Going from 8gb to 16gb and I have questions

jazbojenkins

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,

I searched and searched and could not find the answer to my question. I recently purchased a 16gb micro sd card so i can hold more music and such on my evo (which I think is the best electronic device I gave ever owned) and I have a question on how to do this upgrade. this is what I have done so far. I made a new folder on my pc and called it htc evo, and i copied all the folders from the evo to it. Now, can I power down the evo, pull the battery, take out the 8gb card, install the new (unformatted, out of the box) 16gb card, reinstall the battery, power up the evo, connect to my pc and paste the files to the new card? I am sorry if this is a dumb question but I want to be able to do this right. I am running unrevoked and I have the wireless tethering app installed. TIA Jason

tekmunki

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I formatted an SD card (in Win64, full, not quick), then just copied the 8GB file structure over to the 16GB card- rebooted and it worked like a charm; virtually no change- and recognizes the full 16GB.

jazbojenkins

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
update: The transfer seemed to go fine, although I cannot use the tethering app. I am going to try to uninstall and reinstall unrevoked. I'll keep you posted.

Civ2boss

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I would format using this SD Formatter rather than through the OS or the phone:
SD Formatter 2.0 for SD/SDHC - SD Association

Someone clued me in that this formatter gives your SD cards maximum performance and I agree. There was always a lag when I read files from the card prior to using it, but not after. This doesn't have anything to do with the EVO in particular or anything, it's just good practice for any new SD cards.

qst4

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Do you really need to format the card. On my N1 I just popped in the 16GBs and went from there without formatting. At least I don't think formatted.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The card should already come formatted in Fat32. I got the 16GB for my Inc and was able to just transfer all the stuff from the stock 2GB to the new one and pop it in, no issues.

tekmunki

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I would format using this SD Formatter rather than through the OS or the phone:
SD Formatter 2.0 for SD/SDHC - SD Association

Someone clued me in that this formatter gives your SD cards maximum performance and I agree. There was always a lag when I read files from the card prior to using it, but not after. This doesn't have anything to do with the EVO in particular or anything, it's just good practice for any new SD cards.

Confirmed:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...-sd-card-scored-higher-than-class-10-a-2.html

rfs830

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
when you restart you phone you will need to rerun the root program as the phones root is not permanent right now so restarted wiped it. Just re run root and tether will work again.

TheOneAfter909#AC

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Off topic, but I want to know why the new 32gb cards are over $200 and you can get a 16gb card for $35 on Amazon? I could understand if the 32gb were like $100, but $200?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674