How long does it Take to charge your battery?

amoricaorbust

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm just wondering what people's experience is with the charge time on their EVOs. Not only do I get extremely poor battery performance but the phone also takes forever to actually charge.

I disconnected my phone from the charger around 11:15 this morning with a full charge and with low use it was almost completely dead by 5:00pm.

Low use = 20 min of talk over 3 calls, 2 short simple reply emails and one email with a 300kb attachment.

Plugging it in (to the HTC charger) for a few hours before I went out to dinner at 7:15pm and the phone was only charged to 30% in 2:15 hours. I went out for a quick bite and while I was out I check my email a couple times took 2 pictures and uploaded them to facebook. When I got home at 9:00 the phone was at 4%.

Plugging it in again when I got home and leaving it untouched it only charged to 47% by 12:00 (3 hours).

Is anyone else experiencing this? Right now, I'm hoping I have a defective phone and this isn't something that is common.

Thanks

Last edited:

superm1

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Are you charging with the wall charger, or a USB port on a PC?

The wall charger pumps out much more current and charges the phone a lot quicker.

allsighs

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Same here. From computer it will be a while. At work with my wall charger it will go from 50% to full charge in only about 20 min...and that is while streaming Pandora and checking websites.

ctmiller118

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Funny you posted this because just tonight I made the comment to my wife I couldn't believe how fast my phone recharges! I plugged it in with about 25% battery life left and it recharged in about 2 hours.

Maybe I have a freak phone because I have had none of the other issues mentioned on this site and love the phone so far!!

Gmaxxx

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Same for me around 2 hours or so for a completely full charge. I've been letting the phone die out completely before even giving it a little juice.

amoricaorbust

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm using the HTC in the box EVO supplied wall charger. Although, I am using a 12' cable with it but the cable have never given me problems before with the Pre.

Speaking of Pre, plugging it into the Palm charger works great. I now to figure out how to squeeze more battery life out of the phone. I understand smart phones drains the battery faster blah blah blah... but this phone is almost unusable with the battery performance I'm getting.

palanilopez12

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm using the HTC in the box EVO supplied wall charger. Although, I am using a 12' cable with it but the cable have never given me problems before with the Pre.

Speaking of Pre, plugging it into the Palm charger works great. I now to figure out how to squeeze more battery life out of the phone. I understand smart phones drains the battery faster blah blah blah... but this phone is almost unusable with the battery performance I'm getting.

I am here with you on this one...i unplugged my phone today at around 7:15 in the morning and by 4 in the afternoon is was completely dead...i had aim runnin and was chatting on there and sent a few text messages...wifi/4g/bluetooth/gps all turned off...no calls...no web...no videos...i feel like i have to babysit the phone and i can't use it for the reasons that I bought it for...all the features are useless if your phone can't stay on long enough to even get through the day

clafountaine

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
mine charges slow too (with wall charger.) From dead to fully charged is about 3 hours or so :/ My blackberry would charge in about an hour from dead to full. My buddy as the Hero and he says his is slowish too, compared to his old BB. WeIrD!

ajac

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
Same for me around 2 hours or so for a completely full charge. I've been letting the phone die out completely before even giving it a little juice.

dont let it die out completely every-time you do that your damaging the cells inside its a lithium ion battery which means it has no memory effect. The best ways to keep them at optimum performance is to keep it charged aka when your at home and not going anywhere keep it plugged in or get a second battery keep one in the fridge or freezer cold keeps them from going through all the stress. Heat causes the cells inside to get damaged while cold keeps them from separating and expanding and cracking. So best way to keep a lithium battery at 100% or close to it as long as possible invest in a battery and a charger...

on back to topic 2 hours for me to full charge.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
2 hours and a little bit on wall charger if battery is down to 20 to 30 percent.

About the same.. from 15 - 20% to fully charged in around 2 hours.... Both from the Wall and from my laptop.... Last night I charged from 35% to full in about an hour from the wall charger...

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I guess I'm lucky with mine. I pulled my phone off the charger a few minutes past 12 today. I've been on facebook a bunch of times, twitter has notifications going on every 5 minutes, I've been watching videos on both TV.com app and the Mediafly app (both awesome apps btw HIGHLY recommend) as well as texting and about an hour worth of calling all while my wifi is on and right now I have exactly 50% of my battery. I never really noticed how long it takes to charge though. I'm definitely gonna keep an eye on that though. Anyone try a different battery?

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm using the HTC in the box EVO supplied wall charger. Although, I am using a 12' cable with it but the cable have never given me problems before with the Pre...
Cables can make a huge difference.

The cable I still use for my Pre was doing awful with the EVO. I tried the EVO Charger and EVO cable and it was amazingly fast. I also have a number of gold plated monoline.com USB cable in all sizes at $1.02-1.69 each. 1.5 ft will charge the fastest.

The general rules for any cable is that the shorter the better. Gold connectors truely only cost a few cents extra and are so worth it (except from monster when the cost $90).

Also the EVO really needs a charger with a full 1.0 A 5V output like the HTC charger.

Try it again with the HTC EVO cable and charger and tell us what you find.

I bet that will make the difference.

OneStepAhead

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I was just noticing this yesterday, so I googled this morning to see how long others EVO's were taking to charge. Mine takes around 4 hours!! The battery was ok for the first couple days, but now It only lasts from about 9am-4pm with 4g/3g/bluetooth off, WiFi still on. Haven't tried it with all of them disabled, but frankly I don't care how long it would last with all of them disabled because I would never have all of them disabled. I would return this phone right now If I hadn't already pre-ordered the White EVO. Hopefully these 2nd revision phones fix the problem.

edit: this is with the stock evo wall charger and cable

Last edited:

abbiejayc

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
There's an app that you should definitely get if you're battery drains really fast. Go to the app market and search Advanced Task Killer Free. It's a battery saver, for sure.

DylanMetlow

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Exactly what I was looking for! I been having a problem with my battery. About four days ago I was using it an charging, then it gave me a notification saying "insufficient battery use-age" then shut off! And ever since then my phone hasn't charged properly. I usually run Twitter an text. Barely any phone calls or video calls. An whenever I do talk on the phone its usually for an hour depending on the conversation. But when I let it charge I turn it off during the night so it could rest. So like I don't know what to do? I don't know if I have a defective battery, a defective charger or defective phone? I owned this phone for Seven Months already, i'm in no rush for a new phone. I love the EVO but the battery is Pissing Me off! Someone please help!!!!!!! :( Also mines before this problem usually took about 4hrs to charge an that was BRAND NEW!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki