Cell Standby and Phone Idle using a lot of battery

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
At least from looking at my battery use my Cell standby is 35% but the time without signal is at 0%. My phone idle sits at 29%.. Do these seem high? My Android system is only using 20%, and Display is at 6%. Also to add... My phone was fully charged at 100%, and after only 5h 10m its at a little over a quarter battery left with very little use. To me this seems horrible...

GPS off
4G off
Nothing synced except my gmail and weather sync every hour.
Auto Brightness

Last edited:

markdek

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
At least from looking at my battery use my Cell standby is 35% but the time without signal is at 0%. My phone idle sits at 29%.. Do these seem high? My Android system is only using 20%, and Display is at 6%. Also to add... My phone was fully charged at 100%, and after only 5h 10m its at a little over a quarter battery left with very little use. To me this seems horrible...

GPS off
4G off
Auto Brightness

Well, the Percentage of battery use displayed has to add up to 100%, so I'm not sure what you are asking. Something has to be using the battery, even when it's locked. If you have very little background data processes running, then it would be expected that "Cell Standby" would have the largest percentage of use. These are Percentages right?.........these percentage statistics say nothing about the life of the battery. I think you want to look at total time versus up time for and battery life issues. Then if you see a problem, then maybe look at some of the statistics. But by themselves and without more info, your stats can be interpreted as good or bad.

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
5 hours with little use and with a quarter battery left is terrible. i get 24 hours with light use give or take a few hours.

have you tried installing the app called Network to see if your preferred network is set to gsm instead of cdma auto?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
1. move your display brightness lower to the extreme left to where the lever is under the checkmark. yes this is a low setting but plenty bright for me. also TURN OFF auto brightness.

2. turn off WIFI.

3. turn off "always on mobile data".

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Nothing I did worked until I installed ATK and now I get over 15 hours down to 30%.

GPS off
4G off
Auto Brightness

markdek

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
5 hours with little use and with a quarter battery left is terrible. i get 24 hours with light use give or take a few hours.

have you tried installing the app called Network to see if your preferred network is set to gsm instead of cdma auto?

Yes and no...the max "use" time I could get out of my Evo was 6 hours (11 - 12 hours on time)....pretty constant use.

To get that 24 hour time, how much "use" or "up" time did you have, or do you get?

Gigity

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
1. move your display brightness lower to the extreme left to where the lever is under the checkmark. yes this is a low setting but plenty bright for me. also TURN OFF auto brightness.

2. turn off WIFI.

No offense, but a phone should not have to be babied in this way. When HTC states the standby time for this phone, do they have a disclaimer stating that you basically need to turn every antenna off to achieve it?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
No offense, but a phone should not have to be babied in this way. When HTC states the standby time for this phone, do they have a disclaimer stating that you basically need to turn every antenna off to achieve it?

babied? this is common sense. don't use power hungry features until/unless you needed them if you want max battery life. the laws of physics have not changed.

Gigity

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
babied? this is common sense. don't use power hungry features until/unless you needed them if you want max battery life. the laws of physics have not changed.

A properly made phone won't need wifi shut off in order to maintain long standby times. Or GPS. Ive used plenty of phones and have never had to baby them simply to maintain standby times like a lot of EVO users appear to have to. And from the sounds of it, Froyo will address many of these issues. So fortunately for EVO users Google is aware that their battery management needed much improvement.

cheebahawk1

May 28, 2010
Visit site
A properly made phone won't need wifi shut off in order to maintain long standby times. Or GPS. Ive used plenty of phones and have never had to baby them simply to maintain standby times like a lot of EVO users appear to have to. And from the sounds of it, Froyo will address many of these issues. So fortunately for EVO users Google is aware that their battery management needed much improvement.

Wut smartphone have u used/owned that didn't need those features turned off when not using to conserve battery life.

I have been using smartphones since Treo days, n never came across a device that u describe.

Gigity

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Wut smartphone have u used/owned that didn't need those features turned off when not using to conserve battery life.

I have been using smartphones since Treo days, n never came across a device that u describe.

With Wifi and GPS enabled, my 3GS will sit for days without hardly any battery drain. Add to that a push messaging app always running and sending notifications. The EVO is simply draining much too fast, and FROYO will address it, so its not like Google didn't understand where they needed improvements.

Carioca_FL

May 17, 2010
Visit site
You can't really compare the 3GS battery with the EVO, since to have the convenience of user-replaceable batteries (and the ability to carry extras, something the iPhone was never able), you need to tradeoff battery size.

We can't have our cake and eat it too.

As for the tip to lower the screen brightness to its lowest setting -how can you even use the phone outside? Personally, I just keep the brightness at around 60-75%, don't let social-networking apps (and other online apps) update on their own, and GPS off. I'm able to use my phone throughout the day, though having a car charger and an AC charger at work/home really helps.

I've ordered that (in)famous eBay set of 2 batteries and charger for $15, so I'm looking forward to reenable most of these settings.

MarqBland

Oct 13, 2009
www.facebook.com
Well when I first got this phone, I was worried about battery too. But after the first day, my worries left. I literally go all day and my battery will be at 50% at the end of the day. I don't use a task killer or anything. My gps stays on (but it isn't active unless being used). I am in the habit of turning wifi off when I'm not at home (just seems to make sense to do that). Other than that, I don't think I've done anything else for the battery. Heck, yesterday I watched at least half of the England vs Us game on sprint tv and my battery stayed full.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site

2. turn off WIFI.

I don't have Wi-Fi on, and I will not turn off the "always-on mobile data". Reason? When I did this for battery saving, it made my phone constantly reboot and crash. Once I flipped it back on, had no more crashing.

stolirocks

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
With Wifi and GPS enabled, my 3GS will sit for days without hardly any battery drain. Add to that a push messaging app always running and sending notifications. The EVO is simply draining much too fast, and FROYO will address it, so its not like Google didn't understand where they needed improvements.

3GS is not multitasking either. a 3GS is doing far less idle than the EVO is, or any other android phone for that matter.

stolirocks

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't have Wi-Fi on, and I will not turn off the "always-on mobile data". Reason? When I did this for battery saving, it made my phone constantly reboot and crash. Once I flipped it back on, had no more crashing.

if your phone did that when you turned that off then take it to be serviced. I gained a drastic improvement when turning off always on mobile data and my phone has never crashed. you might have other issues.

I went through the whole day yesterday with moderate use of my evo 7:30am-11:00pm and ended up with over 50% battery left. and no, i'm not using a phone killer either.