Anyone using their Evo to tether to pc?

kkwus74

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Anyone using their Evo to tether to pc via USB?

Just wanted to check if anyone is using their Evo to tether to PC using a USB cable and not the Hotspot?....What speeds are you guys getting?

Last edited:

forumsid987

Banned
Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
May want to change your title (if possible) to via USB because I think most people are just doing it over wifi. I know it's not what you asked, but over wifi and 3G:

1.3 Down, .3-1 Up

4G: 4 Down, .9 Down

All in Mbits

kkwus74

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
May want to change your title (if possible) to via USB because I think most people are just doing it over wifi. I know it's not what you asked, but over wifi and 3G:

1.3 Down, .3-1 Up

4G: 4 Down, .9 Down

All in Mbits

Done:).......i honestly thought this feature was only gonna be included in Froyo but anyway mine is not as fast lol

kkwus74

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Damn I only get around .6mbps

0.6?....ii prob live in an area that doesnt have the best 3G coverage let alone 4G......i dont have the hotspot feature so i had to enable the internet sharing feature(share phone's mobile network with PC) to be able to tether.:(

kcpowercat

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have heard that this is free for a month and I have heard otherwise...Does anyone know the real answer?

I believe last I heard is one device tethering is free, the wifi router is $30....I mean the usb tethering is even explained in the owners manual with no mention of extra charge.

Bang321

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I get around about 1.2mbps down and .4 up. The funny thing is that my phone was roaming on Verizon once and I was getting 1.9mbps. Haha.

kkwus74

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
i find this weird.....why are so many people on another forum having so many problems tethering via USB (it seems they get error 67 or something like that.)and everyone seems to be able to connect here?......confused.......

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I got about 1.6 Mbps down and .9 Mbps up on 4G. If I run the test directly from the phones browser, I get 5-8 Mbs down and 1.6 Mbps up depending on the time of day.

I assume there's some overhead from the USB tethering, but that seems like a lot. Perhaps it's throttled to keep people from using it as permanent internet. Although for casual users, 1.5 down is plenty fast.

kkwus74

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I got about 1.6 Mbps down and .9 Mbps up on 4G. If I run the test directly from the phones browser, I get 5-8 Mbs down and 1.6 Mbps up depending on the time of day.

I assume there's some overhead from the USB tethering, but that seems like a lot. Perhaps it's throttled to keep people from using it as permanent internet. Although for casual users, 1.5 down is plenty fast.

Is anyone using USB tethering only in a 3G area?

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Can I activate hotspot with no extra charge?

No and Yes.

No, you cannot activate Sprint's hotspot feature without incurring a charge or having the service subscribed to.

Yes, you can have a hotspot for free but this requires some research and will probably cost you about 15 minutes of research.

biggamer3

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
No and Yes.

No, you cannot activate Sprint's hotspot feature without incurring a charge or having the service subscribed to.

Yes, you can have a hotspot for free but this requires some research and will probably cost you about 15 minutes of research.

I am a noob. I already rooted my phone after following the idiot guide on XDA.

Do i just install Fresh and i am good to go now?

osirusrising

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I am using the PDA Tethering app found in the market. IT's awesome. I am able to w/ the current version Tether and attain 2.4 mb dwn and 1.6mb up in Dallas, TX. I have done immense amounts of research on this and found some things interesting for those who havent' found this already.

I will note them below :

1st option : Tether using PDAnet App in market - Great USB tethering, supports Calls and SMS sending from the desktop and such. Works like a charm

2nd Option : USB tethering using the cable and Sprint : Just as good, however you need to add the tethering plan or option to your plan, if you do not, you will get Error Code 67 : unable to authenticate or validate your account for Sprint PCS Vision. Please Try again :
*as quoted from the Sprint Rep : Sir , in order to use that function we will have to activate the tethering via USB option to your account , which was some type of charge per month. I was like Sorry, no thanks."

3rd Option: Enable Sprint Hotspot for the phone where the phone acts like a 54g Wireless Router and assigns devices IP's from it's own DHCP. Good and works if you like that type of function. However this also requires the 29.99 per charge activation to use as a wifi hotspot from sprint, or else you get the same error 67 code as mentioned above. .

In conclusion, i would if you are looking for free, look at the PDAnet software app. It's free and works awesome.
Just my .02 cents.
Thansk.

Osirus.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
2nd Option : USB tethering using the cable and Sprint : Just as good, however you need to add the tethering plan or option to your plan, if you do not, you will get Error Code 67 : unable to authenticate or validate your account for Sprint PCS Vision. Please Try again :
*as quoted from the Sprint Rep : Sir , in order to use that function we will have to activate the tethering via USB option to your account , which was some type of charge per month. I was like Sorry, no thanks."

I was able to use USB tethering no problem without contacting Sprint. All I had to do was install HTC Sync. I plugged up the phone to the PC, enabled the share option, and the PC automatically created a network connection and off I went.

Perhaps they'll change something in the future, but right now it works fine for free without any outside changes.

azrickster

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
From what I have read around the various forumns Tethering is free only when connected to 4G, otherwise it is not. I cannot verify this however since I only have 3G, but for me I get the error 67 for userid/password.

pdanet and easytether work, but you will eventually have to pay for the apps to get https as that will stop working after a trial period.

The other option is to root.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12