06-17-2010 11:19 AM
49 12
tools
    Reading the comments on Giz and Engadget is like extracting my brain out with a spoon. It's terrible how these people jump down other people's throats over the tiniest thing.

Either way, I don't mind if this gets out. Maybe HTC will act faster the more this is known.
    06-14-2010 06:45 PM
    I know many iPhones have WiFi radio issues. Which is totally a shame. No one writes or talks about them.
    Never heard of that, and I'm on my second iPhone.
    06-14-2010 06:55 PM
    I've got hardware version 003 and have the same problem described.
    06-14-2010 06:58 PM
    One thing I forgot to mention above, is that I clean my screen with iKlear, which supposedly has anti-static capabilities. I have absolutely no idea if that helps or not.
    06-14-2010 07:00 PM
    One thing I forgot to mention above, is that I clean my screen with iKlear, which supposedly has anti-static capabilities. I have absolutely no idea if that helps or not.
    You should do some testing. Wait a little while and don't use the anti-static spray. Try it on different surfaces, etc. Also, try it with a non android device, Like an Ipod Touch of Iphone. See if you can duplicate it.
    06-14-2010 07:13 PM
    Reading another thread on the issue, it may possibly be related to the hardware version of the phone?

I am having the issue and I have hardware version 2. You can check this by going to Settings>About Phone>Hardware Information. Seems like those reporting the issue have version 2 vs version 3.
    What I meant was that I don't think that it's a "defect" per se, but some people will some won't. I'd imagine those that don't have the phone will call it a defect because it can be easily made to look that way when those with the phone know it's easy to get around it.

I look at it as an environmental issue like phones that can't be used in bright sunlight, only this issue is much easier to get around. It's not a defect, it's just a limitation of the technology.
    06-14-2010 07:18 PM
    There's nothing to fix. Until I see a report that tells me the exact temperature, conductivity of the surface in question (along with reading from an ohm meter between the surface and service entry ground point), the load on the battery and the exact RH, this is working as intended.
    06-14-2010 07:21 PM
    There's nothing to fix. Until I see a report that tells me the exact temperature, conductivity of the surface in question (along with reading from an ohm meter between the surface and service entry ground point), the load on the battery and the exact RH, this is working as intended.
    Hang tight
    06-14-2010 07:28 PM
    I only have one thing to say "meh", I love my EVO. Maybe a little too much LOL.
    I have "hardware 002" ... what's the difference?!

002: has nifty grey sparkly battery cover, and backlight fades out nicely. 30 frames-per-second
    003: plain black cover, and I guess the backlight doesn't fade out. 28 fps.

hahaha, 003 got the shaft.
    Hang tight
    lol. Go Cory!
    06-14-2010 07:30 PM
    Here is an interesting video on the grounding issue with the screen that I saw on youtube.

YouTube - MrEvo001's Channel
    06-15-2010 12:50 PM
    I've been reading engadget for years, for awhile there I liked them better than Gizmodo.

But publishing a few bad stories about Android & EVO the day before the iPhone Pre-order just begs the fact that they could have waited to post those stories until the day before to get anyone on the fence to go iphone route.

I cant take any editor seriously that doesn't list the devices downfalls and its positives, but all I hear on engadget is Apple fanboyism.

Thank god Giz has toned it down.

Edit:

Heres some bad AT&T / Apple Press

http://gizmodo.com/5564262/apple-iph...te-information
    06-15-2010 03:48 PM
    I have no problem bringing down the notifications with the Evo sitting on my desk, and m3 touching nothing but the screen. Ditto with it sitting on my desk chair.

edit: I just tried it again with the phone sitting on a pad of paper. Works perfectly. I don't know what these people are smoking.

Both of the units in that so-called "test" had screen protectors on. Perhaps those are reducing sensitivity of the touch screen. If so, you'd have to blame the screen protectors, not the phone.

This is just another example of engadget crapping on anything that isn't from Apple. Which begs the question: have the done the exact same test on a Apple, with the same screen protector? If they did, they're not sharing the results. If they didn't, why not?

No one should take anything from engadget seriously if it involves either an Apple device, or something that competes with an Apple device.
    06-15-2010 04:50 PM
    I have no problem bringing down the notifications with the Evo sitting on my desk, and m3 touching nothing but the screen. Ditto with it sitting on my desk chair.

edit: I just tried it again with the phone sitting on a pad of paper. Works perfectly. I don't know what these people are smoking.

Both of the units in that so-called "test" had screen protectors on. Perhaps those are reducing sensitivity of the touch screen. If so, you'd have to blame the screen protectors, not the phone.

This is just another example of engadget crapping on anything that isn't from Apple. Which begs the question: have the done the exact same test on a Apple, with the same screen protector? If they did, they're not sharing the results. If they didn't, why not?

No one should take anything from engadget seriously if it involves either an Apple device, or something that competes with an Apple device.
    I had the invisible shield on the phone with the touchscreen problem. I also thought it might have been the shield so I took it off. Sensitivity got better but I am still having the issue with the top part of the screen if I place it on something that is completely non-conductive like my bed. It works fine even on my granite countertop but when I googled granite, found out granite does conduct electricity.

I think the admin of this forum posted a video of his evo on his bed and it works fine which leads me to think that there is a batch of these phones out there (like mine) that are having issues with the touchscreen.

I don't buy into the whole conspiracy theory about an apple bias. The video that Engadget posted in that article was actually posted on this forum the night before that article was posted.
    06-15-2010 05:14 PM
    I've been reading engadget for years, for awhile there I liked them better than Gizmodo.

But publishing a few bad stories about Android & EVO the day before the iPhone Pre-order just begs the fact that they could have waited to post those stories until the day before to get anyone on the fence to go iphone route.

I cant take any editor seriously that doesn't list the devices downfalls and its positives, but all I hear on engadget is Apple fanboyism.

Thank god Giz has toned it down.

Edit:

Heres some bad AT&T / Apple Press

iPhone 4 Order Security Breach Exposes Private Information
    It's all in your head. I think people tend to look for bias rather than actually finding it. I've read engadget for a while and I don't see any real Apple bias, nor do I have a problem with them posting negative bits about the Evo. It's news. Should they really have waited until after the iPhone pre-order? How in the world is that any better? When it's news, you report it - you don't wait. Engadget has certainly reported negative news about the iPhone before.
    06-15-2010 05:19 PM
    I've got hardware version 003 and have the same problem described.
    Ditto.

And FYI. Engadget and all other tech blogs are retarded. People need to stop reading that opinionated, unedited, often fact-less, dribble. Get a WSJ subscription or something.
    06-15-2010 06:39 PM
    Plug it into the charger! I know this sucks when you're sitting down at a table or something but for in the car use as a gps, etc, plugging it into the charger fixes it right away!

Tested it out about 20x, 10x with charger, 10x without. Charger fixes it!

Feel free to thank me if this helps you
    06-15-2010 06:45 PM
    It's all in your head. I think people tend to look for bias rather than actually finding it. I've read engadget for a while and I don't see any real Apple bias, nor do I have a problem with them posting negative bits about the Evo. It's news. Should they really have waited until after the iPhone pre-order? How in the world is that any better? When it's news, you report it - you don't wait. Engadget has certainly reported negative news about the iPhone before.

That buzz they reported today has been going around for weeks, why just now report it ?

Not to mention, they had over 7 Apple related posts the day of their WWDC keynote. Half of them were totally useless and not news.

Atleast TechCrunch is honest about their apple bias.
    06-15-2010 07:19 PM
    Ditto.

And FYI. Engadget and all other tech blogs are retarded. People need to stop reading that opinionated, unedited, often fact-less, dribble. Get a WSJ subscription or something.

Because Mossberg's tech column is less opinionated?

I'm not flaming or trolling... it's just funny. The world of gadgets is 40% opinion, 10% specs, and 50% perceived image. Evidence: The vitriol with which people post when you attack their gadget.
    06-15-2010 07:39 PM
    So let me first begin by stating that I'm an Android Noob and I'm still loving the Evo fourteen days after launch. Anyhow, like many of you, I too, have been having issues with "swype down" gestures when my phone is grounded ( My Evo is a 0002). But I just noticed that when I have my phone plugged into an outlet and grounded on a desk, I have no issues with swyping down. I was wondering if anyone else who is having these issues can test whether this is true for their phones as well.
    06-17-2010 09:04 AM
    Well yes that makes sense because your phone is then grounded by the power cable.
    06-17-2010 09:36 AM
    having it plugged in, grounds it like Roger said
    06-17-2010 09:54 AM
    Threads merged, and title changed.
    06-17-2010 11:19 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD