Screen fizzled out....

Android Believer

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
...from my sweat apparently. Yesterday afternoon, my car overheated and I barely managed to coast it into a parking spot near my apartment complex before coming to a complete stop due to the engine locking up. I immediately got out of my car and popped the hood to check a few things, and call my dad. I live in central Arkansas, so the temperature outside was in the high 90's and the humidity was extremely high. This meant that after standing there for twenty or so minutes stressed, I was dripping with sweat.....Just to note; I have the Seidio Innocase II and a Ghost Armor screen protector for my Evo.

Once off the phone, I proceeded to open up the native browser on my Evo to look up the number for a wrecker. As I was typing into Google search, my screen started to flicker. It wasn't the actual display itself, it was the light that illuminates the screen to make it visible. About 30-45 seconds later, the light flickered again and just shut off.

I speculate that it was my sweat that ended up killing the LED in my screen display; because I am also plagued with the infamous light leakage, hence where the sweat most likely seeped in. I have in fact tried to rice trick since, and highly doubt it will work, considering how the LED acted and immediately fizzled out.

I called the Best Buy where I initially purchased my Evo on Launch day from and was informed that the only stock they were to recieve the next few weeks was strictly for pre-order customers; they then referred me to call htc about the problem and try to activate the manufacturers warranty. So I then called htc technical support and was transferred the the repair department. Once on the phone with a rep, she informed me that they do not have an exchance policy, that they only do repairs. She said that all avaiable parts are being focused on the manufacture of new Evo's and that they currently won't have access to any repair parts until mid-July. We then performed a conference call with Sprint tech support and were told that there are no available Evo's for exchange, that my best bet would be to take my Evo to an actual Sprint Store and try to have them honor my 30-day exchange policy with Sprint.

So, long story short, I'm without a car and my Evo...Lovely. Sorry about the rant. I would appreciate any insight or suggestions.

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I had the same Issue Try Shaking it the Screen might come back on... Once the Sweat Dries the Screen Should work again... Mine does and I haven't had an Issue since...

good luck

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
I'd speak to the Best Buy Manager, and if needed even the District Manager. They need to push a preorder back to take care of this for you.

Android Believer

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I had the same Issue Try Shaking it the Screen might come back on... Once the Sweat Dries the Screen Should work again... Mine does and I haven't had an Issue since...

good luck

Yeah, initially when it started to flicker, I could shake it and it would come back on. But almost 20 minutes later it just wouldn't come back on. So I'm betting that the LED's in the screen shorted out due to the moisture and heat.

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, initially when it started to flicker, I could shake it and it would come back on. But almost 20 minutes later it just wouldn't come back on. So I'm betting that the LED's in the screen shorted out due to the moisture and heat.

Sux... Best bet is a BestBuy Manager...

boggs3010#AC

Banned
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Best Buy are aholes, they wont replace it for you because then they can't sell one to make money. Boils down to they DO NOT CARE it is your problem to figure it out. I would go to a Sprint repair center and they will replace the phone for you.

Or go to Best Buy and remind them the customer comes first. If you bought a tv and it failed in a few weeks they would swap that out in minutes. Why the change of policy on a phone?

Android Believer

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Regarding Best Buy

I work at Home Depot and we have a Best Buy right next door to us; just happens to be the one I initially bought my Evo from on launch day. I went in and explained to the two Mobile reps my situation. They pondered for a little while and decided that the best alternative was to exchange my Evo with something else, and put me on the priority list for the next shipment of Evo's; meaning I'll supposedly be guaranteed an Evo on the next shipment.

I ended up getting a Samsung Moment...was the only thing they practically had, no Heros or anything. But I'm feeling good about the situation and hopefully I'll have another Evo in a week or so.

Edge767

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I work at Home Depot and we have a Best Buy right next door to us; just happens to be the one I initially bought my Evo from on launch day. I went in and explained to the two Mobile reps my situation. They pondered for a little while and decided that the best alternative was to exchange my Evo with something else, and put me on the priority list for the next shipment of Evo's; meaning I'll supposedly be guaranteed an Evo on the next shipment.

I ended up getting a Samsung Moment...was the only thing they practically had, no Heros or anything. But I'm feeling good about the situation and hopefully I'll have another Evo in a week or so.

This sounds more reasonable than "you're SOL."

bmhanson

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Android Believer;171317We then performed a conference call with Sprint tech support and were told that there are no available Evo's for exchange said:
Just FYI, this won't happen. I had a similar issue with my Pre I got when it launched. Needed to exchange and Best Buy did not have any. Sprint was adamant that within the forst 30 days it has to be handled through the place of purchase. Escalated to their executive support and still no go.

She did help me find a Sprint store that had a phone in stock. I was able to return it to Best Buy and just go buy a new phoen from Sprint.

Android Believer

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Just FYI, this won't happen. I had a similar issue with my Pre I got when it launched. Needed to exchange and Best Buy did not have any. Sprint was adamant that within the forst 30 days it has to be handled through the place of purchase. Escalated to their executive support and still no go.

She did help me find a Sprint store that had a phone in stock. I was able to return it to Best Buy and just go buy a new phoen from Sprint.

Yeah, that's what I thought after talking with the two closest Sprint stores to me. Only way I can get one from a Sprint store is to return mine at Best Buy and then use that money to purchase one at a Sprint store, but to me, that's too much time and money spent. It's just easier to exchange for the Samsung Moment and wait for the next shipment......And did I mention how CRAPPY the Moment is compared to the Evo? I have the same feeling with this Moment as if I had just watched a movie at home on my 60'' HDTV and then went to work, and watched a spoof of the same movie on one of those little 7'' radio TV's that displayed in Black and White.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy