Question about Swype

Kamen

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I just installed the Swype beta yesterday and I love it thus far. One thing I am having trouble with is figuring out how to collapse the keyboard when you are done with it. With the stock keyboard there is the icon on the lower left that will collapse it, but I don't see that for Swype. Is this just a beta limitation? Any suggestions would be great.

Raf

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Thinking about trying out Swype...is that just downloaded from the Market app? Also...how do you go about making it your default keyboard and furthermore...if I wanted to resort back to the stock keyboard...how do I execute that?

dsw10482

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
you need to sign up at there site for the beta, its not in the market, long press on the text input to switch between keyboards, thats how you change back, if you hate it just uninstall it

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I am trying it. I am not usually one for gimmicky input methods but this is not bad actually. Better than I thought it would be.

My only problem is my finger sometimes covers up the keys so it is sometimes hard to know where to drag to, other than that the predictive input seems fairly good.

Cubanjinx

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I am trying it. I am not usually one for gimmicky input methods but this is not bad actually. Better than I thought it would be.

My only problem is my finger sometimes covers up the keys so it is sometimes hard to know where to drag to, other than that the predictive input seems fairly good.

That the good thing about swype, you don't have to be all that accurate. 95% of the time id I'm in the area of the letters I want I'll get my word, If its wrong it still guesses wat I wanted in the pop up box

Bic

May 18, 2010
Visit site
It's amazing. I've tried it now for a couple of days and hope this is a permanent keyboard for the Evo.

paulsalem

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to install the shapewriter.apk file without going through the market? Can I just use adb push and put it in the /system/app file?

Shawheim

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to install the shapewriter.apk file without going through the market? Can I just use adb push and put it in the /system/app file?

transfer it to your phone in usb mode then use a file manager like astro to find and install it. make sure that you have unknown sources checked in the applications menu in your settings.

The Twanksta

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I've been using swype for about the last week and I don't know if I could go back to the stock keyboard now that I like it so much! There are a couple feature I miss from the stock keyboard, but none I can't live without.mostly the arrows and the keyboard minimize quick key.

LikeAChampion3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Ha. Took me a few days to figure this out...The answer is: Back Button. Simple enough.

Gotta say swype is friggin' sweet. I have to spend a little more time with it for things like passwords and user names, I think there is a way to save them into the memory so you can easily swype them...I hope so anyway, since that is the one major drawback so far

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Thinking about trying out Swype...is that just downloaded from the Market app? Also...how do you go about making it your default keyboard and furthermore...if I wanted to resort back to the stock keyboard...how do I execute that?

Swype is pretty cool.. I really like it... I got the Beta but they don't offer it in the Market.. It's well worth a few bucks.... Don't know why but it's been in Beta FOREVER...

EVO1Android

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I think there is a way to save them into the memory so you can easily swype them...I hope so anyway, since that is the one major drawback so far

To add them to the memory you just manually type them (one key at a time) and press the spacebar.

At first I was unsure if I wanted to try swype, but I eventually gave in and am loving it!!!

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting used to it pretty quickly. Being a touch typer it's hard for me to think where the letters are on the keyboard when my finger is swyping around. Sometimes I end up with extra words but it's surprisingly good at figuring out what I was trying to do. One tip that has helped my speed is to just swype out what I want to say and ignore the pop up box. Then go back and double tap on the words that aren't right and change them.

The other thing I really like is the two kinds of number keypads. The square one makes it much easier to enter a bunch of numbers than the others I've tried.

One reason this is probably in a long beta is that they're still tweaking it and you don't get as many complaints if people didn't have to pay for it. Plus, we get hooked on it and then when they do want to charge, we're much more pliable. I can imagine that if someone thinks they have to like it in the first day or ask for a refund, it's better to build up a bunch of advocates who already like it.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I tried a leaked beta and then got into the official one and both times, I ditched it after a couple of days because I got fed up with it repeatedly being absolutely certain it knew what word I was trying to input over and over and over, each time requiring a slow erasure and reattempt at input. Any speed pickups you make are rapidly wiped out and the frustration isn't worth it. Returning to the stock keyboard makes me marvel at how much faster I am with my fat thumbs input being auto-corrected and predicted.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I tried a leaked beta and then got into the official one and both times, I ditched it after a couple of days because I got fed up with it repeatedly being absolutely certain it knew what word I was trying to input over and over and over, each time requiring a slow erasure and reattempt at input. Any speed pickups you make are rapidly wiped out and the frustration isn't worth it. Returning to the stock keyboard makes me marvel at how much faster I am with my fat thumbs input being auto-corrected and predicted.

I am 10 times faster with Swype... It has it's quirks and like you I had a leaked beta file on my Nexus One and my EVO before getting the official beta invite. For me it's damn accurate and I have quickly learned the words it just isn't going to get and manually type them before even attempting the Swype method. I have also learned to hit the Caps button right before Swyping a name that the stock Keyboard auto Caps... Seems they could have made an adjustment that does that but no cigar (or I am missing a setting some where) Either way once you get use to it I have found it to be amazingly accurate easily 80% of the time... Again there are just some words that sucker isn't even close on and most of them I have learned so I don't do a lot of back peddling.....

bnewt

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've been using swype for about the last week and I don't know if I could go back to the stock keyboard now that I like it so much! There are a couple feature I miss from the stock keyboard, but none I can't live without.mostly the arrows and the keyboard minimize quick key.

1) Swype your finger from the [Swype] key to the [keyboard] key next to it (SYM, or ABC, or 123 ABC, whichever it is showing at the time) to pop up the arrow keyboard

2) "Back" capacitative touch button minimizes the keyboard in a single touch

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke