????Did you Change from the Palm Pre????

Floridadomer

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I thought it would be interesting to see how many of us 'Newbies" are coming from the Palm Pre.
The OS was wonderful, just so slow and there seemed to be a lot of handwriting on the wall as far as the future of the phone.

So chime in and tell us that you left your Palm and why?

Last edited:

wormdood

Apr 20, 2010
blog.mattkurio.com
I kept my Pre on another line, but got an EVO for the slate form factor, speed, and screen size. Android has also come a long way in the last year. When I got my Pre, Android did not meet all of my new device criteria...that has changed since 2.0

morellox

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
yup, LOVE LOVE LOVE webOS, overall the OS is better than Android in the way it 'works' but the hardware was just not cutting it, the ergonomics of the phone were a little better just due to size, but I can deal with that since the EVO is a flippin Tablet and just so nice to look at. I'm finding more useful apps for Android of course. I'm not a fan of how Android 'closes' or switches between apps, this was one of my favorite features on webOS, and the messaging app on webOS was outstanding but using Handcent has almost made up for that. I liked also how I could simply patch little changes into my phone with Preware and the webOS dev community... I'm reading all about rooting this thing and it sounds way more involved and what's the benefit for me? hotspot? meh I can tether for free, that's all I really need and I'll hardly even use that so what's the point.

overall, miss a lot about the OS, getting used to Android, don't miss the occasional lag and issues with the phone hardware

morellox

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
oh, I also kept my pre, everything works but voice and text, on WiFi it still runs great at my apt and even in my garage outside of my apt so I use it for a music player and facebook/email notifier around the apt!

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I left my Pre simply because I'm a serial phone shopper. Loved my Pre; however, I passed it on to my son, and I picked it up this morning and it felt bizarrely small. I've quickly become very used to the freakishly large screen of the EVO. :)

azkevman

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
WebOS to Android newbie here too. It's too bad Palm hasn't had the resources to crank out new hardware on the same pace as the rest of the competition. If they want to compete with the like of iOS and Android, then they have to be able to match them in hardware. The OS can only take them so far, and then the limitations of the hardware begins to hold them back.
This is why I personally am now an android user and no longer a WebOS user. Having said that, if Palm can deliver on a next gen killer device I may be back...but I don't expect that to be any time soon.

PedroTheGoat

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I came from the Pre also. Man, what an upgrade. WebOS was so restricting, it's nice to use an OS that lets me do whatever I desire with it. The EVO is just so darned zippy compared to the Pre, this thing never slows down.

And don't even get me started on the hardware, my battery lasts twice as long and my phone isn't falling apart anymore.

I'm finally a happy camper with my phone.... no complaints.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad