the same for VZW and Sprint.
    06-11-2010 11:15 PM
    Wooooooow.... I had a PRE for a year and love the cards (cant lie)... i bought my wife and i EVO'S on june 4th and I AM IN HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY GOOOOOODNESS.... ur scenario will play out well with the Evo. Basically, the huge difference is u will not be able 2 swipe between cards... Instead, u will long press the home button in the bottom corner and the 6 most current apps will appear in a grid n the middle of the screen which will allow u 2 toggle between the apps. i use sprint nav for everything, while texting, etc. for multi-tasking u will have 2 grow accustom 2 long pressing the home icon instead of card toggling, but its an easy transistion. BUT HERE'S WHAT THE PRE DOESN'T DO THAT WILL MAKE UR SCENARIO A THOUSAND TIMES BETTER!!!!!! u gotta purchase a $10 app called "Vlingo", and a free app called "Handcent"... "Vlingo" is a speech 2 text app and "Handcent" has this pop up option that makes email/text quick and seamless... the PRE didn't have this at all. i rarely type my text. i just speak my emails/text, so imagine driving and sending text/email quickly without having to type! my goodness... also, if u download the free app "drivesafely" it will read u ur emails/texts to u! Palm PRE (even with Preware/homebrew) never had these options and Android makes text/email easy. oh yeah... PRE has Sprint Nav 2.3... but the EVO has Sprint Nav 2.8 where u can speak ur address/business requests and has movie options and landscape capabilities... u will love it ... i promise u!
    grizzlyaddams and wado1 like this.
    06-11-2010 11:28 PM
    Wooooooow.... I had a PRE for a year and love the cards (cant lie)... i bought my wife and i EVO'S on june 4th and I AM IN HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY GOOOOOODNESS.... ur scenario will play out well with the Evo. Basically, the huge difference is u will not be able 2 swipe between cards... Instead, u will long press the home button in the bottom corner and the 6 most current apps will appear in a grid n the middle of the screen which will allow u 2 toggle between the apps. i use sprint nav for everything, while texting, etc. for multi-tasking u will have 2 grow accustom 2 long pressing the home icon instead of card toggling, but its an easy transistion. BUT HERE'S WHAT THE PRE DOESN'T DO THAT WILL MAKE UR SCENARIO A THOUSAND TIMES BETTER!!!!!! u gotta purchase a $10 app called "Vlingo", and a free app called "Handcent"... "Vlingo" is a speech 2 text app and "Handcent" has this pop up option that makes email/text quick and seamless... the PRE didn't have this at all. i rarely type my text. i just speak my emails/text, so imagine driving and sending text/email quickly without having to type! my goodness... also, if u download the free app "drivesafely" it will read u ur emails/texts to u! Palm PRE (even with Preware/homebrew) never had these options and Android makes text/email easy. oh yeah... PRE has Sprint Nav 2.3... but the EVO has Sprint Nav 2.8 where u can speak ur address/business requests and has movie options and landscape capabilities... u will love it ... i promise u!
    Awesome. Exactly the type of response I was hoping for. Thanks for the info!!!
    06-12-2010 07:37 PM
    Wow, thats a lot of good info. Will have to check it out.
    06-12-2010 07:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD