06-18-2010 01:20 AM
41 12
tools
    Totally understand wanting to return it after your troubles, but I really suggest trying the hard reset for your battery, I know it doesn't make sense but I had the same exact problem with my phone.

I charged it up one evening and left it off the charger overnight (as a test) and when I woke it had approximately 15% battery left. I continued to deal with it for a week or so and finally broke down and did a hard reset yesterday. I charged it up yesterday evening, left it unplugged overnight, with WiFi on and only one bar of service on my nightstand and when I woke it still had 92% battery. In short, do the reset, you might be surprised!
    06-17-2010 09:46 AM
    Too bad you feel this way. Personally....and this goes for my wife as well, this phone is the shiznittlebambipbapsnap!
    06-17-2010 09:50 AM
    I hard-reset 5 days after purchasing and it helped my battery life immensely. I also did NOT re-install any task killer and my battery life improved. Something to consider and by no means do not want to hijack this thread with the task killer debate.
    06-17-2010 09:55 AM

1.) Most importantly the battery life. Its horrible. Maybe I got a defective phone, Im not sure, but its not to the extreme where I have heard stories such as I charged it 100 percent, took it off charge, watched a youtube video and it was dead...its nothing like that at all...but its bad. My Bold had an amazing battery life and I could go two days of frequent usage without charging....the Iphone was usually gone after a full days use, but problem is, I cant even get a full days use of the EVO...Im lucky to get half a days use and with moderate usage.
    Last night I charged it fully, took it off the charger at 10pm, sent a few texts, went to bed, woke up in the morning to a message my battery was lower then 15 percent remaining. And yes, I had a task killer running, and I shut the screen off and locked it.
    check to see if you're phone is constantly checking for a non-existant GSM signal.

change GSM auto prl to CDMA auto - Android Forums

turning that off made my phone run *much* longer
    06-17-2010 10:00 AM
    if the samsung galaxy s pro has a bettera camera and louder volume with headphones im leaving also
    guess you'll need a new username, eh?
    06-17-2010 10:01 AM
    I hard-reset 5 days after purchasing and it helped my battery life immensely. I also did NOT re-install any task killer and my battery life improved. Something to consider and by no means do not want to hijack this thread with the task killer debate.
    just wondering, as i've seen more than one mention of this about task killing apps being worse off to use - why is that?
    06-17-2010 10:06 AM
    Hmmm I came from a Pre. My Evo actually runs great. I have done the GSM to CDMA fix, (Phone was set to GSM btw) and I also did the battery green lite fix. (Which by the way only took 3 cycles. On to green Off to green, when I turned on again, 1 sec it was green)

I personally believe you have a faulty battery/phone. My phone has never ran hot..ever. My battery life is pretty decent imo...considering I have watched all of Alice in Wonderland, took phone calls, did emails, and basically showed off to Iphone guys/gals at work, and I still have 40% by the time I reach home. I also charge overnight. I always have. I have no clue why you would not with a smartphone...

Coming from the Pre which I still feel that Web-OS was good, just on crappy hardware and lacked dev support, I love my Evo. And yes I have used and setup crackberries and all other types of phones. This is my first Android phone and yes, colour me impressed. In the end though, get what works for you. If that is a crackberry, then so be it.
    06-17-2010 10:13 AM
    just wondering, as i've seen more than one mention of this about task killing apps being worse off to use - why is that?
    Because from what I read, and experience for myself, is that the Evo/2.1 Android OS is smart enough to turn off what you are not using. I had the free task killer, and in truth I did not see a huge battery performance jump with it.

I did not see my battery improve until I switched off the GSM. That made the difference. Since that, I uninstalled my task killer and my phone is running fine. IMO, you do not need a task killer unless a app just hangs...and you can just use the native FC menu to kill the app.
    06-17-2010 10:17 AM
    I don't see how this stock keyboard is a problem, unless if you only text while driving.
    My phone only heats up coz it's a HOT PHONE!! EEEEEWWW THIS PHONE IS HOT!!
    06-17-2010 10:25 AM
    Just to add my voice to the chorus, your task killer is what is eating your battery so bad. You've got an app that you use frequently that wants to run, and your task killer kills it. Then, because it still wants to run, it loads itself back up. While this is all happening, both your task killer and the app it's killing are keeping your phone from sleeping, thus draining your battery at an expedited rate.

Hope this helps you!
    06-17-2010 10:32 AM
    Whether you need to use ATK or not, it all depends on if you need to terminate apps by yourself or by OS. I am not sure if there are any apps alive consume battery a lot. If you use ATK to kill some apps consume battery a lot, it might save your battery. But I have to say there isn't any app can save battery directly. Every app can consume resource and can consume battery. So I suggest you don't use ATK very often. According to google's investigation, 3g, wifi, internet, gps consume battery a lot. I suggest you turn off those kind of apps to see if your battery live a little longer.

Regards,
    Rechild Support Team
    06-17-2010 10:55 AM
    I'm with the OP on this. I'm contemplating returning my Evo, but for the Droid X, but can't decide. Not sure I want to pay $10 more a month with Verizon...but what's $10 more a month for a phone with possible better battery and better service. Hmm....such a decision!
    06-17-2010 11:45 AM
    Just to add my voice to the chorus, your task killer is what is eating your battery so bad. You've got an app that you use frequently that wants to run, and your task killer kills it. Then, because it still wants to run, it loads itself back up. While this is all happening, both your task killer and the app it's killing are keeping your phone from sleeping, thus draining your battery at an expedited rate.

Hope this helps you!

Right, so what do you do if its not killing them efficiently. Or if its not killing the ones you want to kill? For example it loads Sprint nav on start up, and if you use sprint nav, then close, it will still run in the background, and still drain your battery.

Not sure but the devs say that it closing apps is not a good way to work in a mobile environment.

We did not want to require that users close applications when "done" with them. Such a usage pattern does not work well in a mobile environment, where usage tends to involve repeated brief contact with a wide variety of applications throughout the day.

Some here say not to use Tasks Killers, others say if you dont use them it will extremely slow down your phone.

Others if you use a Task Killer you will kill your battery.

So, which is it?
    06-17-2010 12:07 PM
    I have seen a lot of complaints concerning battery life of the EVO. I had the same problem the first day I got the phone. Mine is running beautifully now. I'm not sure what change helped the most, but here are a few things that helped.
    -If you are not in a 4g area, make sure 4g is off. I keep the 4G, Mobile, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Hotspot and GPS widgets(the small ones) on a favorites page. For me this allows me to keep the phone running the most efficient. When I am home, I turn on wi-fi (if you have it) and shut mobile internet off completely. I also turn off GPS and Bluetooth.
    When I am out, I turn off WIFI and turn on 3g Mobile (not 4g unless you are in a 4g area).
    I think that the issues with the phone, which will be included in some upcoming fixes (supposed to be), is that the phone continuously tries to access whatever features you have turned on. For instance, if you are not in a 4g area yet 4g is on, your phone is burning up battery life by trying to access the non-existent 4g. Goes the same for any other features or programs.
    -The task manager/task killer app that I use is from the Android Market designed by Apollo. I have tested a few, but this one seems to do the job the best for my needs. Just remember that some downloaded apps, such as live wallpapers will be killed when the phone is idle. You can ignore the apps that you do not want killed by touching the icon and holding it a few seconds in the kill list. This is the list that pops up for you to select what apps you want to kill. Most programs that are needed will restart automatically if they are killed accidentally. I also noticed that this task manager/killer works great when your phone goes in sleep mode.
    *Just as a note, I charged my battery to a full charge last night and took it off the charger. I unlocked it from sleep mode this morning and still had a full charge. I had no problem getting a full days use out of the phone, even with heavy internet and app usage.

I hope this helps your battery life. If you continue to have problems, feel free to shoot me a message. I will do my best to compare phone settings to make your phone run at it's best.
    Good Luck,
    Matt
    06-17-2010 11:57 PM
    I spam task killer like its second nature to me now, until theres a froyo port with cam support I'm going to stick with the annoying stock os with uninstallable apps that keep popping up like amazon mp3,sprint bloatware etc, and 4G is coming to my town in a few days
    06-18-2010 12:20 AM
    I got Evo since launch date, and had nothing but good experience. Phone is snappy as ever, and please Blackberry can't compare to Evo period. Of course battery on the f-ing Blackberry runs for a long time because the device does nothing. I mean just calling and texting and the browser sucks major one. So those functionality are not power intensive.

Now on the other hand, you can expect the Evo to go 48 hours without charging. I got my with moderate usage and can go through an 8 hours day easy. To solve the battery is so easy, get a) car charger ($20) and/or b) a micro USB cable to plug to computer while at work. I drive on average 1.5 hours a day in the car and within those time, I can certain charge a good amount. At work I plug it into the computer to charge via USB.

I don't get why people keep complaining about battery life for a mobile device? I mean if it's mobile, then batter will run out eventually, just need to plug it in more.

I have the freaking blackberry 8000 series and I hate it everyday until I got Evo, life is all good and man this phone just rox.
    06-18-2010 01:20 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD