Connecting WiFi

jnadelman

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
MY wife and I both have the Evo. Mine connected to our house WiFi just fine. Hers does not seem to want to. I turned on the WiFi, got a full signal. I entered the security code and then it tries to obtain an IP address. It times out after a minute or so, and then tries again, and again, and again.

I know her WiFi is on and she the network since it appears and shows an "excellent" signal. Is there another setting that I forgot about? I set mine up last week when we got the phones, and I first tried hers yesterday.

Other than bringing it back to the store, I don't know what else to do.

jthapar

May 18, 2010
Visit site
1. Be absolutely sure you are using the right password...(I know its basic but it happens sometimes especially with those crazy complex passwords some are required to have.)
2. Maybe even try "forgetting" wifi settings on your phone and re-adding your wifi access to your phone to verify you have the right password and settings.
3. Restart your router. Sometimes routers lock out after too many unsuccessful attempts to access it.

Good luck.

jnadelman

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
thanks. I did the forget several times and then had to retype that password (big pain typing that in with numbers and letters). When I had it wrong, it told me.
I will try the reset tonight when I am home.

But are there actual wifi setting I need to get right? I can't find anything other than turning it on and then entering the password for the network it finds.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Haha, there was a thread like this a few days ago. Also, I had the same problem.

SCROLL DOWN!
Since the keyboard pops up, it's hard to see, but you can scroll down in that wifi settings menu.
Tell me if you need more help.

jnadelman

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Haha, there was a thread like this a few days ago. Also, I had the same problem.

SCROLL DOWN!
Since the keyboard pops up, it's hard to see, but you can scroll down in that wifi settings menu.
Tell me if you need more help.

yes, I need more help.
So the scroll down with the keyboard is which screen? The one where I am entering the password?
ok, so then I see wifi settings, but what setting do I need?

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Just thinking out loud. Have you tried hers with your Evo NOT on the network? Maybe your router is set to only allow one connection? You can change that. Did you lock down your router to a specific MAC address? I doubt it since you would have to have done that for the first one but maybe it auto assigned?

Is her encryption type and security type set correctly?
I hope you lock down your wireless, it is STUPID not to. i:Di

Just a few thoughts..

Last edited:

gapoochi

May 17, 2010
Visit site
i get the same thing. My hero and hubby's hero can connect to the wifi in my house with no problems. My Evo, every time I try to connect, it tries to obtain IP address and the says unsuccessful.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Sorry still on mobile so can't give a great answer.

What are the settings for your WiFi? If you know your network name and pass, then go ahead and add network.

Actually, your situation seems a little different. Toggle some different settings and see what you can do.

jnadelman

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm not following what everyone is saying, but then I also think you might not be following me.

The network in the house is fine. It is configured correctly, we have over time gotten numerous laptops connected to it and I was easily able to get my Evo connected to it. When I tried to connect her Evo, nothing else was connected to it at the time.

I think there is just either
1 - some setting on her evo that I forget to set (or didn't set properly)
2 - there is an issue with her phone.

Someone said that I need to "scroll down" to get to some settings that are blocked by the keyboard. But I still don't know
1 - What screen is it that I am scrolling down
2 - what settings do I need to change and to what values.

I'm sure if that is the issue I did it on my Evo, but right now I am having a brain fart!

jnadelman

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I did some checking online and don't see anything else about any settings. So I am still not sure what the PP meant by scrolling down.
I am going to restart my network and see if that helps reset things.
But if there are any other settings on the phone that I might be forgetting about, please, please, please, could someone let me know. TIA

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Scroll down when you see the settings for your wifi network. So when you are typing your password for the network scroll down on that application box. See if there are any settings below that you could change that to make your WiFi work.

remidog870

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm also having this issue. My wifes hero, netbook, sons laptop, daughters wee all connect with no issues, but my evo fails to connect every time. Now the weird thing is my evo connects to my WiFi at work with no issues at all. I really would like to know how to troubleshoot the problem but I have no idea.

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
always check to make sure you don't have MAC filtering enabled on your router (I *ALWAYS* forget I have that enabled).

msw323

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried connecting it to a different network, other than the one in your house?

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk Pro

RickSparks

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I had exactly the same problem and tried two things at once... and one of them worked (not the best troubleshooting technique).... but one of these may work for you.
1) Turn off the router and restart it after a few minutes
2) Turn on General Sync settings / Background data on the phone (I had it off)

Worked for me !

TXSpazz

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem pop up yesterday. I have a main router and a secondary linked to the primary and couldn't connect to either (hadn't had this issue with this EVO in the past). Resetting the main router allowed me to connect. I am curious though if my wife had her EVO connected yesterday when this problem started. Maybe it doesn't like two EVOs connected at the same time? I'll have to check it out sometime when I have both in hand.