How fast is your 3G on EVO with Sprint

bogdaddyEVO

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Hey All,

I am test driving an EVO for 30 days and one of my main uses for this phone will be wifi hotspot (rooted) to link up my computers / other devices while on the road. So far I have not been that impressed with my 3G speeds with WifiTether. I am getting anywhere between .80 and 1.2mbs according to Speedtest.net app, and when I stream Netflix it def. pauses throughout.

Is this common for Sprint? I am in S. California (San Diego). I need to decide if I would be better off with the new Droid X from VZW, or forbid something from AT&T.

Any thoughts would help!. I am running flipz second update ROM, the updated PRL (I tried the Alltel / Verizon PRL but it was slower) and an updated radio.

Thanks

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm ... eastward, at South Carolina.
Very different place...

... You're going to have to check with locals I guess. However, I just wanted to say when I go to Columbia, SC (capital)... then I get awesome speeds. I tether at my university a lot (still doesn't have wifi everywhere), so it works out for me. Pages load at pretty decent speeds. It feels like I'm using a slightly slower DSL... It doesn't bother me at all.

You might be in a 4g area though. Check it out.

Edit: I'm tethering right now. My connection is slow as I'm in a small town in SC.
However, webpages like Yahoo load up in like 5 mississippi seconds.
Precentral loaded up in 9 seconds. Same with Android central.

This was a bad test... It thinks I live in Kansas... weird. Again, my 3g isn't that great in this small town. Good enough, but I'm usually on home wifi, heh.

Anyway, tethering with Sprint's connection = fast. I wouldn't worry too much unless you're expecting 1-3 second webpage loads.

Last edited:

bogdaddyEVO

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Hey Man,

Unfortunately no 4G in San Diego yet... My real hope was to be able to stream netflix without hiccups... I too am getting about a 1.0mbs like you. When I tested Verizon it was closer to 1.6-1.9.

Maybe they need some more time to deal with all the new Evo owners. I really love the phone so I am hoping I can keep it.

milk242

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I also live in San Diego and test driving the evo. Att 3G is only faster than sprint when you are using it late at night ( 3am). Sprints 3G speed is sustained throughout the day. I have no experience with verizon.

uh60james

May 16, 2010
Visit site
This is from Birmingham, AL. Not too bad for 3G IMO.

4922949.png

bogdaddyEVO

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Hey Milk,

I tested an Iphone 3GS unlocked using wifi tether and my laptop was getting almost 3mbps during the afternoon with ATT. My wife's Pre Plus gave 1.6 - 1.9mbps down, and the EVO is giving like .9-1.2 Mbps.

Maybe it was a fluke with the Iphone? I would expect VZW to be a bit stronger then sprint....

milk242

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
On my 3GS I was getting about .95 download and I did the test several times. It is probably due to the overcrowded AT&T towers in my area. On the evo, I was getting ~ 1.6 downloads during the afternoon and night on 2-3 bars of signal. At night the 3GS is a different story, it downloads at about 2.8.

When comparing uploads, I get significantly better speeds on the evo compared to the iPhone. Most likely a limit to AT&Ts 3G technology.

jpdaballa

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I was actually down in san diego last week for business ( i live in la) and I had to turn on tethering to use my ipad, i had 3g around 11 30 pm and i had gotten 1.4 mbps down and .61 mbps up.

From my experience, anywhere from 1.4 - 2.5 doesn't make a difference when loading pages, only when downloading files.

VKitty

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
I need to decide if I would be better off with the new Droid X from VZW, or forbid something from AT&T.

I am not familiar with the EVO at this time, but the others are a good choice.

Verizon offers the droid (good android choice) Or the Pre Plus with Free wifi tethering that works flawlessly.

AT&T also Offers the Pre Plus, no free wifi tethereing, and they have changed their data policy ($25 for only 2gb data)

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Hey Milk,

I tested an Iphone 3GS unlocked using wifi tether and my laptop was getting almost 3mbps during the afternoon with ATT. My wife's Pre Plus gave 1.6 - 1.9mbps down, and the EVO is giving like .9-1.2 Mbps.

Maybe it was a fluke with the Iphone? I would expect VZW to be a bit stronger then sprint....

That definitely depends on where you live. Where I am, middle of nowhere in Oregon, Sprint is better than vzw.

charliegrs

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Maybe Im wrong about this, but isnt streaming netflix on your laptop tethered to your phone asking a bit much? I mean streaming video is very bandwidth intensive. Its kinda surprising to me anyone thinks it would work well over a wireless 3G signal. I would never even attempt it. To me, tethering would be good for basic internet browsing, at the most I would go on youtube with it, since the phone can do that on its own im sure it works fine on a tethered laptop. I think many of you are overestimating the abilities of a 3G signal.

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
I stream Netflix just fine and in HD with 4G using Wireless Tether. A friend does it with 3G and it's lower quality but it works.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand what the deal is...

For a 3G network,1.2-1.5 is a great range of speed. I am always getting around that area with Sprint anywhere I go. With my friends Verizon Droid, he is always getting 700kbps. I almost always double his speeds on sprint.

Moral of the story is that 1.2mbps is not slow for 3g.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz