I love my Evo but oh my God does Sprint Navigation suck.

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I am using Sprint Navigation on a Samsung Instinct, and I find it pretty nice. I work for UPS so I am using my navigation a lot to help me find addresses for pickups, and with one odd exception it has always led me to the right place.

DisplacedMic

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
thanks to everyone who posted. Sorry for my rant - i just had 2 frustrating days in a row with it.

I know it is a cell phone so it is unlikely to standup to a dedicated GPS unit like a garmin - i stated that up front. However for it not to find ANY gas stations near me, not to be able to find an enormous and well-estasblised hospital such as DUMC renders is quite useless for me. If it can't find a gas-station in my neighbourhood or even town where i know there are tonnes - what about when i am using it to travel somewhere entirely new? can't trust it.

I have been playing w/ the google ap and while it may not look, and it certainly doesn't sound, as nice i have found it to be superior.

I do however have to take issue w/ several people who made comments about Sprint Nav being "free"

It is hardly free. We are paying a minimum of around $60-$70 a month to Sprint. this is one of the services that comes w/ that sprint package. It is not free anymore than voicemail is.

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I dont know in my city. Sprint Navigation is the best for me. When I use Google Navigation it doesnt always take me to the right place, then I have to turn on Sprint Nav to get me to the right place. To each his own but Sprint nav has NOT definitely failed me YET. lol.

Last edited:

Eazy123

Jun 14, 2010
www.grafxone.com
I do however have to take issue w/ several people who made comments about Sprint Nav being "free"

It is hardly free. We are paying a minimum of around $60-$70 a month to Sprint. this is one of the services that comes w/ that sprint package. It is not free anymore than voicemail is.

Ok, then put it this way - it's cheap as sh*t when you compare the fact that you have to pay extra for navigation on other carriers (I believe)...yes, you're paying for it on Sprint, but it may as well be free, as cheap as their rates are.

wado1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Sprint Nav has been great for me. Used it on the Pre all the time. Used Google Nav on the Evo this week. They both work great for me.

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
It works great for me. In fact, I just looked up Duke University Hospital on it and it found it no problem. Tried using the call in search and also just typing it in. And I don't even live in North Carolina.

At least we have options. I've used the Google one as well but it wants to take odd routes and doesn't always get the address right. It might be a couple blocks off at times.

I also have a Garmin which I use for trips because I can set up routes and it just seems to work. It keeps nagging me for map updates which I'm putting off. At least with Sprint and Google, you don't have that problem.

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
My #1 gripe about Sprint Nav is how they clearly let an idiot pick the color scheme and put it out without usability testing, thus leading to the distance to next turn and ETA info to be presented in white text on a yellow background. I get that Sprint's colors are black, white and yellow, but they couldn't use the black on yellow? It's unsafe as it is!

They just updated the software. It's no longer white on yellow. It's now white on blue. Much easier to read.

aditya

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Coming from a Pre, I can tell you that navigation on the EVO is awesome because:

a: It actually works i.e. you can get a GPS signal lock reliably, unlike both my previous Pre's which often required me to reboot the phone or toggle GPS or go into ##GPS# to get it to work
and
b: I don't have to worry about turning the GPS radio on/off for power savings since on the EVO there is negligible battery drain from leaving the GPS setting on (unlike the Pre where it would drain like crazy with GPS set to permanently on)
and
c: If you haven't tried it, Google Navigation is awesome with the ability to quickly input an address via voice-command when you are on the go.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i love my built in factory OEM Lexus Navigation. nothing beats it. i use it all the time and prefer it over anything else. BUT it's really nice to have the Sprint AND Goggle Navigation on the phone when i'm not in my car and i need it in a pinch. like at 3am when i've had a few too many cocktails and i'm in a cab and the cab driver has no idea where he's going and neither do i. like last Thursday night. it saved my ass. true story!

R1_Rydah

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
I use GN & SN daily at work... but rely on SN more because it does intersections & GN doesn't... I've been using it for a couple of years without any problems

MDteX

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I use my in dash Navi when local but when we fly out of town and get a rental I use the Sprint Navigation. So far it has worked fine for me.

Delta1#AC

May 14, 2010
Visit site
The Sprint website shows something called Sprint Navigation v2.8 Prem. on the phone compatibility list. Does anyone know what that is and if it is available on the Evo? Also, I hope it is not an extra fee version like Sprint TV Extra.

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Sprint Navigation has always worked fine for me. On my Pre though, sometimes I wouldn't get a GPS lock. Hope the Evo doesn't have this issue.

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Sprint Navigation is awesome. What's wrong with you? Be thankful that you even get that for free and aren't charged per use like VZW, etc. Also, you have Google Navigation if you don't like Sprint's. Two amazing services, for free!

I guess some people just can't be satisfied...

Eguy

Lloyd Lover
Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
i love my built in factory OEM Lexus Navigation. nothing beats it. i use it all the time and prefer it over anything else. BUT it's really nice to have the Sprint AND Goggle Navigation on the phone when i'm not in my car and i need it in a pinch. like at 3am when i've had a few too many cocktails and i'm in a cab and the cab driver has no idea where he's going and neither do i. like last Thursday night. it saved my ass. true story!

Come on Gordon! The Lexus satnav is worse than a $9.99 Chinese GPS unit! Mercedes has got it down these days.

Blubble#AC

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have tried them both extensively and I actually prefer Sprint Nav. It's actually made by TeleNav which is the most experienced company for mobile phone nav. On ther carriers(Verizon, etc) and platforms(iPhone) you have to pay for the same thing, while Sprint includes it as part of the everything plans. TeleNav is a more mature, well developed software although Google did well for their first attempt.

The voice on Sprint Nav is quite pleasant, whereas the one on Google Nav is very annoying.

Sprint Nav has better searching and browsing options. You can narrow your filter your searches by category and various other criteria including searching along your route and near other locations.

Google is starting to catch up to some of these features, but TeleNav still does it better.

The only advantage on Google is the availability of street view. If anything, that is an unnecessary distraction. I prefer a clean 3D graphic over some crappy, overexposed and outdated image from street view.

I haven't had technical problems with either one after many hours of use. I'm glad to have both options, but I'll stick to Sprint Nav.

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I am going to take back what I said earlier about Sprint navigation. On the evo it takes forever to open claiming its "logging in" which it never did on my instinct. If it takes this long to open I am going to have to use Google maps because in my Job I don't have 2 minutes to waste waiting on a program to open.