No Push Email On Evo Except From Gmail? Huge Plus for Palm Pre!

maven1975

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Well, I have been enjoying quite a few things about my Evo, but this is one huge fail that may be a deal breaker for me.

I migrated from the Palm Pre that allowed me to set up ALL email accounts to receive email as they arrive. I have the unfortunate pleasure of having three busy email accounts that need to be pushed at all times. The Gmail work around is not working well. Having emails scattered over two servers and making more accounts than needed is annoying.

I never expected Android to be so primitive in this department.

Yahoo Push and Mobile Me Push needed.

anon28322

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I use Gmail for my home email. It pushes and receives just fine.

I then use HTC's Mail for my exchange. It pushes and receives just fine.

It may be messy to have two mail widgets going at the same time, but I actually prefer it. If I'm in a meeting, and I get an email, I can just turn on the screen without unlocking the phone. Based on the icon, I can check the work email right away, or check the home email later. Makes things easy for me, imo.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Go to WWW.androidcentral.com and search "gmail push". It teaches you how to use gmail servers as push servers for all your email sans EAS cause that has native push and yahoo cause they (yahoo) charge a fee for push.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering about my yahoo account. Why does it not have all my folders? This is big because I organize incoming email and I would like to be able to move mail around.

maven1975

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Go to WWW.androidcentral.com and search "gmail push". It teaches you how to use gmail servers as push servers for all your email sans EAS cause that has native push and yahoo cause they (yahoo) charge a fee for push.

I have been using this method for a few days with one account. However, having to keep track of oddball usernames and passwords for gmail is a PITA. Also, it completely stops syncing the mail to the original server (yahoo .me) and stores everything on gmails end. This is not an ideal situation for me and will confuse the pants off my assistants.

Thanks for the tip. In most cases you are right, this will indeed work.

maven1975

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I blame HTC and Google for making subpar email applications. If they want people to switch from iPhones, Pre's and BB's they need to get with this.

While the gmail app works good with gmai accounts, it is also limited and does not work well with folders and sent boxes.

I know none of you can fix this, but it blows me away that Android is still stuck behind the times with email applications. Having a choice is good, as long as the choices presented are viable options.

VKitty

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Well, the EVO has a nice big screen, and you can watch movies & play game, and surf the web. With the EVOs screen size surfing the web is nice.

Also, not alot of people have more than 1 email account. Most people out there are concerned about watching videos, (youtube is huge), making videos, playing games is also up there.

That is what most of the phone makers are looking at, its a business, so they look were they can make the most money. They figure let other phone makers worry about the small percentage of people that need more than 1 email.

maven1975

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
yahoo mail? it's not 1999 anymore.

Yes, I have been in business that long. Unfortunately, this is one address that if I were to terminate, I could potentially loose several returning customers.

No push in email client? That is long in the tooth as well.

maven1975

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Well, the EVO has a nice big screen, and you can watch movies & play game, and surf the web. With the EVOs screen size surfing the web is nice.

Also, not alot of people have more than 1 email account. Most people out there are concerned about watching videos, (youtube is huge), making videos, playing games is also up there.

That is what most of the phone makers are looking at, its a business, so they look were they can make the most money. They figure let other phone makers worry about the small percentage of people that need more than 1 email.

I agree there are several advantages to the EVO over any other device on the market. Looking at things from a business standpoint, I would think they would want to cater to those that got wrapped up in Apples Mobile Me and capitalize on those tired of ATT. That's several millions of Americans.

Just thinking out loud...

VKitty

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Looking at things from a business standpoint, I would think they would want to cater to those that got wrapped up in Apples Mobile Me and capitalize on those tired of ATT. That's several millions of Americans.

Ya, but that is very little compared to the people that want there phones for Videos, Web surfing, music, and games.

Besides they figured they would be able to take very few of those business people, so they dont bother with features they feel are not important.

fraz

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I wish I could have my AOL push instantly. Ive had that email address for 10+ yrs so its hard to change over to gmail. Any one have luck figuring out how to get AOL mail push as they come in?

VKitty

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
I wish I could have my AOL push instantly. Ive had that email address for 10+ yrs so its hard to change over to gmail. Any one have luck figuring out how to get AOL mail push as they come in?

Dont know about Android, but a friend of mine said they did this on there Palm Pre (Plus)

gksmithlcw

Software Engineer
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

Forward it to a Gmail account. Then, set the Gmail account to send from your AOL address. Voila, complete integration.

willsurg#AC

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I am coming from a Pre and must say I was very dissapointed by this as well. I think you might want to give k9 another try. I initially downloaded it and also did not like it, so I dumped it and then resigned myself to using the stock email with no push. that lasted a day and I could not take it anymore so I gave k9 another try. They have just updated it today and it has an integrated inbox, and has push!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy